National Roller Coaster Day 2016

Magenta Lizard

I don't think I've seen this mentioned here, but Kings Island is offering an event on August 16, in honor of NRCD .

It includes Banshee and DB/Beast behind the scenes tours, and exclusive "night" rides on Beast starting at 8:15 (I know it won't actually be dark quite that early, but should be by the end).

It's free but you need to register by August 12, and be a member of one of their accepted coaster clubs.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/things-to-do/events-and-promotions/National-Roller-Coaster-Day-7-30-14-32

• Like 5

Never mind, school starts Wednesday the 17th. :(

All the more reason to do it. Summer's last hurrah! :D

Seriously, the first day of school is generally not big on studying and schoolwork. Or at least it wasn't when I was in school. It's usually mostly administrative stuff like paperwork, going over rules, issuing textbooks, and so forth. So I would say that it's no big deal if the kids are short on sleep the night before. :)

IMHO, any teacher that does expect kids to focus well enough to do heavy work on the first day is a monster.

• Like 1

What a mess! I went to check in at Guest Services. Was told to check in at The Beast for the tour. Went to The Beast, was told I had to go to HR to check in. Well, 20 minutes is pushing it, even if I found HR. So I asked for a supervisor, who called Guest Services and was told to tell me to check in at The Beast at 3. Good grief?

EDIT:  No lanyard was required and the check in was to show your credentials.  Stress relieved.  ;)

What a mess! I went to check in at Guest Services. Was told to check in at The Beast for the tour. Went to The Beast, was told I had to go to HR to check in. Well, 20 minutes is pushing it, even if I found HR. So I asked for a supervisor, who called Guest Services and was told to tell me to check in at The Beast at 3. Good grief?

EDIT:  No lanyard was required and the check in was to show your credentials.  Stress relieved.  ;)

An email was sent to everyone who registered for the event with information on where to meet for the behind-the-scenes opportunities. Park admission and a valid ID card was all that was required for this event.

• Like 4

An email was sent to everyone who registered for the event with information on where to meet for the behind-the-scenes opportunities. Park admission and a valid ID card was all that was required for this event.

Thanks, Don.  The post wasn't mean as a slam to KI staff--just a little venting for some uneeded stress.  (Being at The Beast at 2;40 and being told I'd have to go to HR to check in for a lanyard which would have caused me to miss The Beast tour got me a little stressed!)

Thanks for another quality event.  The tour and the last rides of the night were wonderful.

• Like 2

I had a wonderful day at this event. I'm happy Beast was up by the end of the night and very satisfied with the ERT we received. It was almost magical on the final ride, there was a rainbow in the sky as we crested the first lift hill, and the beautiful sunset as we crested the second. A very special, memorable ride.

Obviously, I couldn't get pics of that, but here's a shot afterward of the sunset behind DB as I left.

e25732f7c40cf14772f76016a77cd258.jpg

Thanks DonKIPR and the team for putting on such a nice event for us!

• Like 12