Kings Island in an alternate universe

SonofBaconator

There are many alternate histories that are fun to think about. What would Kings Island look like had Busch Gardens opened in Columbus, OH instead of Williamsburg? Had Anheuser-Busch purchased Geauga Lake in 2001, where would the Vekoma Flying Dutchman now at KI have gone? Where would it be now? Would there be a park in Aurora? What if Cedar Fair had acquired Kings Island in 2000? Would we have Phantom Theater? Would we have a dark ride at all? What would the headlining attraction in Action Zone be now?

• Like 1

You've been watching way too much Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

One can never watch to much Star Trek. Or Stargate. Just downloaded both seasons of Space:1999. :)

Or the tv series Sliders. Good concept but bad acting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was at the park today and I thought to myself, what would an alternate universe KI be like? Would Diamondback be a dive coaster instead of a hyper? Would Son of Beast still exist? Would ice cream be green instead of blue?? The possibilities are endless

It would probably look a lot like Firelight Park.

• Like 2

In an alternate reality, Boomerang Bay would have been revamped and a new water coaster would have been installed instead of a new wave pool. A new 165 foot tall green Intamin launch Blitz coaster would have been installed where Bansehee now resides called Young Stud's Revenge. The Flying Eagles and the Antique Cars never left and Kings Island would still have Winterfest.

• Like 1

I did feel like I was in an alternate universe when I was at KD.  So many things the same, yet different.

Id absolutely LOVE to transpose the parks, so Im only 2.5 hours from KD.  Keep The Beast in its current location, and transpose the rest, from the top down.  My very honest opinion... albeit likely an unpopular one around these parts.... is that using the alternate Universe theory KD is Superman and KI is Bizarro.  I guess to me, the VA park has a better "feel", in terms of atmosphere, ride lineup (minus the aforementioned Beast), and guest demographic.

EDIT:  Also keep the continuity of KI's park layout.... KD feels like the land of dead ends sometimes when walking around, lol.  It just doesnt have the same efficient flow when going from one end of the park to the other.

• Like 2

I love the idea of alternate time lines. I think they are better when you look at only one small change. My small change...

Carl Linder is unable to do a hostile takeover of Taft Broadcasting. Since his doesn't happen, Taft doesn't spin its properties off. Taft remains a viable media company. KI remains flagship property and didn't lose its Golf Course, Hotel, or campgrounds either.

KI probably doesn't get SOB or Banshee or Diamondback. KI remains at its heart a theme park with thrills.

• Like 4

I would like to see what would have happened if Paramount had been as interested in building and maintaining immersive theming as Universal has become.

The early Paramount years, with the intellectual property that went along with felt so important somehow. Like it was bringing big Hollywood to our little Midwest.

Later I moved to Burbank and learned that "Hollywood" as it is sold to us in general is a lie (most of the studios aren't there but in the surrounding nicer and safer suburbs, it's pretty much a seedy tourist trap, the sign isn't lit at night).

I still would love if someone with access to significant intellectual property and creative teams brought Orlando or "Hollywood" level theming here. I don't know if it would ever be possible financially with our shortened seasons. Maybe if they built more indoor attractions to go year-round.

• Like 1

I was not an enthusiast, nor did I visit much during the Paramount years.  (I lived out west).  The handful of times I went to PKI when I was home on vacation, I did not like the amount of commercialization that Paramount brought to PKI.  It seemed if everything was branded.  I moved back in '07, went, and it felt like the "old" Kings Island again.

• Like 1

I have feared that Kings Island has probably came closer to ceasing to exist at certain points in its history than anyone on here would want to know.

But at this point I consider it to be relatively safe.

It's in a good sized market without much competition (except when it comes to a winter fest).

Also it's infrastructure is undeniable at this point, except for the lack of bathrooms in X-Base.

In an alternate reality, Boomerang Bay would have been revamped and a new water coaster would have been installed instead of a new wave pool. A new 165 foot tall green Intamin launch Blitz coaster would have been installed where Bansehee now resides called Young Stud's Revenge. The Flying Eagles and the Antique Cars never left and Kings Island would still have Winterfest.

Speaking of the Flying Eagles, i found this pic recently. My sister and cousin, circa 1982. What a ride. 00f47b4e40345c5f118f6e88cb0cb2d9.jpg

• Like 3