Watch "Mystic Timbers at Kings Island POV" on YouTube

scottwoods42

Well I must say...this looks boring. Some boring looking rides turn out to be great though so I I'll reserve judgement until I ride it. I'm not really the target market but I'm happy for families that will enjoy with smaller or more timid riders.

I think that is the key point some of the more hardcore coaster enthusiasts are missing.  This is a ride right next to Planet Snoopy that will work great for the mid aged children.  Our 8 year old loves riding beast and racers and is very excited for this new ride.  In the end, what makes KI great is that it is all in all one of the best family parks that exists.  There are things for the hardcore coaster riders, but my family of 4 can go to the park and spend the entire day having fun riding only 1 or 2 major coasters for the day (different ones each time).

• Like 6

I'm sure the trees add to the sense of speed too. I was one that was slightly disappointed with the Banshee announcement too and it is now either my favorite or second favorite in the park. This seems tamer but I am a sucker for theming so the box and theming around the que could certainly win me over big time.

• Like 4

I'm sure the trees add to the sense of speed too. I was one that was slightly disappointed with the Banshee announcement too and it is now either my favorite or second favorite in the park. This seems tamer but I am a sucker for theming so the box and theming around the que could certainly win me over big time.

I used to be happy for theming but seeing as it goes down hill fast and never fix. I wait to judge the coaster till I ride. Just hoping the theme last longer than it did on Aventure Express.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who's disappointed that rather than CF's usual awesome animation, they used NoLimits 2 without even trying to change the sounds, used Google Maps for the terrain with 3D models awkwardly above 2D images of the same ride, and couldn't set a "strict" roll point on the final brakes (so they tilt right and make an awkward kink as they enter the crest) or make the lift crest tighter (I highly doubt it's that wide.) Even in the POV rendering, you can see a brick wall under the "shed" implying they put a station platform there, likely before the turn into the station. (Perhaps an unintenional spoiler to a separate load/unload platform for 3-train operation? IDK.)

I love Mystic Timbers, I'm sure it'll be great. Gold Striker was awesome, so I'm hoping for something of that caliber or even better. However, the animation is just a big step down from what I've expected from CF.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who's disappointed that rather than CF's usual awesome animation, they used NoLimits 2 without even trying to change the sounds, used Google Maps for the terrain with 3D models awkwardly above 2D images of the same ride, and couldn't set a "strict" roll point on the final brakes (so they tilt right and make an awkward kink as they enter the crest) or make the lift crest tighter (I highly doubt it's that wide.) Even in the POV rendering, you can see a brick wall under the "shed" implying they put a station platform there, likely before the turn into the station. (Perhaps an unintenional spoiler to a separate load/unload platform for 3-train operation? IDK.)

I love Mystic Timbers, I'm sure it'll be great. Gold Striker was awesome, so I'm hoping for something of that caliber or even better. However, the animation is just a big step down from what I've expected from CF.

Great Coasters International uses NoLimits for nearly all of their ride animations, and has done so for quite some time. For many reasons, it's simpler to use, more accurate in some cases, and a cheaper alternative.

See also InvadR at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

^ And no, CPMaverick, as far as GCI animations go, I believe that they usually provide the buyer with that given animation (along with the help of NoLimits) unless they want to do it in-house / with another developer, which was the choice in some other CF GCI installations. See Gold Striker at California's Great America.

• Like 2

The thing that makes me laugh about that is that we've CLEARLY seen how good a coaster in No Limits 2 can look, and yet every time I see actual pros use it to show off their concept, they never seem to put a ton of effort into the final rendering so the results look cheap and rushed. Anyone remember the Skyrush announcement, and especially the Storm Chaser announcement?

NL2 is really good, if not excellent for what it is. You just have to spend a lot of time on a project to make it look realistic.

• Like 3

There may be something to companies leaving it a little sketchy and unfinished-looking. GCI is in the business of building coasters, not animations or acceleration theaters. They are going to want their final product to be the "wow!", and would not ever want to risk someone saying "the animation made me think this was going to be better," after riding.

It is enough to get the idea across and whet the appetites of the customer and the public. Plus it is cheaper and easier than something more elaborate, so why risk overpromising by putting in more work?

• Like 2

It should also be mentioned that:

1. GCI actually has built rides with banked brake runs. I know White Lightning has one. I want to say that American Thunder does, too? I bet it's intentional.

2. GCI has their field of view set weird in that video, and it really distorts the view. I doubt the actual lift radius is that large, both in NoLimits and in their design plans.

• Like 1

Guys, I'm trying to be optimistic about this ride.  I really am.  But everything I've seen to this point just leaves me feeling quite disappointed.  I guess you just have to have the tame coasters too, for the smaller kids.  Ugh.

Kids are people too and pay admission. Although they frequently have more in common with wild animals, or Beasts in the woods.

I think a lot of people will be surprised with the amount of airtime this will pack, the hills may not be large but will probably pack a nice punch. As for why Banshee's animation looked better is because B&M pays for a specific program to be used which makes them look a little better. 

GCI intentionally banks their final brake runs. I've ridden GCI before, and noted such practice on several POV videos of their coasters.

I agree, the FOV makes the ride seem more stretched out than it will actually be.

I agree this won't be the most intimidating coaster, but I have faith it will be a wicked good time :)

• Like 1

I used to be happy for theming but seeing as it goes down hill fast and never fix. I wait to judge the coaster till I ride. Just hoping the theme last longer than it did on Aventure Express.

That's my one worry for the shed. Will be nice if it is heavily themed and has lots of effects to put the ride over the top but will sour the end of the ride and leave you on a bad note if it is not kept up. Granted most of the heavily themed rides we've had like AE and TR:TR were built and went downhill before CP time but as we've seen with AE and especially BBoBH they haven't exactly made many moves to replace or fix effects either.

• Like 1