August 18th Announcement for Cedar Fair Parks.

And I believe that the only parks to not have announced yet are Michigan`s Adventure, Canada`s Wonderland and Kings Dominion.  So far no new B&M coaster is coming to a Cedar Fair park in 2017.  When was the last time Cedar Fair did not install a new B&M ride?  

Kings Island's WinterFest will feature the Eiffel Tower as the world’s largest Christmas tree display. https://www.visitkingsisland.com/what-s-new/winterfest

Carowinds's WinterFest will feature one of the Carolinas' largest "holiday trees". Whatever those are. :)https://www.carowinds.com/experience-2017/winterfest

When was the last time Cedar Fair did not install a new B&M ride?  

• Like 4

Worlds of Fun is also getting a new front gate.

The Gate Entusiasts sure are having a great day. I never even knew there was such a thing until recently. This industry has something for everyone!

If you have been to Cedar Point, you would know how massive that tower is, and by that measure could tell that the slides can be hundreds of yards away and still look very close.

Lol. I agree on tthe power of perspective. But in this instance I am not convinced it is possible to duplicate that photoshopped image without manipulation. I could be wrong but I don't think the track will look that big, but maybe that is my old eyes fooling me. I tell you what, next summer while we are there celebrating the new CPS if you can duplicate that image I will buy you a couple of drinks at the new swim up bar.

• Like 2

Worlds of Fun is also getting a new front gate.

The Gate Entusiasts sure are having a great day. I never even knew there was such a thing until recently. This industry has something for everyone!

If you have been to Cedar Point, you would know how massive that tower is, and by that measure could tell that the slides can be hundreds of yards away and still look very close.

Lol. I agree on tthe power of perspective. But in this instance I am not convinced it is possible to duplicate that photoshopped image without manipulation. I could be wrong but I don't think the track will look that big, but maybe that is my old eyes fooling me. I tell you what, next summer while we are there celebrating the new CPS if you can duplicate that image I will buy you a couple of drinks at the new swim up bar.
I absolutely love the original Carowinds maingate, and I hate the new one. The Waterpark gate has more character. The maingate to me says "Welcome to the County Fair" if that, my County Fairground has more character. I am a architecture lover but cheap Art Deco is blah to me.
  • Like 2

I am beyond pleased with this year's series of announcements. Flat ride-heavy announcements are the sort of thing that get discussed a lot on enthusiast forums but don't happen as often as we tend to expect. The Europe flat ride roadtrip thing apparently really paid off. That's definitely one of my favorite moves any park or park chain has made. And Winterfest is happening! Yay!

I hadn't really expected Cedar Point to do anything with its waterpark, but I really, really like that the CF waterparks are starting to be rebranded with individual names. Carolina Harbor, Cedar Point Shores... I'd be okay with that trend continuing. I don't expect that it will happen everywhere since Kings Dominion and Kings Island fairly recently went to the Soak City name, but I could see it happening to Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, Dorney, Canada's Wonderland, and California's Great America. I do have to wonder what Kings Island would theoretically name theirs, though... Ohio River Bayou? Dunno. It's a fun thing to think about. I'm also very surprised (not disappointed, just surprised) that CP's announcement had nothing to do with Mean Streak. Surely it's not ACTUALLY leaving?

Dorney's, Carowinds's, and Worlds of Fun's flat rides, like I said before, are great. People (especially on Facebook) can get miffed when new rides aren't coasters, but I think it's easy to forget how fun flat rides are when people are all whipped up in speculation frenzy. Carowinds is really developing into an exceptionally great park. Also, I really hope that something good comes of the CF officials' trip to Asia. I wouldn't be upset if some new flats showed up at KI. :)

I'm excited to see CGA starting the first phase of its big transformation. I like Rougarou, so I hope Patriot works out well for them. I always imagined their Vortex as either one of the better stand-ups or one of the headbangiest.

Valleyfair's announcement is unusual, but not unexpected. Looks like CF has had enough of WindSeekers. Unfortunately, a not-fun windy experience on SFOT's Sky Flyer is going to keep me off of North Star if I make it to Valleyfair, but I hope it's a hit for them.

The Winterfests are really exciting. I can't help but feel like this is happening because Holiday Lights works as well as it does at Kennywood... It gets very crowded as the season goes on there. It seems like they did it first, and then SIX decided to try it, and now it's making the rounds at FUN. Hopefully they will do their best to have the definitive holiday events of their parks' local areas. I'm a little surprised WoF got the last Winterfest and not KD--hopefully it works well enough at all parks that KD gets their own someday. Although, I can't help but wonder if the popularity of BGW's Christmas Town might be causing them to rethink how they do Winterfest at KD. Seems like they'd want to go pretty big to be able to compete.

I do have to say, though: I'm surprised that no new dark rides were announced. I hope the Amusement Dark thing hasn't gone away, because I was really looking forward to more of those dark rides. (I also really liked Wonder Mountain's Guardian, so maybe I'm just weird, haha.) I suppose it's not impossible that Kings Dominion or Michigan's Adventure will see something like that next year...?

• Like 7

Flats are great except for those if us who can't do spinny things.

I force myself to ride them.iccasionally just to make the kids happy and to give them the memories of getting squished on the Scrambler just as I was by my father.

I'll stick to coasters for the majority!

• Like 4

There was...but FunPix is more than digital downloads......it's connected to passes, connected to apps and a website where you can see/edit your photos and even share. Not a 1 time deal. With FunPix you have until the season is over to claim all of them....unlimited, no additional cost unless you want them printed at the park.

• Like 2

There was...but FunPix is more than digital downloads......it's connected to passes, connected to apps and a website where you can see/edit your photos and even share. Not a 1 time deal. With FunPix you have until the season is over to claim all of them....unlimited, no additional cost unless you want them printed at the park.

it also discounts the prints to 5 dollars

EDIT: also you still can get one individual photo for digital download nad access it on the FunPix website still. But if you ride more than 3 rides with pictures or want your front get eine too then it is better r to just buy the Daily or Season FunPix

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some food for thought- It seems that these new entrances accompany larger additions at parks and areas that are expected to have increased traffic flow. Carowinds got their new gate and toll booth with the addition of Fury 325, Kings Island added a larger toll booth this season (the season before Mystic Timbers), and Cedar Point added a new Marina Entrance with the addition of Valravn.

Could we see the rumored Premier launched coaster come to Worlds of Fun in 2018? I'm not saying this year's flats aren't substantial additions, but I can't imagine they'll push people through the gate like the addition of a coaster would.