Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

I'm just surprised we didnt have footers as early as we did with Banshee

If we did then we already knew it was a wooden roller coaster. Even though we've suspected it for a long time. It's hard to figure out a manufacturer for steel roller coasters when it's just footers.
But the lack of footers earlier has nothing to do with marketing and keeping the ride hush hush.. they just didnt need to start pouring footers yet in order to finish on time (which is what initially surprised me). If they needed to have the footers in earlier AND they cared about the announcement being a surprise (which it wasnt) then they would've announced earlier .
  • Like 5

Has the park said if the coaster will be painted/stained?  I love the look of fresh wood, but within 6 months, unstained wood turns grey.

Just wondering about aesthetics...

Shaggy

I have not seen anything officially, but it would only make sense for them to put some sort of protective coating on it, which probably would protect the wood and keep it looking nice.

• Like 2

Not to mention the old funnel cake building is the first thing you see on the satellite image ground when the train comes out of the station. We already know exactly where the station is, and therefore if it crosses the tracks.. idk why it took me this long to realize that..

• Like 4

I was at the park on Sunday (Aug 28th) and I was able to get some shots of the the bents before they put them up!  Check out this video, it has a lot of different views and shows a lot of the structure before they started putting it up yesterday!  

-Chad

• Like 7

I wonder how many of the other footings they've poured already.  I find it surprising that they are just now pouring the footings for the lift (currently happening on the webcam as I post this).  Have they poured footings further back in the layout already?  

For those keeping track of construction progression, it'll be hard to do so unless you actually visit the park as the camera only shows the lift and the following hill.  

Also, judging by the area they have to work with, this looks like it'll have a pretty steep first drop. As seen on the camera, the bents just to the right of DB's track looks like its for track that's lower to the ground and as you look left, the bents stack up more and the lateral bracing angles up more.  It looks like from that point of view, it'll be right in line with DB's hill going up to the left.  I'm guessing the crest will be right at the edge of the tree line, which isn't a lot of space for a 97+ ft drop, thus my guess of a steep drop.  If its anything similar to Banshee's first drop, I'll be pretty happy.

I'm guessing the animations don't reflect exactly how the shaping of the track will actually be, so I'm expecting a few surprises in how the track actually comes out.  

• Like 2

^ That's why I'm saying we shouldn't judge the ride by the animation. Because I believe it's not accurate to how the ride looks at all. We still have most of the actual drop it's self not poured (footer wise) Noting by my progress that is placed, there are a lot of supports unplaced still for the drop. We currently have the bottom of the drop.

Edit: What a difference Three days makes!

aGJpT1U.pngPhotos courtesy of @KingsIslandPR on Twitter 

• Like 15

^ That's why I'm saying we shouldn't judge the ride by the animation. Because I believe it's not accurate to how the ride looks at all. We still have most of the actual drop it's self not poured (footer wise) Noting by my progress that is placed, there are a lot of supports unplaced still for the drop. We currently have the bottom of the drop.

Edit: What a difference Three days makes!

aGJpT1U.pngPhotos courtesy of @KingsIslandPR on Twitter

I do know that the leaked layout is not to scale that's for sure. Unless they plan to have a 45 degree lift hill!
  • Like 1

^ Actually, the Distance they honestly need, estimating it from where we are being shown on the ground and using maps to calculate the distance. We have maybe 275-300 feet of room at ground level. With a vertical height of 109.2 feet (as stated on GCI's Website) We are honestly looking at a Vertical Angle of (approximately) 20* Which is quite normal-ish for a Lift Hill on a Wooden roller coaster

As references...

The Beast's Lift 1 has a height of 110ft Using up 260ft of space at ground level. Using the same calculations (a right-triangle calculation) The Beast's Lift Hill is about 23*

Diamondback is 230ft tall, and the lift hill takes up 290 feet at ground level Diamondback has about a 38* Lift Hill

Banshee is 167ft and takes up 205ft, That makes her lift hill angle at 39* Just around the same as Diamondback. 

So I think we will be okay with the angle. It looks like it's about the same as Beast on the video too, just to kind of back up evidence. We will be okay. Trust the park with their knowledge, and what they're doing.

Edit: Racer has an angle of 18* 88ft lift hill with 270ft of space at ground level.

• Like 3

It's crazy that they started on the turn first. I thought they would go straight for the lift hill, but either way, they're moving along at a nice pace. Go Kings Island! It's your birthday! It's your birthday! Lol

There is a method to the madness. I believe they will build to where the lift hill goes under the flyover then build the lift hill to the bottom of the drop just so they can get equipment into and out of the worksite easily and the track on the station side from the lake back to the station would come next. I believe from what we can see that the station crossover and final turn crossover will come after the season so the train may operate. I believe the rest of the coaster will probably be built from the back of the coaster to the front, in my opinion.

• Like 6

GCI Wooden coasters are completely framed and built on site.  Even the metal track running plates are cut and bent on site.

In regards to the other question at hand... the pattern by which they are building the coaster is based on ease of getting equipment in and out of the site.

Shaggy

• Like 11

For those that missed it, Six Flags announced all their new rides for 2017 this week.  The only coasters being built are clones of existing rides.  Mystic Timbers looks poised to compete for best new ride of 2017 against InvadR at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.  

So if you are still sad it isn't a Giga or an RMC, no other parks are getting those for 2017 either...unless Cedar Point plays spoiler later this month.

• Like 8

31516a5ca96e34c319cd84c4cdf1b3b5.jpg

184451c0a0be177f12481a77ec382ddd.jpg

2f43f1ff6d025f8911b9d243249ca356.jpg

That's the new access road that is basically in WWC's trench, again. But what I noticed today is that they've cleared stuff out enough that you can see the engine house for the trains on the other side of that hill, now.

Something I noticed before but failed to mention:

I originally assumed any trees with the green spray painted dots were slated to be cut down. It has become clear at this point, as they're the only ones still standing in the clearing, that the green dots meant those trees were meant to be saved.

• Like 17

^ Not to get off topic here, but is he referring to Thunder Road from Carowinds? :unsure:

Yes. Local carpenters assisted with its construction, with Philadelphia Toboggan's supervision I'm sure.

My guess is carpenters and construction crews locally hired with some GCI employees, as that is how many traditional woodies are built such as Riverside Cyclone (now Wicked Cyclone) and Thunder Road.

Well we all know how those woodies turned out...
I'm not too sure about Riverside Cyclone, but Thunder Road was alright until the paint faded and caused the bare wood to rot, which caused structural damage that plagued its life. Both opened with rave reviews and had a lot of fans.

Back on topic, though, I was at the park yesterday and got to see the construction up close. I found it interesting that the footings indicated that the coaster is crossing the train tracks. Should look nice when it's completed.

• Like 2

^ Not to get off topic here, but is he referring to Thunder Road from Carowinds? :unsure:

Yes. Local carpenters assisted with its construction, with Philadelphia Toboggan's supervision I'm sure.

My guess is carpenters and construction crews locally hired with some GCI employees, as that is how many traditional woodies are built such as Riverside Cyclone (now Wicked Cyclone) and Thunder Road.

Well we all know how those woodies turned out...
I'm not too sure about Riverside Cyclone, but Thunder Road was alright until the paint faded and caused the bare wood to rot, which caused structural damage that plagued its life. Both opened with rave reviews and had a lot of fans.

Back on topic, though, I was at the park yesterday and got to see the construction up close. I found it interesting that the footings indicated that the coaster is crossing the train tracks. Should look nice when it's completed.

True statements about Thunder Road!
  • Like 3