August 16: My Happy-Place Escape

VortexBFForever

Yes, I will write reports for my previous two trips (July 5 and August 11). I've decided to write about this trip first while it's still fresh in my mind. :)

I'll get started by providing the background to this trip and why I am giving my trip report this name. You are not required to read the back story. If you don't want to read the back story, simply scroll until you see the first photo. :)

This week so far has been a huge struggle for me mentally and emotionally. Sunday was great; it was on Monday that everything started with the biggest, hardest ordeal: my dog. I mentioned in another thread (the Random Discussion Thread, I believe) back in May that my dog had lymphoma. Prior to Monday morning he was doing fairly well, but on Monday morning he had deteriorated to the point where his breathing was so labored that it sounded like really loud snoring. It was so hard just to have to put up with hearing it constantly. He was so uncomfortable! :( Mom called the vet, and just before 10:00 a.m., I hugged, kissed, and said goodbye to my eleven-year-old furry canine friend one last time before Mom took him to the vet. He was going to be put to sleep, but he died naturally in my mom's arms as she was carrying him in, so he just had to be cremated.

Life at the Xenia YMCA was (and is) also getting out of whack. My Monday morning Yoga class was cancelled just then, because the instructor had not gotten back from her vacation yet, so that gave me an extra hour to watch Olympic Track and Field and Volleyball live while walking on the treadmill. :P Monday evening Zumba was also abnormal, as the main instructor for that class was not there either. I did hear she was extra busy this week (and she was taking a few nights off) so it was understandable. Tonight (Wednesday) 's Zumba is going to be the same as Monday night. Yippee!

The aforementioned Zumba instructor is also my mentor, one of only a few people I feel comfortable expressing my struggles to. I thought I would have time to talk to her yesterday (Tuesday) morning since I had a few things I had/have been struggling with for two weeks now. However, that conversation I longed for never happened, and that threw me for a loop (no pun intended) since I was really hoping for it to happen. (I did get to talk with her when I was at the Y this morning, though, so that's good.) She's a really busy person, and I understand that. However, being a person who has trouble adjusting to abrupt changes or things not working out, I couldn't help but still feel crestfallen through the rest of the afternoon.

The upside of Tuesday morning was that my Group Cycling class went as normal, with the exception of the class ending 15 minutes early since I was the only student who showed up. :)

Usually on Tuesday evenings, I return to the Y for a TRX (Total Resistance eXercise) class, but since I was still so downhearted by the many unplanned, not-working-out occurrences so far this week, I felt that if I went, I wouldn't get very much out of it due to being so unmotivated, and it would be too much for me to bear emotionally (especially since there would be a substitute instructor at that class too!). I needed a break - something to distract me and temporarily spare me from the reality I was currently facing.

At 5:00, I asked my dad if it was too late to go to Kings Island, and he said no and that he would be willing to go. At 5:30 we left home and at roughly 6:20, we arrived at the park. I was literally "escaping to my happy place" - and if you know me well, my happy place is Kings Island. :D

After all, it was National Roller Coaster Day, and I wanted to end this day on a much more positive note.

Whew. Just thought I'd get this out of the way to provide some context. Sorry if I've already bored you. But good news: it is now trip time! Yay!!

28415591964_08d30ffe27_z.jpg

28750012950_fd61abb170_z.jpg

28750008200_c73bb13e85_z.jpg

28960383021_b768133528_z.jpg

These pictures speak for themselves. Thanks to the rain and it being not much more than an hour before closing, Kings Island was the most dead I had ever seen it in my 10 seasons as a loyal patron! There was only one lane open at the Front Gate, and we saw a mass exodus on the way into the parking lot. Literally every ride had a number of empty seats; not once did I see a fully loaded ride vehicle.

It's days like these that I am thankful Kings Island is still just as ready to serve even the most slim guest turnout. After all, their calendar does say 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and they shall stick to that. I'm sure it was a #KIBestDay for the other brave souls who stuck around until closing. It sure was for me!

28960378701_a7fb81df7a_z.jpg

28960376061_e969236f2a_z.jpg

28960373771_b236ebaf7f_z.jpg

It was so surreal not having to thread through a sea of guests in Action Zone as I have always found myself doing on more "normal" trips. I made my way toward Invertigo to take advantage of its nonexistent line. I had never seen it cycling with so many empty seats, especially for a low capacity ride!

28415559494_aa0515de08_z.jpg

28960370731_cce56fa386_z.jpg

28415552984_3157213861_z.jpg

I rode Invertigo twice, once on each end. I walked onto the forward-first end just in time for the next cycle, and waited an additional cycle for the backward-first end. That first drop sent a much-needed adrenaline rush through me as the half-filled train soared down through the station and up through the cobra roll and loop (and of course the same way in reverse). What a nice way to start this getaway!

28931033062_5f8c3199cb_z.jpg

28931031172_ff9efc1a64_z.jpg

28960295681_dda6bceeb3_z.jpg

I knew it wouldn't take long to snag a front seat ride on Banshee, so I went for it. And surely enough, the front was only a one train wait! I rode on the Aqua Green/Teal Train. That 67mph breeze, coupled with the frequent sprinkling of rain, made for a nice ride down that purple twisted track.

28415541364_a6c271bf3d_z.jpg

29003078066_e5f9760293_z.jpg

28931022782_1ddc90889e_z.jpg

For the first time ever, I saw Zephyr with only ONE PERSON ON IT!! I guess it;s no surprise since that ride always has a short line. I grinned, remembering my own "zen ride" experiences as I headed toward X-Base to see if Firehawk was open, hearing "Welcome back, Zephyr rider; how was your ride?" on the way.

I saw a Firehawk train cycling, but there were two trash cans and two attendants blocking the entrance. Flight of Fear was reportedly a 15 minute wait according to the app. It was almost 7:30 and I didn't want to take any chances, so I backtracked to the main midway, where I saw stashua123 on the way if I remember correctly.

I was eager to ride WindSeeker and Vortex, knowing that a chance for netting a solo ride on either (or both) was pretty good. On the way, I saw one of Vortex's trains on the transfer track, though at the time I thought it was sitting on the block brakes on the main circuit, waiting to go into the station. When another train arrived on the first block brake run and kept going, get this: I legitimately thought it was going to run into the other train. I'm not kidding. I literally braced myself. :P Of course, the arriving train passed right by the other train since they were on different tracks, and I had my "duh" moment. After all, if that train really was on the main circuit, then the blocks would have by all means prohibited the arriving train from proceeding.

Mind blips...good grief...

I decided to head to WindSeeker first. I waited until the ongoing cycle finished before boarding Seat 64. It was a six-rider cycle, as one other rider rode next to me and four others rode on the other side. The sprinkling of rain had resumed as "2001: Space Odyssey" began playing and the six of us lifted off on my first rainy WindSeeker ride since Labor Day, September 3, 2012!

28749968140_179ffcc6a1_z.jpg

28418716383_0dcb1b240b_z.jpg

28931012312_4cff0319f0_z.jpg

28418707263_e504e0dcb8_z.jpg

After that refreshing flight, I decided now was the time to get my Vortex rides in, so I made the short journey to the station where I walked right onto 6-1 on Train #2 for my 313th ride, enjoyed with four other riders.

I know I bring it up every time, but this night was the perfect time for a marathon. Problem is, they still aren't allowed anymore. :( I bring this up every time because with every marathon-applicable time I have experienced ever since the reride policy changed, I miss my Vortex marathons more and more and more. Since I have to walk around every single time, it will take me much, much longer than I've wanted/planned to get to 400 rides. At least one gets more exercise. But either way...

I MISS the old reride policy SO MUCH!! :(

Just had to get that out. And yes, I still respect Kings Island just as much as I have before, even if it means a slower journey to my next big ride milestone. And when I DO reach 400, it will be that much more special.

As Train #2 arrived on the block brakes, I saw stashua123 and ohiocolts walking by on the midway. I started waving, and ohiocolts noticed. I then held up my fingers, showing "3 - 1 - 3" in an attempt to communicate that this was my 313th ride.

28960340911_7a44f1b2ae_z.jpg

28418700393_4081ccc895_z.jpg

I walked back around again and walked onto 2-1 on Train #1 for ride #314. Another "criss-cross" happened while going down the drop into the corkscrews. I said hello to the nearly empty Train #2, ascending the lift hill just mere feet away. Usually during a criss-cross I'm on the train on the lift hill, but on this one I was on the train going down into the corkscrews! It was so cool!! I also said hello to Train #3 on the transfer track as Train #1 cruised by and into the station.

It was a nice (bumpy, I know) ride as always. especially since I enjoy riding in rainy weather. I was reminded of my 18-ride marathon on Vortex on October 14, 2012. Hopefully one day, such a feat will be permitted again... :rolleyes:

29003050416_00ff89bf88_z.jpg

I headed back over to WindSeeker to see if I could get a solo ride, as the lone rider on the ongoing cycle did. I walked through the queue as the cycle started, where I was assigned to Seat 63 this time. By the time the cycle finished and I took my seat, no one else had joined me in line. I had gotten my wish and now had WindSeeker to myself for the first time since Labor Day, September 2, 2013! I did my best to take everything in as "Ride of the Valkyries" began to play and WindSeeker carried me, the lone rider, up 301 feet into the clouds (well, not exactly IN the clouds, but closer :D).

And let me tell you, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the world that can match the first-hand experience of flying high above the park and the surrounding Mason area with an unparalleled view, and having all that matched with an appropriate soundtrack - all while being the only occupant of a graceful, giant machine with the ability to fly 63 other people as well as one!

To an aspiring future engineer, especially...this is an amazing reminder of how valuable the disciplines of engineering really are and the appreciation of the mechanical, electrical, structural, etc. engineers and technicians that put their minds and their backs into what became marvels like the 'Seeker that was taking me on my own personal flight in this very memorable three minutes of an already great evening at my home amusement park.

While we are still on the topic of "zen rides", I had a bird's eye view of a few Vortex trains carrying only one rider, which obviously reminded me of when I was that one rider, particularly on September 26, 2010; May 16, 2014; and May 29, 2015.

As WindSeeker gently lowered me to the ground, I saw one of the associates at Vortex moving the trash can to block the entrance. Apparently, it was already 8:00 right as I heard "Welcome back, WindSeeker, how was your flight?" and I was getting off (and no one had queued during my cycle), which made me the clear-cut last rider of the day on WindSeeker's last cycle of the day. It was just a hair too late to take Vortex Ride #315 (like I originally planned) but ending the day on WindSeeker, especially by yourself, is just as awesome! :D

29003047406_2af8a95495_z.jpg

29003043026_150ea08361_z.jpg

28749940400_a846322ec2_z.jpg

28749934710_893a96da00_z.jpg

28960312641_bdf767c17f_z.jpg

28960305761_2ce5c7ae92_z.jpg

This was on purpose. I thought the rain drops would have a cool effect.

28930969602_d9a6320a56_z.jpg

This #KIBestDay did not end at the park, as a wonderful double rainbow flew through the sky during the ride home:

28930966962_92fa32089d_z.jpg

(at least, a partial double rainbow. The second rainbow was too faint to be captured in the picture. And of course, pictures will never do justice to seeing a rainbow firsthand)

It was definitely a great night to escape. No lines for what would normally be a good wait, and the occasional sprinkle - all capped off by a solo 'Seeker flight. Thanks for reading!

And Happy National Roller Coaster Day!

+Invertigo: 2

YTD: 3

Total: 16

+Banshee: 1

YTD: 4

Total: 18

+WindSeeker: 2

YTD: 8

Total: 79

+Vortex: 2

YTD: 14

Total: 314

Notes:

-I can't say it enough. The park. Was. DEAD!!!! A very surreal experience for my most impromptu visit!

-Most "zen ride" instances I have ever witnessed in one night. It was the first time I saw only one person riding Zephyr.

-The frequent on-and-off showers felt good, not to mention it kicked my first WindSeeker ride of the evening up a notch.

-Vortex never stacked! Gee, I wonder why... :P Also the most "criss-crosses" I have seen in one night!

-I would've LOOOOOOOVVVEEEEDDDD to be at the park and seen the double rainbow. Imagine seeing it from atop WindSeeker; That'd be quite the experience!

-Like I said before, perfect night for a marathon on your favorite ride, should those ever be allowed again...I hope...and dream at this point....

-Everyone was nice! Every single person checking my restraints on every ride I rode said "Enjoy your ride!" with a smile.

-Again, it was nice seeing you, ohiocolts and stashua123 and the other person with you, even if it was for a brief moment!

-My kind of visit!! I always love days like this. I mean, who doesn't? I'm so thankful I can have a Platinum Pass and go to a park just 50 minutes away.

-Definitely the emotional break I needed.

-All three coasters I rode were looping coasters! I did some math and I found that I went upside down a total of 31 times.

And, certainly the most true note of all...

Not every unplanned change is bad! ;) I was not even thinking of going to Kings Island until 5:00 when I asked my dad, hence why this is my most impromptu visit to date. Definitely a breath of fresh air for me in these last few days!

• Like 9