Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

Wasnt aware there was a topping off video existed :o

And I know what you mean. The GCI lift hill in the trees makes me feel like KI is a different park! It's like when i first sighted Thunderhead in the distance

Yes it's the video they did of standing the tallest bent, the camera was mounted to the end of the crane so you get an overhead view of them placing it  and the workers securing it from the top.  You can find the vid on their twitter page.

• Like 3

^The tallest bent video was posted several days ago:

This is pretty cool from the Kings Island tweet.

WATCH: The standing of the tallest bent on the new Mystic Timbers roller coaster set to open spring 2017. https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhatsInTheShed?src=hash"]#WhatsInTheShed[/url]href="https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/789890514095050756"]October 22, 2016[/url]

• Like 2

That link doesn't work because someone tried to embed the tweet rather than just link to it. Here are the links to both the Twitter and Facebook videos of the top-off. Take your pick :)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/789890514095050756

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland/videos/10155268891653368/

• Like 5

From what I understand of where the shed will be, they haven't started on the footings there yet.

60ba41e9f3eef0664c26626285091bf2.jpg

This is along the beginning of the train route looking back toward the turntable. I noticed you can actually see clear through at this point. That's the building beside the turntable you can see in the middle of the shot. This view is a little before that temporary gravel road they made across WWC's trough.

503d411927a4df0d19edeac883eaf03d.jpg

They've done even more clearing of the hill that runs alongside the KI&MVRR train shed

0a8f2263a599f633094b401a35a74b62.jpg

Including what I believe is the rough path where Mr. T will switch back

3c66a2c8d6c3a29c5d68bc380e7e47c3.jpg

More new concrete has been poured in the main work area, linking up with the ones I showed last week leading up to the reservoir

Unless that is around where the shed will be, now I think of it? So, yes, individuals rather than a slab, it looks like.

• Like 16

I believe that last photo is where the shed may end up. Up to right before the train tracks?

yeah, i think so.There are footings there, which makes it safe to assume it will not have a drop track. I think if it were a drop track, it would have a large rectangular concrete foundation or something similar.

• Like 1

What is people`s insistence on it being a drop track?  Also, since when are people structural engineers and know what element will or will not be based on the shape of the footings?  As I have said before, I think that part of what is in the shed will be the transfer/storage track area.  What else KI has in store, I do not know.  

Based on the my trip up the Eiffel Tower, I think the station will end up being fairly close to both the train tracks and Race For Your Life Charlie Brown.  There certainly doesn`t seem like there will be much room for a big queue line.  I could see them taking out some of the trees by the train exit to expand the midway/provide a queue.  Is it April 15th yet?

• Like 7

^Agreed.  I, again, raise the question to people who think the shed has drop track to tell me where they'd put the storage track.  The shed is the only logical place where storage track could possibly be, and GCI doesn't seem the type of company who'd design some hair-brained combination drop-track/storage track contraptions.  

As for a queue, I think they could re-use some of the old WWC queue, which, they'd only need to widen a little bit to make an efficient enough queue.  As great as GCI's are, I don't see them building as lengthy a queue area as, say, Banshee and Diamondback.  

• Like 2

The only problem with reusing the old WWC queue is that it is on the other side of the tracks.  And most of it has probably been destroyed with all the construction (it was nothing more than an asphalt path and a wooden fence).  

While they won`t need a queue as big as Diamondback/Banshee, they will need a bigger queue than what Thunderhead at Dollywood has.  That is a small queue and I would think they would want enough queue to hold about an hour`s worth of a wait.

• Like 3

What is people`s insistence on it being a drop track?  Also, since when are people structural engineers and know what element will or will not be based on the shape of the footings?  As I have said before, I think that part of what is in the shed will be the transfer/storage track area.  What else KI has in store, I do not know.  

I used to think how you could tell what will be what from footings but that was until I reread some of the conversations on TPR about the construction of Thunderbird earlier today (I know really nerdy). One person correctly guessed the launch, immellmann loop, and banked helix all based on what the footings looked like and how the rebar (if that's the correct term for it) was positioned. So there are people who can tell based off of footing what may generally go in a certain spot.

I will agree with you. I think the shed will mostly be a transfer track and maybe a simple post ride show.

• Like 3

As they have done more construction, I've gotten better at being able to "see" where things are going to go. I am fairly certain the station and queues are going to be in the area where they took out the funnel cake stand.

It makes way more sense to have it on that side of the train tracks, but beyond that, it is the right spot when you look at the layout and the current construction.

Gannersdaddy and I were talking about it yesterday at the park and agreed that this little dip that they have had constructed for awhile, away from the main construction over by DB...

65e287c7553545576160dba786cd7e43.jpg (this is from the train, looking from just after the reservoir)

... must be the bottom of the lift hill, where the track will ultimately pass over as part of the big hill after the first drop (which is why they had to build it early)

d89bc48180dcd23685d186d6857995ab.jpg

And, it leads right up next to the train tracks

27ec2223ea3bff1e0daed6fc0fa84743.jpg

e703fd1a6f1bc30eb3ed27a7b3d8ce0a.jpg

So, it is clearly going to go over them and to the other side

It would be easier if the layout showed where the train track crossing will be, and the actual construction layout of that area, but it doesn't. Because there isn't room in that area for the train to get through, according to the drawing, but it clearly will need to, according to how they are building on site.

Pardon my phone drawing skills, but I think this is approximately the path of the train tracks, with the black "rectangle" representing approximately where the KI&MVRR Losantiville station lines up.

a418da1551ac687e199dd1adcec01727.jpg

• Like 8

I think your guess of where the train tracks will cross under the ride is pretty close to accurate, based on what I have seen from the footings/current structure that is standing.  Being an architect, I do have some insights into layout based on foundations, etc. even if I am in no way involved with said project.

• Like 6

I can't tell for certain, but looking at the webcam, I think they may have already taken down the wall. If so, they should finally be starting work in the new station/old funnel cake location.

I also forgot to mention, but NoChickens noticed yesterday the little theming "ticketing office" shed that stood across from the train station was no longer there. I don't know how long it was missing. The last picture I actually have of it was July 25th, but I don't think it had been gone more than a few weeks at the most.

Edit: actually it was a "telegraph and post office" and the best picture I took of it all season (one of only two, oddly enough) is a warped shot from when it accidentally was included on the end of a panorama.

c7bc200e7c012539df26b484183ef92a.jpg

• Like 9

I just noticed something about the rendition regarding the shed.  There's another section of straight track before the curve into the station that almost looks long enough to accommodate a train.  The 'shed' surprises may lie in that section.  

How many trains is this going to have?  If there's 3, that might be another block section.  Even newer GCI's with only 2 trains sometimes have a few block sections before the station.  Still not going with drop track though.  

• Like 3

I last took a picture with that shed thing on october 1st. So it's a fairly recent removal... not sure why it needed to be removed.

And Magenta, I think you're right. I've been thinking that was the juxtaposition (correct word usage?) Of the tracks and queue for awhile now. Hence my photo of the train showing that the coaster could easily be tall enough yo go over the train.

• Like 2

if i had to guess, a block is going to be outside the shed and then inside the shed, but thats just my guessing

Most likely. Thats how the animation shows it. Being a full stop before the shed. Definitely enough space for at least 1 train in the shed. Probably another block just before the station, after the in-the-shed turn.
  • Like 2