Mean Streak Gets the Axe September 16th

^ touché, but only partly.

I could also get all pedantic and physicsy and say white is not a color becuase it does not contain a specific wavelength. But I won't do that. :)

White is all the colors, as it reflects all visible light wavelengths. Black reflects very few in most cases, but there's now black materials that reflect nearly zero light. This is additive color.

In subtractive color however, it's reversed. White is the absence of color, while black is every color combined. Try mixing

• Like 5

I am not aware of any time period during their history where there has been back to back coaster installations. No saying it can't happen, but it's highly unlikely.

You mean like Face/Off and then Son of Beast?

Different park but, if it happened one place, it can happen elsewhere

also

1989 Magnum

1990 Disaster Transport (conversion)

1991 Mean Streak

Compare to

2015 Rougarou (conversion)

2016 Valravn

2017* RMC MS (conversion)

So, it's not completely unheard of...

• Like 4

Maybe Cedar Fair gets a discount with these back to back additions. You look at Cedar Fair's history with B&M you would see that there was a coaster addition or conversion within the chain just about every year since 2004. ( with the exception of 2007 & 2011 )

Silver Bullet - 2004

Hydra the Revenge - 2005

Patriot - 2006

( no addition or conversion ) - 2007

Behemoth - 2008

Dominator ( ride relocation ) - 2008

Diamondback - 2009

Intimidator - 2010

( no addition or conversion ) - 2011

Leviathan - 2012

Gatekeeper - 2013

Banshee - 2014

Rougarou ( conversion ) - 2015

Fury 325 - 2015

Valravn - 2016

Patriot ( conversion ) - 2017

One could only imagine what Cedar Fair's B&M customer awards card balance may look like.

• Like 3

Every time I see an article, Tweet, or whatever that has a date of September 16th. I immediately think of that day, as the day that Mean Streak closed. So earlier today when I was looking up CCI coasters I found Villain that used to be at Geauga Lake. Noticed that the park closed on September 16th. Immediately thought about how strange it was that Mean Streak closed on the same date. I know this is kind of a random thing to post about, but thought I should share.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

We are not getting to far with when MS will open. At this point, time will be our only incication and I personally think weather and possible engineering suprises will determine its opening.

One thing I have not seen posted is what everyones thoughts are on if this will be a chain lift or launch like Lightning Rod. My guess is chain lift, obviously this is a total guess.

• Like 2

Some interesting purple-ish lighting over on Mean Streak's second wave turn tonight. Maybe a test for future installation? Or leftover Haunt effects?

Could anyone else snag a screenshot and post it?

I grabbed a screenshot last night when I read your post but didn't have time to mess with posting it. The lights turned off around midnight.

image.png

• Like 6

It appears that Cam 3 is showing a bit more MS now, but not the lift hill and everything to the left of Dragster is blurry.

Chris, is there a correlation between the steepness of a lift hill and its height?

I've not heard anything official, but have heard rumors it could top 200'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That will certainly make for an interesting ride.  To date I have only experienced Outlaw Run in terms of Rocky Mountain Construction rides.  Lightning Rod was down when I was at Dollywood.  Based on everything I have heard about Storm Chaser at Kentucky Kingdom, if this ride is anywhere close to that, Cedar Point will have a sure fire hit on their hands.

Obviously the steeper the lift, the quicker it can rise in height.

• Like 3

It appears that Cam 3 is showing a bit more MS now, but not the lift hill and everything to the left of Dragster is blurry.

Chris, is there a correlation between the steepness of a lift hill and its height?

I've not heard anything official, but have heard rumors it could top 200'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it turns out to be true, that would be Cedar Point's sixth coaster over 200 feet! WOW!!!

EDIT: Also, some cool names would be Mean Streak: Unleashed or Mean Streak: Reborn!

• Like 3

When they make the lift taller using the exisiting structure, they need to increase the angle of the lift because they have to go get to that higher point in the same space it took the original lift to make it to the lower height.  If they used the existing lift angle to reach that higher lift, they'd have to extend it which would put the drop right into the fan turn and the rest of the layout would require more significant overhaul than that because you'd push all the elements further back.  

• Like 3

When they make the lift taller using the exisiting structure, they need to increase the angle of the lift because they have to go get to that higher point in the same space it took the original lift to make it to the lower height.  If they used the existing lift angle to reach that higher lift, they'd have to extend it which would put the drop right into the fan turn and the rest of the layout would require more significant overhaul than that because you'd push all the elements further back.  

RMC can do it in the same space and make it higher due to the fact that the drop is considerably steeper than original. however i would say for ever "x" amount of feet higher the lift hill bents will need extra "legs" on the side for more stability. If you recall SOB, it had many tapering legs to the outside of it to support a 200'+ height and it was a curved lift hill. a straight one needs it on both sides generally.

• Like 1

^I wasn't saying they couldn't do it, I was just answering King Ding Dong's dispute on how the added height would increase lift angle.  If you draw a right triangle representing the existing structure and then add height to it without increasing the horizontal distance, much like RMC is doing by using Mean Streak's existing lift structure to add height using the same area, the angle of the diagonal line goes up.  I'm aware they will be adding to the structure for added stability, they've done it on every single Iron Horse conversion.

• Like 4

I would expect more camera action, once the project has been announced. Not likely for 2017 considering RMC has stated no new projects will open for 2017. I would also add that it seems to me that an announcement would have been made to push season pass sales as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...