Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

The only way realistically to avoid this being spoiled is to avoid all press, sites, news on the week of KI opening.  And even then you aren't guaranteed anything.  And I doubt the GP isn't going to look at this as "spoiling" something the same way they would, say, a movie.    

• Like 6

On the QCD blog, there's a very telling picture. The section of track at the end is the brake run to enter the shed. Now, if you assume the bents are 6 feet long, it's 24 feet high. Now the station is set up to be 12 feet tall. That's a 12 foot difference and the gradient would be too much for the GCI drive wheels. I'm saying drop track.

IMG_4219.JPG

• Like 3

A couple of items I would like to point out from an architectural perspective.  The water that is used in RFYLCB is likely fed from water lines, but once the reservoir is filled, the water is treated and recirculated (with additional water supplemented as needed to account for evaporation, water lost to wet riders, etc. being provided by the water supply line).  There could also be existing water supply lines in the area.  Remember, that the picnic grove and train shed likely have water service running to them.

I am quite positive that the water line indicator would likely be for a hose to spray down the station floor from a protein spill.  Additionally, they will likely have misters in the queue that will require water service.  The station may or may not need to have a fire sprinkler system.  It depends on how the architect of record classified the building, based on the occupant load and construction type of the building.  The Ohio Building Code governs these things.  

Also, I think some people are getting plumbing/water service confused with hydraulics/pneumatics.  The brakes on most coasters are operated by air pressure (pneumatics).  Hydraulics generally refer to liquids through pipes, specifically those related to hydraulic pistons (like those found on Shake, Rattle and Roll, for example).  Water lines are generally part of the plumbing drawings on buildings, but the lines running to the buildings (and any drainage lines), are shown on civil drawings.

That was probably way more information then anyone wanted to know.  I could go into more minute details about the construction process and the practice of architecture, but I don`t have all day, and it would likely bore people to tears.

• Like 21

Looking at the topographic maps for the region, Mystic Timbers brake run sits about 22-24 feet above ground level. The map I linked, Mystic Timbers' shed is at the 750 mark. From the leaked BP, the station is at 763. However GCI's brake runs are always flat with around a one foot vertical difference between brakes and station. However, taking that into account, 750+24-763-1 = 10 feet. There is a vertical difference between the shed and station of about 10 feet, which is interesting given the mystery of the shed. I have to admit MT has a lot of terrain to work with. 

IMG_4233.PNG

https://www.mytopo.com/maps/

Edited by IndyGuy4KI
Added source
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

On the QCD blog, there's a very telling picture. The section of track at the end is the brake run to enter the shed. Now, if you assume the bents are 6 feet long, it's 24 feet high. Now the station is set up to be 12 feet tall. That's a 12 foot difference and the gradient would be too much for the GCI drive wheels. I'm saying drop track.

IMG_4219.JPG

It's not going to be a drop track. 

1 hour ago, Airtimeluvr said:

Could that difference be to clear the train that will cross under the shed/station.

Very very likely. 

• Like 6

Its plenty tall enough, look at the carpenter on what we will.. for the purposes of this photo/demonstration...call the "2nd level".  Those studs are representative of a room that would have a standard 8 to 9 foot ceiling, and the carpenters on the "3rd level" are standing next to studs/columns that are representative of a 12+ foot ceiling.  Not to mention, that level is very likely going to be open ceiling like The Beast station, and Im going to venture to say that is going to be loading platform level.  The distance, and the man in the reflective coat are throwing the scale off in regards to visual perspective.

• Like 6

On 8/13/2016 at 8:20 AM, SonODiamondback said:

So it could be something like Expedition Everest ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I actually had a dream about riding it the other night and thats exactly what happened! I think it would be really cool if it did that!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Its plenty tall enough, look at the carpenter on what we will.. for the purposes of this photo/demonstration...call the "2nd level".  Those studs are representative of a room that would have a standard 8 to 9 foot ceiling, and the carpenters on the "3rd level" are standing next to studs/columns that are representative of a 12+ foot ceiling.  Not to mention, that level is very likely going to be open ceiling like The Beast station, and Im going to venture to say that is going to be loading platform level.  The distance, and the man in the reflective coat are throwing the scale off in regards to visual perspective.

The distance and the man in the reflective coat are exactly what's messing with my perspective. Lol

2 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

Yup,  if you look more closer we can see a few workers are actually in the station itself, so we can have a good comparison of how tall the ceiling is to the guy.  I think everything is going good! :)

I didn't even see them in the station....thanks for pointing them out!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

IMG_4219.JPG

As other pointed out, most of those thinking "drop track" are not accounting for the train pass directly underneath the area being speculated.  Do you really think they'd install a drop track directly over a train pass?  I am, and always have been on the "no drop track" team.  I do think it would be cool if the track is kept open underneath and as the train passes it lets out a big steam toot.  LOL!

• Like 12

I'm expecting the bottom to be open after mention of daytime/ nighttime shed experience to be a little different.
I don't think the main shed is until the smaller one where ther train will be slightly curved. That's where, if a drop track were on the table, could be. (Yes, on a slight turn).. but we know, unless we were deceived, that a drop track isnt right.

Id still suspect a drop track if we hadnt heard that nobody has guessed correctly yet.

I think many will be very surprised, and I kinda think people expecting a drop track will be disappointed because

• Like 4

Frankly, what's in the shed is not nearly as interesting to me as what's before the shed.  I will say just by visual judgement when viewing pictures, the fact that the track is hugging the ground so tightly after a decent sized lift makes me think its going to be a great ride. Once the "shed" secret is out, its out.  The success of the ride will be based on it's overall ride experience not the last 20 seconds.

What if what's in the shed is just a monitor that scrolls a list of build credits, like the end of a movie?  LOL!  Nah, that's more of a Paramount move...  Ha ha!

• Like 18

Remember what Greg said, "you'll have to come back and ride it multiple times." What I take from this is that there's going to be different scenes depending on what ride you're on. So if someone spoils #whatsintheshed, it might be different than what the next person sees. Since the actual "shed" is comprised of 4 different sections, there might be a variety of scenes that could be shown throughout the end of the ride.   

• Like 6

Itn regards to the Shed and the train, the train I believe around 14 feet of clearance. Remember, the train tracks are 2 feet below the surrounding terrain, so even with the 12 feet of the train tracks accounted for, that doesn't explain the drop off from 22 to 12 feet.

Second with the guessing of the shed, do you really expect the park to say whether we made a correct guess? Honestly, the park won't confirm or deny anything regarding the shed, besides the fact there will be a shed on Mystic Timbers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Remember what Greg said, "you'll have to come back and ride it multiple times." What I take from this is that there's going to be different scenes depending on what ride you're on. So if someone spoils #whatsintheshed, it might be different than what the next person sees. Since the actual "shed" is comprised of 4 different sections, there might be a variety of scenes that could be shown throughout the end of the ride.   

So like a Verbolten!?!?

18 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Looking at the topographic maps for the region, Mystic Timbers brake run sits about 22-24 feet above ground level. The map I linked, Mystic Timbers' shed is at the 750 mark. From the leaked BP, the station is at 763. However GCI's brake runs are always flat with around a one foot vertical difference between brakes and station. However, taking that into account, 750+24-763-1 = 10 feet. There is a vertical difference between the shed and station of about 10 feet, which is interesting given the mystery of the shed. I have to admit MT has a lot of terrain to work with. 

You answered your own question, but just didn't account for station height off the ground. 750 + 24(brake height)=774. 763 + 12(station height)= 775. The inaccuracy of the topo map and estimating off pictures surely accounts for the +/- 2 feet. 

• Like 1

I have ultimate faith in GCI but I'm afraid that if they do a drop track it might have maintenance issues than anticipated. Look how great RMC is doing and then they made the first ever launched wooden coaster and it's always down. Firsts of its kind don't always work out as hoped no matter how good the manufacturer is.

• Like 4