Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

This is pretty cool from the Kings Island tweet. <blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WATCH: The standing of the tallest bent on the new Mystic Timbers roller coaster set to open spring 2017. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhatsInTheShed?src=hash">#WhatsInTheShed</a><a href="https://t.co/JmCEeeyca3">pic.twitter.com/JmCEeeyca3</a></p>— Kings Island (@KingsIslandPR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/789890514095050756">October 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Like 2

01f43957a990c1d7e4304a67d286f705.jpg

When I was at the park yesterday morning, I had my first real opportunity to see the track construction. I'm most amazed by the sound of it, so many nails! They put down one board, and the man with the nail gun slowly walks up the hill, quickly shooting a dozen times in a small area, one small step forward and another dozen shots.

07783df30b728bbcee2c28551312e685.jpg

aa900d16c571a3322fe54ad87b068e8a.jpg

Cloud of sawdust as a worker cuts a board to size

da249c9e01bdc09f888552556769cfb6.jpg

I don't know exactly what he was doing up there but he was doing it alone whatever it was.

As far as other construction, they've done a lot of clearing of the area that runs between the turntable and that hill by the train shed. They've presumably been using that temporary gravel road they made that blocks WWC for access.

8ae0221cb2b6091af0f1125966cc725d.jpg

580d0168bffcd9d938a55e1ae663726f.jpg

They've also poured the birthday cakes leading all the way up to the reservoir

8a2e8c22a602e899b11e50bb103d082f.jpg

• Like 16

Oh, the cylindrical round part of the footings above ground (there's also /much/ more concrete poured footings underground, in crosshatch lines, these cylinders are the tips of the icebergs). When they started pouring them someone said they looked like cakes. It stuck in my head.

c182bafcb46e351847c69da394fe7ae0.jpg

From earlier in the construction (believe these are now approximately under the lowest point of the first drop)

You can see the "cakes", along with some of the underground structure before it was covered, on the right side of the pic.

• Like 9

^no guarantees coaster club members will be invited, tho. Considering how negative some "enthusiasts" tend to loudly be about the special things parks do for us, I couldn't blame the park if they keep it actual media only. Of course I hope otherwise.

Never said I was going because a coaster club was invited. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I did not notice, which is not to absolutely say they haven't done anything there. I didn't think to specifically look. I know they hadn't as of last weekend.

I think they're waiting until end of season (one more week, booooo!) so they can take that wall back down and have very free access to the area.

• Like 5

Did anyone else think it took a rather long time to put up that first bent today? They normally would have had 3 up in the time it took them to do just the one, i wonder what the problem was.

Things change, They might've still been working on them? Sometimes they can be slower. They're far ahead of schedule.

• Like 5