Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

I decided yesterday since there were 99 days until park open that I wanted to do my own version of "99 bottles" by tweeting my way through the pics I took throughout last season related to the speculation and construction of "Project 2017" Mystic Timbers. 

If you've been following this thread there won't be a lot new to you, but I'm finding it fun to go back to the beginning and relive when we really had no idea what was to come. 

My first tweet (from yesterday) is here: 

I leave it to you to "find" today's tweet and follow along if you're interested :) 

• Like 11

Does anyone know if Mystic Timbers (or GCI coasters in general) will have drive wheels in the station and brake runs to further capacity? Or will they operate similarly to Beast where the brakes are simply released and gravity takes the train out of the station?

Anyone know from previous GCI rides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

FYI, I was given those architectural plans by a friend that was asked to bid the building of the shade structures. Nowhere on the proposal did it indicate that these plans were to be kept secret. I have posted snapshots to Facebook and twitter weeks ago in areas that KI folks could clearly see and have not been asked to remove them. If you all want to keep your head in the sand that is fine. Otherwise I am happy to share the  much better PDF file that can be zoomed in on to show much better detail. The plans that I have reveal nothing more than is already visible in those twitter pics, however it is nice to be able to zoom in at will.

• Like 2

The words here are professionalism and integrity. If you are asked to bid a project and given foundation and structure drawings to do so, one you don't share with your friends. Second, as a friend you don't spread them all over the internet and possibly risk your friend loosing his bid. Third, they don't reveal what's in the shead.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, goettablitz said:

I believe that the 2 GCI's that I have ridden (Thunderhead and American Thunder) both run 2 trains.

Yeah, all the other GCIs have 2 trains (sans the racing/dueling coasters which have 4 for obvious reasons).  

• Like 2

FYI, I was given those architectural plans by a friend that was asked to bid the building of the shade structures. Nowhere on the proposal did it indicate that these plans were to be kept secret. I have posted snapshots to Facebook and twitter weeks ago in areas that KI folks could clearly see and have not been asked to remove them. If you all want to keep your head in the sand that is fine. Otherwise I am happy to share the  much better PDF file that can be zoomed in on to show much better detail. The plans that I have reveal nothing more than is already visible in those twitter pics, however it is nice to be able to zoom in at will.

I didn't say the images were intended to be secret, just that I didn't know. But it's cool to see the queue plans line we got to see before Banshee was announced.
  • Like 2

Double posting, but in the animation, as the train leaves the station, transfer track is seen protruding from the first segment of the shed. However, the track segment is elevated to such a degree, that a clearance envelope would be violated. Hence the only way to return to the track height of the second structure while covering 0 feet horizontally is a drop track.

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4130.PNG

Images: Mystic Timbers POV animation on visitkingsisland.com: https://mystictimbers.visitkingsisland.com/nature-rises/ride-videos

• Like 3

Ok...seriously, this isn't going to be drop track. It'd be very technical to combine a drop track section with a transfer track, that building is the only logical spot for a train shed, and GCI is one of the last companies I can think of to try something like that.  

Not. Gonna.  Happen. 

Don't go by animation so much.  Use actual logic to think things through. 

• Like 13

During his spot on FOX19 Now this morning, Don Helbig mentioned something interesting about the shed experience. He was asked about how Mystic Timbers will be different at night: 

"Yeah, very much again like The Beast: two different experiences, totally different animal at night. Then you have also that tantalizing mystery with this ride of what's in the shed, and that's going to be different as well too, you know. So there's going to be some light that comes in the shed during the day, not at night, so again two different experiences."

I've mentioned before that I think what is in the shed is screens. It makes me wonder if he was alluding to more of a difference than it being darker in there at night, like maybe a different video experience. Only 93 days (possibly less) until we should know!

• Like 6

Either that, I'm getting that you think there might be two intentional experiences in there, similar to Verbolten's little show portion having three styles.

I took that the shed won't be completely sealed from light. So, lots of underglow like is seen in typical tunnels.. I hope it won't be super humid in that shed... maybe that's why some light will spill in too, air vents towards the top

• Like 5

Also from FOX19 Now, Don Helbig gave an update on where construction is at the moment. The lift hill and first drop, and going into the first part of the ride are done, but coming around the train house, over WWC and back to the station still needs to be completed. It is still on course to be finished by opening day, tho. 

• Like 6