Mean Streak Gets the Axe September 16th

Sad news, but not screaming in a rage sad like DCA's Tower of Terror. Mean Streak is (was) on my amusement park ride bucket list (yes, I actually have one).

I have never been on Mean Streak, so I can't say how rough I think it is. But one thing I can't stand is when people complain about wooden coaster roughness. I have several friends who won't even go on The Racer or The Beast because they say it's so rough. News flash: a wooden coaster is supposed to be rough. It's what makes it fun IMHO.

I do hope they replace it with something really good.

• Like 2

It sort of baffled me when they said it was closing for good. I was sure they were going to retrack and reprofile it with Great Coasters International, but it looks like it may be a Rocky Mountain treatment or full blown leveling. It will be interesting to see if Rocky Mountain is getting involved, since it was a rumor for a while and may lead to angry enthusiasts if it gets torn down.

• Like 1

In all my years going to amusement parks, I've maintained that I would never be the person to suggest someone skips a ride. I just can't stand it when someone says, "I've never been to Kings Island! What should I do on my first visit?" and people say, "Skip Backlot Stunt Coaster, don't bother with The Bat, skip Vortex," etc. You just never know what someone will enjoy, what will make them happy, and what could change their perception of parks forever. So in all the years that friends, family, and acquaintances have come to me and asked what they should do at a new park, I've never told them to intentionally skip something. Seems like the wrong perspective anyway, to begin with.

I think Mean Streak would be the exception.

Last time I rode (2012) I said "Never again." And now when I visit with first-timers, I tell them, "Ride it if you want. I wouldn't." And I don't. In my opinion, it's MUCH more violent than Son of Beast was. More than aggressive. It's an assault. Absolutely unenjoyable to me, and I'm not quick to label a coaster rough. I am not at all sad to see it go. All I can say is that it feels like a towering, giant, wooden coaster does fit perfectly up there on the edge of the peninsula looming over Frontiertown. I'd like to see that in the future. A steel coaster just wouldn't feel the same in terms of creating a mountainous backdrop to the park. 

• Like 11

At least Vortex is rough in the way that steel coasters are rough: odd transitions, some "snaps" in the physical track, inversions designed before computer simulations could predict forces, shuffling trains...

Mean Streak is downright dangerous. Talk about jackhammering. Risk level 11 for sure.

• Like 8

I've had enjoyable rides on Mean Streak - in seasons up to and including this one. I've also had boring rides and a few rough enough to make me wish for a MCBR evac.

Then there was that one back row ride that ejected the MicroSD card from inside my phone (which was in an OtterBox case & secured in a cargo pocket). It also left me with a massive headache for the next hour.

• Like 5

Something seemed up with Mean Streak this year. For some reason it did not open with the rest of the park. I just happen to be their on the day it opened and saw that markings all over as you got in the line. A lot of people took time to rip me for posting it.

So if next time someone reports something in a legal area and has pictures be nice about it. They could be right.

• Like 5

I was there for the opening day for Mean Streak.  After my first ride, the line was 3 and 1/2 hours long.  Believe it or not, this was the coaster that made me a wooden coaster fan.  Also, this was my 4th wooden coaster I ever rode.  I really liked the ride back then.  Having said that, I rode this coaster for the last time in 2003.  With all the trims and jack hammering, I thought that the coaster really aged badly.  There was only one coaster I thought gave me a worse ride.  That was Raging Wolf Bobs.  This does prove that some coasters age really, really badly.  

• Like 4

Doesn't say that Mean Streak being totally domolished, simply states getting the ax. The video has the tone of a teaser similar to the Mantis closing announcement.  This tells me that it is a re-do, not a demolish. 

• Like 5

Well, can't say this is super shocking- Mean Streak has had a rough rep for years now, and plain old re-tracking can only do so much. But with news of Mean Streak's imminent demise, all 3 of the record breaking Dinn Corporation wooden giants (which also included Hercules @ Dorney Park and Texas Giant @ Six Flags Over Texas) will now be either gone, or changed into entirely new coasters. Even the 2 RCCA's that broke records around the same time period (Rattler @ Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Son of Beast @ Kings Island) have met similar fates. Meanwhile, smaller rides like Holiday World's Raven built during the same time period continue to win awards and get rave reviews. I see that as proof that in many cases, size doesn't really matter, and being bigger can actually be a handicap.

RIP Mean Streak...with your end, the wooden giants of the 1990's will be gone. But it will be a period of coaster history future generations will look at, if only to see what not to do when building wooden coasters.

As for what will replace Mean Streak? Based on the fact they did a whole teaser video, and the fact it's footers have been marked, I would think either a RMC conversion or a VERY intensive re-profiling and possibly partial re-build from GCI with a name change included.

Note: I have not actually had the chance to ride Mean Streak...yet...so I don't have an opinion on the coaster for myself. Though there is a chance that could change before it closes...

• Like 4

Sad news, but not screaming in a rage sad like DCA's Tower of Terror. Mean Streak is (was) on my amusement park ride bucket list (yes, I actually have one).

I have never been on Mean Streak, so I can't say how rough I think it is. But one thing I can't stand is when people complain about wooden coaster roughness. I have several friends who won't even go on The Racer or The Beast because they say it's so rough. News flash: a wooden coaster is supposed to be rough. It's what makes it fun IMHO.

I do hope they replace it with something really good.

Wooden coasters are supposed to feel lose, rickety, and out of control. That's the charm of a good wooden coaster. They're not supposed to be glass smooth, because then, nothing would distinguish it from a steel coaster.

Wooden coasters are not supposed to jackhammer so violently that they send your brain flying around your skull, and hit you in the back so hard that you feel like you're about to regurgitate your lungs. I don't hate Mean Streak because it's not glossy smooth. I hate it because it gives a false impression of what a wooden coaster is supposed to be. It's boring, it meanders around the course, and the jackhammering would make the actual tool jealous.

Good riddance, Mean Streak. Whatever addition takes your place will be worth it, just to get rid of you.

• Like 2

I can remember Mean Streak's first year.  The long line, no breeze, no shade, and the absolutely horrific brake screeching coming from all over the coaster.

Much like SoB, it looked REALLY REALLY good, but the experience did not measure up.  CP has tried countless fixes and some worked for awhile, but time did the fixes in and it was still a bit rough for many.  

I could not find any pics of the work done at the bottom of the lift hill, but wow, if anyone has the opportunity to take a look, you will be surprised on how much the track has been modified to keep MS from tearing itself apart.

With the exception of SoB, I hate to see any ride removed.  Hopefully, CP has great plans for that area.

• Like 6

I am so tired of the wooden coasters are supposed to be rough argument. It wasn't true 50 years ago and it's not true now.

And no part of the configuration of the Crystal Beach Cyclone survived as Comet. The steel itself was reused, the configuration was not.

I had the sad experience of riding that thing two years ago. Six Flags has not given it the loving care Charlie Wood did. I fear for its future as a wooden coaster. See also Wild One. And Boss.

The future remains to be revealed. Now is a present. Experience it. While you can.

• Like 14

I guess at least Mean Streak lasted longer than its siblings. Much longer than the oldest.

I'm really thinking this has to be an RMC. I doubt CP would make a huge deal out of a complete demolition of one of their coasters. Even a GCI would likely require a near-complete demolition as they tend to keep their coasters short in height.

• Like 2

I rode Mean Streak 4 times today and was lucky enough to get a trim free ride on my last one. I thought it was better than The Beast!!! It had crazy laterals and some good airtime. I was very impressed but sad that it couldn't always be that good. Unfortunately the MCBR hit hard and was as slow as usual after. The ride had potential. Now I wouldn't actually be mad if GCI took it over.

• Like 4

That trim on the first drop really changes it into a completely different ride. Many of us that enjoy the ride still vividly remember before they slowed it to a crawl, and when it had that huge fan turn after the first drop. People often forget that was also neutered when they added trims.

• Like 4

Taking my family to the Point this weekend. I haven't been in ~30 years, and they've never been. We will ride MS for the same reason a mountain climber climbs...because it's there. Knowing it's in its last season of operation just adds to that reason.

• Like 3

That trim on the first drop really changes it into a completely different ride. Many of us that enjoy the ride still vividly remember before they slowed it to a crawl, and when it had that huge fan turn after the first drop. People often forget that was also neutered when they added trims.

The one good thing about my seemingly botched trip to the point on a very windy day. Mean Streak was one of the very few coasters actually running at all that day..

I was able to ride it without the trims (to work against the extra wind probably) .. though probably not as strong as no trims on a standard day, it was definitely a much more fun ride, I noticed the extra lateral on the first fan turn. :)

The turn didnt feel over banked for a change. Probably one of the most dissapointing things to happen on old woodies, is when they are trimmed and then on the turns you fall inside the turn rather than being pushed straight to your seat, or better, to the outside of the turn.

• Like 6