Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

I'm curious as to why they are using a backhoe instead of a large trencher to dig out for the footers. Anyone know?

A trencher really isn't designed for footer digging. These footers are at least two foot wide IIRC. Trenchers that big are going to be for heavy duty installations and be much too large for a project like this. Also, trenchers don't have a way of loading the dirt into trucks for haul off and just leaves it next to your hole. They are best for running long trenches for electric lines, sewer lines, etc that are going to be filled in soon after. A backhoe or excavator is really the best for jobs like this. 

• Like 5

I'm curious as to why they are using a backhoe instead of a large trencher to dig out for the footers. Anyone know?

A trencher really isn't designed for footer digging. These footers are at least two foot wide IIRC. Trenchers that big are going to be for heavy duty installations and be much too large for a project like this. Also, trenchers don't have a way of loading the dirt into trucks for haul off and just leaves it next to your hole. They are best for running long trenches for electric lines, sewer lines, etc that are going to be filled in soon after. A backhoe or excavator is really the best for jobs like this. 

Makes sense, thanks for the input, appreciate it.

• Like 2

Can't wait to see this bad boy in person Sunday when I go! I plan to spend some time observing the construction and taking pictures if anybody wants to meet up and join me, maybe we could make a joint update or something? If anything someone come say hi! :P

Can't wait to see it, though. Hoping to get some perspective on this project fairly soon.

• Like 5

Hey everyone. I'm from Ohio Valley Coasters and we do WEEKLY Mystic Timbers updates. Here is the video from this weekend. If you were not able to make it out to KI to see the progress check out this video! Subscribe for more! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, i was hoping you guys were on here. You have the best video updates there are. Always look forward to seeing your newest vid. :)

• Like 4

I noticed something when I was there getting pictures on Sunday.

i6op3ct.jpg

The number on the left is obviously the pre-lift bit, notice how it pretty much dead indicates the level of the station track. This is shown to be level with the shed in the shed rendering, so that should be the level of the shed because if A=B and B=C, A=C. Now look how low that is, if that's a drop track it's the lamest drop track ever and a massive waste of money. 

Got the rest of the pictures I took on my blog if you're interested but that's the biggest thing from my construction update.

• Like 4

^ Fantastic picture there and on your blog as well of the progress so far. I hadn't seen some of those views yet.

As far the drop track, ever since the announcement I've been against the idea that drop track is in the shed, but I guess that's even more reason for it not to be drop track.

• Like 3

I don't think there will be drop track in the shed.  I can't think of another place for them to put a train shed, in which case, I can't conceive of a way to have the drop track and train shed in the same building given the dimensions in the blueprints and the renderings.  GCI's typically have their train sheds before the station.   

• Like 3