Mystic Timbers - What's In The Shed?

ki95

Probably green Intamin track. Ba dum Tss! But in all honestly im kinda confused wether if the shed is just a MCBR or actually the coaster station? I'm thinking it will be something along the lines of BLSC's MCBR, but more than likely without the animitronics. Basically more or less a light show and maybe some cgi animations on a screen.

• Like 4

Not a drop track - the track level doesn't change from the shed to the station. It will likely be a heavily themed experience while sitting in the brake run. I would love to see lots of animated saws, hatchets etc.

• Like 5

Heavy theming, aggressive looking foliage, an angry Mother Nature figure, saws. These are what I can see possibly being in the shed. I think this is going to need a very good and attentive theming element to it to add to the appeal. At the announcement I did feel as though after the POV some excitement was sucked out of the air. As Don cued for it to play a second time many people around me let out a disappointed "really?" In my personal opinion I'm partly excited for the addition of this new experience, but at the same time very underwhelmed by the POV, the name, and the fact that I waited in line for over two hours for the reveal to be told that the details that will set the coaster apart from others were not ready and would not be revealed until spring. But I think it's a good move to add the #WhatsInTheShed mystery to it. It definitely is more of a draw for the GP to ride it just to see what that's all about. I'm sure when I take my first ride on it I will love it. But it may take some time for me and others to totally warm up to it.

As for the second announcement which I take to be another attraction of some sort- I am going to guess that they will announce some type of winter fest or a few new haunts as it appears from the information that the action theater has been gutted and the box may be a part of Mystic Timbers- we will be losing Urgent Scare and Madame's. Though I also can see this being two fold an announcement for a dark ride in the action theater. I'm excited to find out the second mystery for project 17. But will settle for live streaming next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not so crazy on the name, but I'll suck it up because we're getting a fantastic looking coaster with some cool theming.  It's got great stats for a GCI, love how the layout looks, glad I have a coaster within decent driving distance that has those wonderful Millennium Flyer trains, it uses the terrain quite well, and when those trees grow back in, it'll be a thing of beauty.   It interesting with CF getting on board with these mystical themed/named rides (Banshee, Gatekeeper, Valravn, and now this).  I'm intrigued to see how far they go with it, especially outside of coasters.  

I'm also glad to see Kings Island shy away from the big shiny B&M's for a change and build something that will go to show that stats and height aren't always required on a good, enjoyable coaster.  I wonder what they'll do around White Water Canyon now as well. I'm guessing there will be some aesthetic differences in store beyond just the awesome GCI flying above it.  Who knows, maybe this might open up the park to expand more in that direction as well.  There's definitely a lot of potential now with Mystic Timbers in the equation.  

Also, kudos for the GCI designer for the Skyline reference. B)

• Like 6

Not a drop track - the track level doesn't change from the shed to the station. It will likely be a heavily themed experience while sitting in the brake run. I would love to see lots of animated saws, hatchets etc.

It could still be drop track. It would just drop you and raise you back up to the same level.

• Like 2

Tbh, I was pretty hyped for the announcement. Once it was announced I was like "oh...". Honestly, this is the first ride I'm not too thrilled about. Hopefully once I ride it that opinion may change. But as for now, I'm not as excited for it as I was for Banshee & Diamondback. 

That first building has to be the train storage.  No other area of the track suggests that other than right there.  I'm guessing what happens goes on when it curves into the station.  I'm doubting there will be a Verbolten style drop track there. 

• Like 2

My guess is once the train gets into the shed, they will have some kind of theming going on. Instead of going up the lift hill like Adventure Express, it will slowly go through a long piece of track before heading back into the station.

This is precisely what I am contemplating, and honestly counting on.  It will be some form of interactive, augmented reality with possibly even a laser image or hologram projector that shows a sawblade slicing the center of the train between the left and right side riders.  I know that last bit is more of a thing a Disney park would do and its not a high-odds proposal for a CF park, but it would be pretty sweet.  The chances of a launch of any sort in that distance are less than nil, and the structure very clearly shows there is no option for any form of drop/raise track with the open construction of the support beams for the shed.

Edit:  Furthermore, there was a statement made in the live interview about the experience being different every time.  The only people I know that make a drop with variances in drop cycle programming are the Mouse Brigade, and I dont see CF adopting that tech in any form.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this and I think the answer has literally been staring at us in the face the whole time. What's in the shed is in plain sight.

Please take a look at the 360 view of the shed, notice that aside from the station, the whole thing is held up by wooden stilts. A drop track can't go there, there's literally nothing for it to drop into. In the POV video you can see a sort of brick shaft under it, that's the station. This elevation view is probably more accurate, and there's nowhere for the track to move in it.

So, what could be in the shed then? Direct your attention to the ride's promo video. Notice that while it does show the general idea of the park being taken over by twisting vines, it's just that. The vines look to be growing rapidly and all, but at the end of the day, they're just vines. Something key is missing from the ride's branding.

You see trees and vines and branches take over the park, but it just looks like plants. Take a look at the logo and you'll see something unusual.

wcpo_mystic_timbers_kings_island_1469767

Notice how the logo of the ride, the key graphic supposed to convey the mood and idea of the ride, features a sentient tree with a face that came out of a Hollywood family (one was in Wizard of Oz, one was in Lord of the Rings, the one kid that never really fit in now makes a living off of an apple ale business :P ) that looks nothing like anything in the promo video. Throughout the entire branding and promotional process of this ride, this sentient tree (who I am now naming Oakley and will refer to as such :P ) has made literally zero appearance outside the logo. Oakley is literally the ride's mascot and we have yet to see him once, and to me, that's kind of weird.

My theory? The park is pulling a Wonder Mountain's Guardian inside the shed. Like, a line of projection screens running down the brakes. I feel like the ride will represent our run to escape these vines and at the end you'll end up face to face with our friend Oakley in a projected show scene to end the ride, possibly with a bit more to tie the story up, such as Oakley almost getting you and then a helicopter spraying pesticides killing him at the last second. Maybe if the park wanted to add some immersion they could add back pokers to the seats like in 4D theaters to make it feel like the vines are creeping up on you.

Kind of a messy post but I think my theory about Oakley in the shed is a good one.

• Like 10

This looks like a great attraction and an awesome addition to RiverTown. I am very curious about what's in the shed, I just hope it's not a disappointment like with the ending of Adventure Express. Maybe what's in the shed is a creature, now since the ride is in RiverTown, possibly we might actually see what The Beast looks like or it's possibly going to be all dark and something is going to pop out at the end. Hey I'm just brainstorming!

• Like 2