Dollar Day$ is back Labor Day Weekend

Melody

DOLLAR DAYS

« Go Back

09/02/16, 09/03/16, 09/04/16, 09/05/16 

It has become a Labor Day tradition: Dollar Days at Kings Island. Guests visiting the park September 2-5 can enjoy hot dogs, pizza slices, blue ice cream, cotton candy, soft drinks and select Sweet Spot   for only $1 each. Kings Island Dollar Days. What a way to end the summer!

dollar%20days%20640%20x%20425-01.jpg

Plus, Friday, September 2 - Monday, September 5 Gold and Platinum passholders can bring up to four (4) friends for only $19.99 each. Present your season pass at the front gate admissions window to take advantage of this Gold and Platinum pass benefit.

Friends that purchase the $19.99 ticket are welcome to join their Gold and Platinum pass-holding friend for early rides at 9:30 a.m. on Banshee, Delirium Woodstock Gliders, The Great Pumpkin Coaster and Snoopy's Space Buggies in Planet Snoopy.

• Like 3

Yep, not going to be at Kings Island that weekend either, I prefer to be able to eat food without waiting in a 30+ minute long line. Wouldn't be so bad if they had any other food stands open, but the only food stands they keep open during this is the ones that are doing the dollar days.

• Like 1

After attending the event a few different times, my wife and I have decided that it's really not worth all the hassle and will be skipping this year.  Last year's dollar days was really and eye opener for me.  I really started questioning just what the heck we were doing when we walked into LaRosa's to get some pizza and watched the employees just tossing slices of pizza into a big pile and then watching guests rummaging through a big heaping pile of pizza slices like a bunch of pigs.  Turned my stomach a little.  Gluttony is also on full display.  Watching people carrying around 20 slices of pizza stacked on a tray just because they're $1 a slice is ridiculous.  It really hit me at the end of the day when I was waiting in line for 45 minutes just to get an ice cream cone that's 1/4 the size of a regular one.  There were people everywhere, pushing and shoving to get through, it was hot and I was dripping sweat.  I began to wonder just how much this ice cream was worth to me.  It definitely wasn't worth all that.  Driving all the way out to KI (a half hour drive for us), fighting heat, fighting crowds and long waits just isn't worth saving a few bucks.  If I want pizza Labor Day weekend, I'll drive 10 minutes down the roads to our local LaRosa's, sit down in a nice cool restaurant, and enjoy my pizza there.  No crowds, no heat, no lines, no digging through piles of slices.  It started out kind of fun the first year.  I think the novelty of $1 items was the biggest draw.  Now that the novelty has worn off, you start to see it for what it really is.  I'll be looking forward to skipping this year!

• Like 4

I don't really care about the food lines.  The gluttony Voicetek describes seems pretty gross though.  I just want to go to for the rides...is it busier that a usual weekend day on this weekend?

Any holiday weekend is generally busier.  The dollar days boosts that crowd a lot.

Labor Day weekend looks to be a "triple threat" weekend.  Not only is it a holiday weekend and Dollar Days, but it will also be a "Bring a Friend" weekend as well.  According to an e-mail I received from KI, you can bring up to four friends that weekend for $19.99 a piece.  Looks like everyone will be bringing their hungry friends to load up on pizza and ice cream.  Heck, if everyone is in line for food, perhaps the rides for the lines won't be too bad lol.  Still not going to check it out though.  I'll just read the trip reports from that weekend here ;)

• Like 2

I'm going to have my fingers crossed for rain. Lol. I know that sounds bad but I need some of those chocolate dipped Oreos but if the weather is perfect and crowds are high, we will probably skip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick google search shows opinions say it is either crazy crowded, or not too bad.  A lot of "you'd be surprised but Labor Day weekend isn't that bad".  Not sure what to believe.  I'm guessing early Friday and Monday would be best, but what do I know. 

I do know I'm sure as hell not waiting for $1.00 pizza...that sounds dumb.  On a somewhat related note, I remember leaving a Reds game a few years back during a $1.00 hot dog promotion, and people were leaving with handfuls of hot dogs.  Why?!?! 

I usually go Sun. and Mon. Labor Day weekend.  I never found to be crazy crowded.  I hang at Soak City early and head over to the main park for $1 food around noon.  No line for hot dogs under tower and short line LaRosa's by The Beast.  I only noticed long lines at International Street LaRosa's and for ice cream.  I can't comment about later in the day, I leave around 3.

If there is one thing that is better than coaster shirts on discount in Coney Mall, it's $1.00 blue ice cream. The reason being, is so that when I buy my girlfriend her blue ice cream, it doesn't cost as much, and plus I could indulge myself in a few more. Not to mention some of the small side games that will be a dollar, could win me some bragging rights among friends this weekend as well. Should be an exciting, long lined weekend at Kings Island!

The family and I are going Saturday. Probably not the best day, but it is what worked with our schedules. We haven't been since 2012, and I'm really excited!

Better yet, I get time to MYSELF to ride coasters (three kids under age 9. The oldest is not tall enough yet to ride everything)! So, if you see an approaching middle-aged mom by herself having a blast, that's me! :)

The must-dos on my list:

All the coasters. ALL. THE. COASTERS.

Rivertown Fries

LaRosa's Pizza (I have been to the restaurants, but the pizza just doesn't taste the same as in the park... Maybe it's the mass-production flavor I'm missing. ha!)

Snoopy... errrr... blue ice cream

Fudge push-ups (say what? Must try those. It is dangerous if I even go near the Sweet Spot, though. :)

What else is new since 2012 that I might be missing?

• Like 2

I haven't seen the fudge push ups available as much this year as when they started them. If you do see them, chances are they will be at Coney Confections (next to the restrooms at the entrance to Coney Mall, near Racer). Help keep you away from Sweet Spot at least (and the $1 treats at Sweet Spot may make it a madhouse anyway).

Have a great time!

• Like 1