Official: WinterFest 2017

RailRider

Actually Winter 2016 started in January 2016.  Winter 2017 starts in January 2017. They are advertising something for Winter to boost sales, and not specifying that it's not this coming Winter. People will buy passes to go to Winterfest this coming Winter and not find out till after that it's not till next Winter. KI is not going to refund those people's money, and they will be mad. People working customer service will get cussed and yelled at over it. All it takes is them specifying that it's not until the end of the 2017 season, but that aren't doing that. It's being disingenuous to drive sales. 

When has winter ever started in January?  The announcement was a capital expenditure for the 2017 season.  Did the 2017 season start in April 2016 when they opened for the year?  If you don't like it, don't buy a season pass for next year.  

• Like 2

^ I don't mean to sound crass or mean, but you stating Winter starts in January does not make it so.

Please do some research and cite a source for Winter starting in January. Otherwise, I'll stick with NOAA, various almanacs, what I was taught in grade school and other sources who have a reputation for knowing such things.

• Like 2

Actually Winter 2016 started in January 2016.  Winter 2017 starts in January 2017. They are advertising something for Winter to boost sales, and not specifying that it's not this coming Winter. People will buy passes to go to Winterfest this coming Winter and not find out till after that it's not till next Winter. KI is not going to refund those people's money, and they will be mad. People working customer service will get cussed and yelled at over it. All it takes is them specifying that it's not until the end of the 2017 season, but that aren't doing that. It's being disingenuous to drive sales. 

When has winter ever started in January?  The announcement was a capital expenditure for the 2017 season.  Did the 2017 season start in April 2016 when they opened for the year?  If you don't like it, don't buy a season pass for next year.  

So you are saying January 1st it won't be Winter, and it won't be 2017? Somehow January 1st it will still be 2016? No, it'll be Winter 2017.

"if you don't like it, don't go" blah blah blah. The rallying cry of people who've never owned a business or understood anything about it. It's usually followed by "That'll mean shorter lines for me"  I guarantee Don, Greg, nor any of the other upper management of KI would say that to a customer. 

fryoj, I really don't want to argue this point on an amusement park forum but I guess when the seasons begin and end is a matter of faith from an individual's perspective. As far as science is concerned and the scientists who the United States Government employ who determine these things Winter begins this December 21st, not in January.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-summer%E2%80%94what%E2%80%99s-difference

^ I don't mean to sound crass or mean, but you stating Winter starts in January does not make it so.

Please do some research and cite a source for Winter starting in January. Otherwise, I'll stick with NOAA, various almanacs, what I was taught in grade school and other sources who have a reputation for knowing such things.

Winter 2017 is different than just Winter. I did not say Winter started in January. I said Winter 2017 starts in January. Putting them together makes them different. It's like saying the 2016 season starts in April. 2016 starts in January, but the 2016 season starts in April. Kings Island is saying Winter 2017, not just Winter. 

Winter 2017 is different than just Winter. I did not say Winter started in January. I said Winter 2017 starts in January. Putting them together makes them different. It's like saying the 2016 season starts in April. 2016 starts in January, but the 2016 season starts in April. Kings Island is saying Winter 2017, not just Winter. 

I see your point now, but most businesses and their managers (the ones you incorrectly imply nobody here knows anything about), when saying "Winter 2017" tend mean "the winter that starts in 2017".

Could it have been worded more clearly? Sure. I do think if they meant this coming winter, they would have said "this coming Winter". Also, if people are going to drop $100-200 on a pass (or anything, for that matter) and not fully know and understand what they're buying by not calling and asking questions, I'm not able to muster a ton of sympathy.

To clarify, I did not say nobody here knows anything about business. I said people who say the "if you don't like it don't go" line don't. Business owners hate to hear customers saying that to other customers. 

But there are a lot of people who think it's this year. Read their Facebook post comments. Even reading the PR, it doesn't clarify and I would think it was this year if I didn't know better. There is a link to buy passes right on the announcement page on their website which is where most people will buy there passes. I just feel that they should have done a better job with this. It should have been clearly stated, or put off till there was no doubt about when it was. 

Really? We are arguing over when Winter starts and what season this is for?  You people have gone to a new low. Stop the bickering. The PR dept at KI is quite capable of doing their job and know how to market their product. It's common sense this is for the Kings Island "2017 operating season", stop splitting hairs. 

• Like 8

Really? We are arguing over when Winter starts and what season this is for?  You people have gone to a new low. Stop the bickering. The PR dept at KI is quite capable of doing their job and know how to market their product. It's common sense this is for the Kings Island "2017 operating season", stop splitting hairs. 

I think it comes off that way, but it was more about the wording not being precise enough to remove all doubt and confusion and some of the statements themselves falling prey to the same lack of clarity. 

edit: Your claiming it's common sense, while I don't disagree with you, hinges on the assumption that the general population of this planet possesses common sense. Any trip outside of one's own home should be proof enough that that is not the case.

As an aside, is it really productive to chime in telling people they've "gone to a new low"? Why not just move on from the thread if you feel that way? Name calling doesn't help anybody.

• Like 1

Actually Winter 2016 started in January 2016. Winter 2017 starts in January 2017. They are advertising something for Winter to boost sales, and not specifying that it's not this coming Winter. People will buy passes to go to Winterfest this coming Winter and not find out till after that it's not till next Winter. KI is not going to refund those people's money, and they will be mad. People working customer service will get cussed and yelled at over it. All it takes is them specifying that it's not until the end of the 2017 season, but that aren't doing that. It's being disingenuous to drive sales.

I think you're over-thinking this...

I'm somewhat happy about this.

I've been a season pass holder since 1982-ish as a kid, and I remember WF from back then. It was cool as long as weather cooperated.

The problem was it seemed like it was often too cold for families (little ones) or too warm for the ice skating.

But when the weather was just right (maybe one weekend per year, based on faulty memory haha) it was real fun.

I'd rather have a few more flat rides, but I hope this is a success and makes the park a lot of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Actually Winter 2016 started in January 2016. Winter 2017 starts in January 2017. They are advertising something for Winter to boost sales, and not specifying that it's not this coming Winter. People will buy passes to go to Winterfest this coming Winter and not find out till after that it's not till next Winter. KI is not going to refund those people's money, and they will be mad. People working customer service will get cussed and yelled at over it. All it takes is them specifying that it's not until the end of the 2017 season, but that aren't doing that. It's being disingenuous to drive sales.

Yeah. The passes being sold now are for 2017, which would, I assume, cover 2017's Winterfest....

Yeah. The passes being sold now are for 2017, which would, I assume, cover 2017's Winterfest....

I don't know how this could be stated any more clear?

"Coming Winter 2017"

ki_winterfest_rotatorv3.jpg

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/

• Like 3

I heard the announcement on the radio earlier today and I'm super excited for Winterfest to return. I was too young for Winterfest in its first incarnation and didn't attend the 2005 version. It'll be exciting to see the park all decked out in Christmas gear just like it was during Christmas in July (which I loved!). And somehow, I'm also interested to ice skate at the park as I haven't skated in years! :D

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget SANTA!!!! (meant to be screamed in the voice of Buddy the Elf lol)

Thanks for the post, it was good to see the announcement. I'm glad they used Snoopy as Santa Claus, but it reminded me of how much the Peanuts are intertwined with Christmas.

I'd only gone to Winterfest once, and that was corral cousins, so my memories are vague as to what it actually looks like. The charactor walks are going to be cute, since they put different outfits on the Peanuts for Halloween, I suspect they will also be dressed for winter.

I'd think it would be better than being crowded in the backseat of a car to go look at the ridiculous expenditure of some middle class neighborhood done up with more lights and decoration than sense.

I'd like to see it unencumbered.

• Like 2

Only a dream and impractical but wouldn't it be fun if Diamondback were running and the scoops sprayed out snow?

Technically if it was able to operate in freezing conditions and the water could be heated enough I think it would create "snow" similar to adding hot water to a super soaker in freezing conditions.

• Like 3

Only a dream and impractical but wouldn't it be fun if Diamondback were running and the scoops sprayed out snow?

Technically if it was able to operate in freezing conditions and the water could be heated enough I think it would create "snow" similar to adding hot water to a super soaker in freezing conditions.

I want this job, fill up the Super Soaker and empty it.
  • Like 2

The Ohio State University Buckeyes Football Team won the 2014 National Championship.  Game was played January 12, 2015.  Same analogy.  They were not considered Champs in 2015 simply because the game was played in 2015, so don't expect Winter 2017 to mean January 2017!

Most are going to understand that Winter 2017 means next year Nov/Dec 2017.  So just like McDonald's needs to place on coffee cups "caution contents may be hot", I guess if enough people don't understand when Winter 2017 is, then KI will change it to say coming November 2017.

• Like 2

Not a bad idea but not likely to happen...I'd like to see the light show that was performed in Swan Lake in 2005, right where the splashdown is located !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Also seeing as how it's a Christmas holiday event I think most people will be associating it with the 2017 holiday season. Don't think many people are expecting, or really wanting, to go visit Santa in January. That's a bit early for their Christmas list, especially after having just received a bunch of gifts a week prior. I really don't think there will be much confusion.

• Like 2