New For 2017: Mystic Timbers!

Ok so I watched the announcement again last night(first time watching it since we went to the announcement) and after listening to the whole thing again and watching the pov I'm thinking that once this coaster hits 53 mph it may stay at 53 until right before the shed. Is this possible?

Sent from Me using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hmmm wonder what Mr. House meant when he was talking about when he made the comment about other coaster gaining speed and slow back down but Mystic Timbers would go start to finish just "crazy"? Maybe because its just non-stop action???

Yes. Just that it has a fast pace the entire ride.. see rides like Raven at Holiday World versus Pheonix at Knobels having parts between the exciting parts where it turns around.
  • Like 1

Speaking of themed lift hills. Was wondering if the rattle you hear as the DB goes down the first drop by design or if it's something else cause it to sound like a rattle snake to me. A VERY LARGE RATTLE SNAKE. Or it could be just that it turns slightly to the left that makes it rattle either way I like to think of it as a Rattle snake noise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Speaking of themed lift hills. Was wondering if the rattle you hear as the DB goes down the first drop by design or if it's something else cause it to sound like a rattle snake to me. A VERY LARGE RATTLE SNAKE. Or it could be just that it turns slightly to the left that makes it rattle either way I like to think of it as a Rattle snake noise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

it's a B&M trait, Gatekeeper at CP also rattles and clanks a lot when the train passes through the course.
  • Like 3

I can't speak for Thunderbird, as it's been at least a year since I rode it. But you can see the drive wheels on Gatekeeper move when you hear that loud clank as it pulls in the station.

Yeah I know I tried listening for clicks when the train comes in and didnt notice it.. but watching povs of thunderbird shows that I have terrible ears..

There are definitely clicks, just like for Gatekeeper.

I am a man who will admit when I'm wrong.

I'm wrong

This idea is a little crazy so bear with me. In the simulation of Mystic Timbers the turn from the Shed into the station just seems to sharp for a train to traverse. So, I think that the layout in the simulation is not the entire ride. I have a friend who worked at GCI last summer and told me they were working on a switchback. This would be very close to when GCI was making plans for MT. I believe that there will be a backwards launch into a different section of track that is not shown in the simulation. This is still plausible because they still won't say what's in the shed, which could include a different section of track. It is also worth noting that when the train pulls into the Shed in the pov the ride time is 1:44 with 27 seconds of lift. That is not long at all, which could allow for more track else where.

• Like 1

One minute of actual ride time is about the standard in the industry.

Also, the GCI employee at the announcement claimed to not know what is in the shed, and he worked on the design. I'm assuming he would have known about a switchback section.

Also, that turn is definitely not too small for a ride vehicle.

• Like 4

^ He probably knows but isn't allowed to tell anyone. ;)

Just speculating there, but I think he's telling the truth, and that some other company is involved in putting together whatever we're going to experience inside that shed. Mr. House was probably just told, "Design it to have a straight and reasonably flat track in this spot, with block brakes right before it." Whatever is in that shed, I don't think GCI is responsible for it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just as a side note, I think the train ride itself is something a lot of people are over-looking. Look at MT's placement and how the train surrounds a huge chunk of the ride. Even on the night when Kings Island announced Mystic Timbers to the public, the Engine #19 was parked right next to the crowd the whole time instead of being put away for the night. The railroad is mentioned on the MT back story after all. I don't know, I just feel like we're discovering more and more little details that weren't given to us back in July.

• Like 3

Regardless of whether it has something to do with what is in the shed, I agree that interaction with the train is going to be a big part of this ride.

Losantiville station offers a beautiful view of the first hill after the drop, and as you leave the station there is an excellent view of that insane first curving drop. A short while after that, there is the potential of Mr. T trains rushing right towards the train, as they turn around and come down the hill next to the KI&MVRR engine shed, at the very end of the out and back portion. On the way back to Rivertown, the train will go under the track twice: between the Shed and station, and again where Mr. T leaves the station.

When we were at CoasterStock this year, at one point one of the trains approached the station with what I believe was described as a "Lew Brown entrance," billowing steam*. I hope this is something that can occasionally still be done, and that the interactions with Mystic Timbers don't make it impossible. One of the required train whistles seems to coincide with around where it will interact with the MT track and station so that may be quite loud and exciting from that side.

* edit: yes, I found my tweet with a video of it:

https://twitter.com/maglizrd/status/734363383785521152

• Like 5

Regardless of whether it has something to do with what is in the shed, I agree that interaction with the train is going to be a big part of this ride.

Losantiville station offers a beautiful view of the first hill after the drop, and as you leave the station there is an excellent view of that insane first curving drop. A short while after that, there is the potential of Mr. T trains rushing right towards the train, as they turn around and come down the hill next to the KI&MVRR engine shed, at the very end of the out and back portion. On the way back to Rivertown, the train will go under the track twice: between the Shed and station, and again where Mr. T leaves the station.

When we were at CoasterStock this year, at one point one of the trains approached the station with what I believe was described as a "Lew Brown entrance," billowing steam*. I hope this is something that can occasionally still be done, and that the interactions with Mystic Timbers don't make it impossible. One of the required train whistles seems to coincide with around where it will interact with the MT track and station so that may be quite loud and exciting from that side.

* edit: yes, I found my tweet with a video of it:

https://twitter.com/maglizrd/status/734363383785521152

The "Lew Brown" style entrance you're referring to is when the engineers open up the cylinder cox to expell as much steam as possible from the locomotive for visual effects. You'll notice that Kings Island purposely hosed down the station platform so that when the steam hits the water you get a good looking picture. They do this for events like Coaster Stock

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...