Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

I just got back from a trip to Dollywood where I was lucky enough to get on all of their coasters including multiple rides on Lightning Rod and Thunderhead and I must say that as good as Lightning Rod is (and it is very very intense, maybe too intense), I think the better of the two and even the best coaster in that park is Thunderhead.  I expected to have a new number 1 wooden coaster after riding LR but at best it is my number 3 wooden coaster (behind Voyage and Thunderhead) and maybe not even that.  So after all that I left Dollywood even more excited for Mystic Timbers and GCI coming to Kings Island.  I can't wait until the spring, Bring it on!

• Like 9

What lens do you use? And how many mm 35equiv is this photo taken with?

And goettablitz, I had the same take-away. LR is not my top woodie either. Voyage still reigns.. i need to sample ride El Toro to see the other major victor.

I use a 55-300mm zoom lens. Its just the stock lens that Nikon gave me in the 2 lens kit bundle with my D5300. This photo was taken at 185mm according to the data on the file. I'm not sure what the 35mm equivalent would be. 

• Like 6

Probably pretty close to 300mm if it's their typical 58mm thread. I don't know your camera's sensor size but.. yeah :P I assumed it was a crop sensor

It is a crop sensor (Nikon ASP-C). I would love to move up to full frame but I don't have the money nor the time to invest in a FF camera.  :)

• Like 3

Probably pretty close to 300mm if it's their typical 58mm thread. I don't know your camera's sensor size but.. yeah I assumed it was a crop sensor

It is a crop sensor (Nikon ASP-C). I would love to move up to full frame but I don't have the money nor the time to invest in a FF camera. :)
I feel ya. But you're doing better than me because I ended up with only a 1" sensor because I wanted something splash proof and something I wouldnt be required to buy more lenses for... but i probably should've done what most people do regardless hah

Calakapepe I'm in the same boat as you. Still need to get on El Toro but I also feel like Gold Striker, Ravine Flyer 2 and Bolder Dash are probably up there as well.

I really would love to give GS a go and Boulder Dash aswell.

RFII is definitely fun. But if yoi've already done Voyage, RFII is a slight step down.

• Like 2

I would say deer because I have seen deer around the Kings Island old western town. Which was kind of funny because two young deer were playing around, and one decked the other in a playful manner. Also, the conductor stated, "I'll just stop talking since the deer are getting more attention". Which was true.

• Like 5

I see by webcam that they have another stack of bents being assembled, i am hoping they will erect those sometime tomorrow, will be interesting to see where the crane goes after the next 3 or 4 bents go up.

Since they straddled the footers with the crane on the last set of bents, I'm guessing they will continue to do that and just keep moving down the lift. At least until they get to the motor block footer. 

• Like 3

I saw deer just off the track on The Beast.  Thanks to the fencing in that area there was no threat of them jumping on to the track, but it does give you a physiological thrill for a second when I first saw them and thinking "oh crap, please stay right where you are at"

• Like 7

The sun peeking through Mystic Timbers, while construction workers continue their work!

Side Note: I wonder how many C-Clamps the crew runs through in building a coaster like this!?!?

Enough to make wood curve. Going to have to move that crane again, before too much longer. The further off center you get, the less it can carry and not lift as high.

• Like 3

I'm guessing they're building to a point where when they move the crane, it'll be within an ideal distance as not to over extend to keep building.  There don't appear to be a lot of options on where to move it given what they've already built, the trees they've left intact, and the terrain.  I'm guessing the next placement will be somewhere on the old WWC queue.

• Like 3

Those construction guys are currently climbing around that 100 ft. hill like monkeys. Please tell me they have some kind of tether up there.

THey do, if you look at the topping off video, you can see cables attached to each bent and they attach to that with their harness that each worker is required to wear.

• Like 3