Mean Streak Gets the Axe September 16th

I'd like to see either an RMC conversion, or something interesting done with that part of the park, like a dark ride. Mean Streak's area always just felt like a dead end to me. Whatever it is, I'm excited to see what happens!

What flats does CP not have at this point? I feel like they have everything but a Top Spin but I could be forgetting something.

• Like 1

I would put money on GCI giving it the GhostRider treatment, except with possibly more layout changes than what was done for GR. I say that because this announcement seems very much in line with the Mantis closure announcement, and that says to me that they're planning on re-branding the ride. And it they re-brand it, I'd imagine there will be a significant change to the ride involved.

Cedar Fair seems to be making a pretty pointed commitment to GCI, so I don't look for this to be an RMC.

• Like 6

GCI rework with full retrack and significant reprofiling and new Millennium Flyer Trains.

Can they just put the new trains on The Beast while they're paying GCI all this dough?!?

Where's Terp been lately? I'm wondering if I'll be shocked this month.

• Like 6

The Point was already lacking in wooden coasters.

Time to bring over the one they (maybe) own that's rotting 1.5 hours east?

:)

Do you think there's anything left of it?

I'd bet that would be alot of work.

Like you said, IF they still own it.

• Like 2

Folks, it's getting transformed. So please enough of "this will fit there, or that will". They are not going to mark the footings on the ride and other places if they are tearing the whole things down. Be realistic. I'm thinking they will probably get a RMC treatment. If not, I think CF will start losing platinum pass sales due to enthusiasts moving over to Six Flags or smaller parks; that are willing to think outside the box or be edgy.

Sent from my iOS 10 device

• Like 1

Hmm, GCI or RMC? Crystal Beach Cyclone to Comet? Mean Streak takes up a lot of space. Waterpark expansion?

MS is on the other side of the parking lot so to keep SC contiguous that would involve some major reconfiguration including the road. Unless it was huge water coaster with the lift hill staring in Challenge Park.

I do agree SC is in desperate need of at least two more towers. 1/2 hour wait for a coaster is one thing, it's just torture waiting that long for a tube slide.

Folks, it's getting transformed. So please enough of "this will fit there, or that will". They are not going to mark the footings on the ride and other places if they are tearing the whole things down. Be realistic. I'm thinking they will probably get a RMC treatment. If not, I think CF will start losing platinum pass sales due to enthusiasts moving over to Six Flags or smaller parks; that are willing to think outside the box or be edgy.

I thought the 1% enthusiasts didn't matter? Still skeptical of CF working with RMC but that would be awesome.

• Like 2

Hmm, GCI or RMC? Crystal Beach Cyclone to Comet? Mean Streak takes up a lot of space. Waterpark expansion?

MS is on the other side of the parking lot so to keep SC contiguous that would involve some major reconfiguration including the road. Unless it was huge water coaster with the lift hill staring in Challenge Park.

I do agree SC is in desperate need of at least two more towers. 1/2 hour wait for a coaster is one thing, it's just torture waiting that long for a tube slide.

I thought the 1% enthusiasts didn't matter? Still skeptical of CF working with RMC but that would be awesome.
You must not have caught the Crystal Beach Cyclone reference, Cyclone was converted to the Comet that stands today at Great Escape in New York, later relocated. http://rcdb.com/1522.htm

I believe the station, lift hill and brakerun were reused if not more. Marking the footings could mean removal or reuse.

However my Soak City guess is not directed tied to MS, maybe as a second capital Annoucement?

• Like 2

The fact that its closing in September and not the end of the year make me think either an overhaul is in order or something really big will go in its place.  

Keep in mind that winters in Sandusky are harsher than they are down here. Even with Cedar Point opening later than Kings Island, the weather doesn't give them as much time to work.

• Like 5

It looks like Im going to be making two trips up there in the near future... Thursday/Friday Sep 1st and 2nd, and one final trip the 16th for a last ride and the Ceremony.  Its not a bad ride, its a rough ride, and that is because of their ludicrous MCBR that slows it down to such an asinine pace that it shuffles horribly in the last half, which makes it seem "bad" to some who expect all coasters to ride like B&Ms.  I have zero doubt its getting renovated/converted, and i have almost zero doubt it will be done by RMC.  They can do this, and still say "Mean Streak is closing forever", because in Marketing/PR speak/spin it is.  I honestly was expecting a late August closure, but I see why they are doing it this way, in order to tie it into Halloweekends.

• Like 3

The fact that its closing in September and not the end of the year make me think either an overhaul is in order or something really big will go in its place.  

Keep in mind that winters in Sandusky are harsher than they are down here. Even with Cedar Point opening later than Kings Island, the weather doesn't give them as much time to work.

The only problem is wind. The lake effect snow isn't a problem until you go west towards Cleveland and PA and even a little NY.

• Like 3