Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

11 hours ago, JCJTheHurricane said:

I wonder if ever a strangely tall person has ever actually hit their hands on something overhead that supposedly passed a clearance test? :huh:

11 hours ago, calakapepe said:

I'd be surprised if that has never happened.

And Im aware of clearance tests that should always happen emoji14.png

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Case in point: Millennium Force. The unaltered support passed clearance testing, but was altered in it's first few years (see below, center right), presumably due to people being able to make contact with the support:

millenniumforce03-43.jpg

Also, I have personally seen a friend who was able to lean far to the side and smack her hand on Beast's helix tunnel wall and she wasn't abnormally tall or anything (not the wisest decision, but hey, we were young and reckless). It's certainly possible, and she definitely never tried it again as it was pretty badly cut up.

• Like 2

^yep, that's what I was talking about on the last page. What's particularly scary about it for me is that I had my arms crossed at the wrists, and was not leaning to the side. I got jostled a bit just before entering the tunnel, and my arms shifted a little left of center over my head. And the contact point wasn't my fingertips but the corner of my wrist, so it could be contacted by someone with about six inches (the length of my hand) less reach. 

• Like 6

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Case in point: Millennium Force. The unaltered support passed clearance testing, but was altered in it's first few years (see below, center right), presumably due to people being able to make contact with the support:

millenniumforce03-43.jpg.6fb15728da7b4ff8be1f7946760300cc.jpg

Also, I have personally seen a friend who was able to lean far to the side and smack her hand on Beast's helix tunnel wall and she wasn't abnormally tall or anything (not the wisest decision, but hey, we were young and reckless). It's certainly possible, and she definitely never tried it again as it was pretty badly cut up.

Which is what i said.

"I'd be surprised if that has never happened" even thinking specifically of magenta lizard who isnt "strangely tall" even. (If I recall)

I said I would be surprised if there was NOT a case of a tall person smacking a supposedly clear area...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

Which is what i said.

"I'd be surprised if that has never happened" even thinking specifically of magenta lizard who isnt "strangely tall" even. (If I recall)

I said I would be surprised if there was NOT a case of a tall person smacking a supposedly clear area...

Apologies, I misread what you said a few times! But I think my point is still valid in that clearly MF had some issues, and that it doesn't even take a tall person on Beast.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, johnaalexis said:

Anyone know what the regulation for clerance is? I'm just wondering where the line of too close is. Trying to google it but it's not turning up much. 

You will have a difficult time finding anything.  Almost everything related to theme parks is regulated at the state level.  So it ranges from states where almost anything goes to states which have very strict set in stone rules.

• Like 3

You will have a difficult time finding anything.  Almost everything related to theme parks is regulated at the state level.  So it ranges from states where almost anything goes to states which have very strict set in stone rules.

I assumed, I was just trying to find ohios lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

As of the writing of this post, the Ohio Department of Agriculture is responsible for approving the operation of amusement rides in Ohio. Because I don't want this post to be cited as a definitive source of information in school papers, news articles, or court proceedings, I'm not going to say anything more than that.

If you're curious about the regulations concerning ride clearances, I'd start there. You may be surprised by what you find online.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, johnaalexis said:

Anyone know what the regulation for clerance is? I'm just wondering where the line of too close is. Trying to google it but it's not turning up much. 

Not exactly what you are looking for but Google images turned up a few examples of clearance testing MF back in 2000(??) and Seaworld's Manta more recent. I guess each park (or manufacturer) has their own method. 

Source:...

http://www.coasterbuzz.com/CoasterPhotoPhotoImage/200

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=204&linkid=4696

200.jpeg

manta_021309_07.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

As of the writing of this post, the Ohio Department of Agriculture is responsible for approving the operation of amusement rides in Ohio. Because I don't want this post to be cited as a definitive source of information in school papers, news articles, or court proceedings, I'm not going to say anything more than that.

If you're curious about the regulations concerning ride clearances, I'd start there. You may be surprised by what you find online.

I found what seemes to be just the recorded of some amusement park regulations but nothing on clearences in that. I'll keep digging and if I find anything I'll post. Thanks!!

53 minutes ago, KingsMills79 said:

Not exactly what you are looking for but Google images turned up a few examples of clearance testing MF back in 2000(??) and Seaworld's Manta more recent. I guess each park (or manufacturer) has their own method. 

Source:...themeparkreview, coasterbuzz and guidetothepoint

200.jpeg

manta_021309_07.jpg

Awesome! Thanks! I wad just curious if their was like a number, say "There must be a clearance of X number of feet at all times." I'm still looking into it but I haven't ound anything yet! 

• Like 3

So far.... to answer my own question.... Also, not sure if this is 100% accurate but it has come from good sources and I found the same information on other sources. 

- The clearance envelope (the area around you that should be open/free from obstruction) is based on several factors - 

- The Train/Car, the appropriate size of riders, and the reach of the average rider (reach envelope, I've seen it called) 

- They use a scale to determine the average rider, and their reach then add 3 inches to their reach.

- I don't have the full book but, I found some articles an PDF's of Standards set by ASTM International and it says " 6.6.1 Amusement rides and devices shall be designed to provide a patron clearance envelope adequate to minimize the opportunity for contact between the patron and other objects where said contact is likely to cause injury. " and then goes on to say " 6.6.3 The designer/engineer shall determine the shape and size of the required patron clearance envelope based on the appropriate patron model, the patron reach envelope, and the design of the patron containment system, if any. The minimum patron model shall be based on Dreyfuss Human Scale 4/5/6 (1), 7/8/9 (2), SAE J833, or CDC 95th percentile, with an additional (extended) arm and leg reach of 3 in..." ". These are from the 2015 standards. I couldn't find anything more current. 

- So, if someone is outside of the average then it would make sense if the could or couldn't touch parts of the ride they shouldn't. This may have been the case on Millenium Force like in the previouly posted picture. Now, it got me curious about The Beast conundrum I don't have an answer for that. I have found some speculation about it but not anything significant. Some say it was before the current safety standards so they did it differently, but I can't say one way or another and I'm not going to eve try lol.

SO...... Basically it seems to me that they have a number for the reach of the average rider and then add 3 inches and that the clearance.

Ps. Tell me if I'm wayyyy wrong lol   

• Like 4

For The Beast tunnel, I feel like the should increase the height. People are going to put their hands up even if the ride tells them not (TTD for ex). I think it's best just to make the helix tunnel higher just to boost safety Because at the speed you going I think it would be possible to get a broken hand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, calakapepe said:

Which is what i said.

I'm only 5'10, and if I put my hands up, I can probably easily hit the top of the helix tunnel.

• Like 3