Making plans to visit this weekend...

runner84

A few friends and I are planning a trip to KI this weekend. It will be my first time at KI and am nervous. I don't have a lot of experience with rollercoasters. I've ridden a few at Disney World and the only one I've ridden at Cedar Point is Iron Dragon. I have a fear of rollercoasters.

Any newbie tips? Any rollercoasters that would be good to start with to get my feet wet? Many actually look like fun (Beast, The Bat, and even Banshee). Some look really intimidating like Firehawk, Inverigo, and Flight of Fear.

I've been looking at videos on YouTube for ride videos, but want rider input too. Any tips on how to acclimate myself?

Thanks!

I'd start right from the bottom; try Flying ACE Aerial Chase. Then move up to more intense rides such as: Bat, Racer, Adventure Express, and Backlot Stunt Coaster. Once you're through those, move onto Invertigo, Flight of Fear, and Firehawk. If you're serious about riding bigger rides like FoF and Firehawk, then I'd recommend hitting those as soon as you get there as the lines can get pretty heavy. If you don't mind waiting, you can let yourself build up the courage to get to those two rides. Once you've conquered all of those, you can try the biggest rides such as: Vortex, Banshee, Diamondback, and The Beast. Hope this helps!

• Like 3

Vortex can be headbanging rough for *some* people so I would stay away from that one until you are more comfortable.

What is it about them that you fear? If it is the shaking, maybe stick will the newer steel coasters for now. Heights? Stay away from Diamond Back. Fear falling out? Ones with over the head restraints help you feel more secure. In that case maybe Banshee would be a good choice, but it is big.

Take some Advil with you or get some from first aid if you need it. I call it Vitamin-I. Also stay hydrated.

Resist peer pressure and sit out a ride if you are not ready. Better to do one or two this trip and more later.

• Like 2

Get some night rides on Adventure Express, the log flume and The Beast if can. If I lived in Mason I would be there every night for those three. Soon to be four with the Mystic...

The Beast at night is life changing. Greatest coaster there ever was at night. The park practically empties at night cause everyone is in line for it.

Everyone with sense.

• Like 1

Not really too afraid of heights (thinking about a night ride on WindSeeker... would be cool). Might be the idea of going upside down, but I've read that loops aren't that bad it just gives you a sense of weightlessness. Lying down while going up kinda freaks me out, which is why Firehawk is intimidating or being in the dark with FOF.

I'm sure a lot of it is just because it's unknown. I feel better knowing most will only last 1 minute and a half to two minutes.

Really looking forward to Beast, Racer, and Backlit Stunt Coaster. I do know that Invertigo will freak me out because of the reversal loop.

I recommend riding Diamondback 2-3 times in a row, followed by Banshee 1-2 times.  You do that, there's nothing else in the park to be afraid of.  Except maybe Drop Tower...lol.  And yes, I'm being serious.  Show up early and ride the big one's early if you can handle it...multiple times.  Nothing to fear thereafter.

Everyone else pretty much hit the nail on the head. Definitely build up the confidence, but don't leave the park regretting not riding certain rides. Go for it! I will say, The Beast is a "little" longer than 1.5-2 minutes...but it is a fantastic ride all the way!!