Official: WinterFest 2017

RailRider

Come February, no one will be referring to it as Winter 2016. It'll be Winter 2017. Really, this will start Fall 2017. It'll probably have more open dates in Fall than it will in Winter. They should have referred to it as Holidays 2017 really and it would have left the grey areas out, but it is what it is. But I'm not going to keep arguing the semantics of what is Winter. It really accomplishes nothing as some people will argue just to be argumentative.

My issue is how they are presenting this. This is a cash grab and unnecessary. It's about getting pass sales from people who may not have been buying them already. They are going to make sales to people who don't read the fine print, or this board, or really think about it. They are going to see the splash page on the website saying Winterfest is back, buy your pass now. They are going to click buy and not think they need to research it. They aren't going to have any reason to think that KI would be announcing a Winter event 16 months early. It's not this Winter, It's next Winter. They aren't referring to it as next Winter. The telling part is that it's about a guarantee that they'll honor 2018 season passes at this event too. 

Only a dream and impractical but wouldn't it be fun if Diamondback were running and the scoops sprayed out snow?

Technically if it was able to operate in freezing conditions and the water could be heated enough I think it would create "snow" similar to adding hot water to a super soaker in freezing conditions.

The temperature needs to be in mid-40s to start the steel coasters.

With maintenance schedules and weather patterns, running any coaster in December is almost certainly impractical. I'm still pining for that elusive Beast snow ride*, though.

*I'm not counting November 1, 2014, as specs of precipitation were few and far between.

• Like 3

Come February, no one will be referring to it as Winter 2016. It'll be Winter 2017. Really, this will start Fall 2017. It'll probably have more open dates in Fall than it will in Winter. They should have referred to it as Holidays 2017 really and it would have left the grey areas out, but it is what it is. But I'm not going to keep arguing the semantics of what is Winter. It really accomplishes nothing as some people will argue just to be argumentative.

My issue is how they are presenting this. This is a cash grab and unnecessary. It's about getting pass sales from people who may not have been buying them already. They are going to make sales to people who don't read the fine print, or this board, or really think about it. They are going to see the splash page on the website saying Winterfest is back, buy your pass now. They are going to click buy and not think they need to research it. They aren't going to have any reason to think that KI would be announcing a Winter event 16 months early. It's not this Winter, It's next Winter. They aren't referring to it as next Winter. The telling part is that it's about a guarantee that they'll honor 2018 season passes at this event too. 

But in your scenario, one would be buying at 2017 pass, which is valid for the 2017 season, which for KI is typically started in April of every year? 

It is better this way because if WinterFest were making a return in 2016, all those buying a 2017 Season Pass still wouldn't be able to get in during Winterfest 2016 because that would be for the 2016 season and their pass would be valid for 2017 and not 2016!

Using your argument if they said Holidays 2017 to leave the grey areas out, someone would say why isn't it open for MLK Holiday in January?

As I stated before, if you wanna keep the idiots away that want to argue nonsense, then change it to coming November 2017, but then again some moron will make claim that they are only available to go first part of November and didn't realize it wasn't opening until after Thanksgiving and demand their money back.

Is it a cash grab when the announce a new ride for the following year and then put passes up for sale for said year?  This is no different - they announced an attraction being added NEXT YEAR, whether it is Mystic Timbers that will probably be opening in April or WinterFest probably opening in November.

New attractions for the following year drive season pass sales for the following year.  It has been this way in the industry for a long time.  Park announces new ride and then season passes go on sale.

This forum is starting to sound like the FaceBook posters....and that is not a compliment!

• Like 2

Can't wait to go to Winterfest next season. I never got to go in 2005.

This makes me wonder if Christmas in July was a dry run to see if Kings Island can do a holiday themed event. Since it seems like it was a success, that must've given them the green light to bring back a better than ever Winterfest.

• Like 2

I must lack common sense because I thought it was for this coming winter. That being said, I was renewing our passes anyways, so it's not going to change anything. I do wish it was this year because I'm very excited. I never experienced Winterfest, so I'll be impatiently waiting until winter 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must lack common sense because I thought it was for this coming winter. That being said, I was renewing our passes anyways, so it's not going to change anything. I do wish it was this year because I'm very excited.

If you do, then I do too. I thought the same, and it wasn't until I went looking for what the dates were going to be that I realized Greg might not have been referring to this year. It made the most sense to me that they were trying to influence people to get their season passes early so they would be able to go to Winterfest. Since its not until next winter, there's no real incentive to renew or buy now, at least not because of this announcement.

• Like 3

Only a dream and impractical but wouldn't it be fun if Diamondback were running and the scoops sprayed out snow?

Technically if it was able to operate in freezing conditions and the water could be heated enough I think it would create "snow" similar to adding hot water to a super soaker in freezing conditions.

The temperature needs to be in mid-40s to start the steel coasters.

With maintenance schedules and weather patterns, running any coaster in December is almost certainly impractical. I'm still pining for that elusive Beast snow ride*, though.

*I'm not counting November 1, 2014, as specs of precipitation were few and far between.

Flight of Fear could run year round, with periods of closure for maintence. Much like the coasters in warmer climates such as Florida.
  • Like 6

I must lack common sense because I thought it was for this coming winter. That being said, I was renewing our passes anyways, so it's not going to change anything. I do wish it was this year because I'm very excited.

If you do, then I do too. I thought the same, and it wasn't until I went looking for what the dates were going to be that I realized Greg might not have been referring to this year. It made the most sense to me that they were trying to influence people to get their season passes early so they would be able to go to Winterfest. Since its not until next winter, there's no real incentive to renew or buy now, at least not because of this announcement.

The only way that would work would be if CF changed their policy on new passes (I mean they could if they wanted).  Policy right now is buy a pass for next season and get one visit this year - so if it were WinterFest 2016, would they change policy to say buy a pass now for next season and it is good rest of this year.  Short of that, buying a pass now does get you into Winterfest 2017 at historically the cheapest pass price.

Besides using folks logic above in prior posts, if it said WinterFest 2016, then that means it already happened in January 2016 :P .

But in all fairness to those confused and in particular those at the announcement, it would be easy to assume it was for this season.  Many people claim they did not hear Greg say for 2017, so...

• Like 1

^in the original concept, they sold local arts and crafts and special Christmas decorations, along with Kings Island products. They had wood working, sculptures and blown glass decorations. They also sold holiday foods, gingerbread, hot chocolate and candies, and more.

I'm looking forwards to the train ride. Hopefully the woods will be decorated with scenes and lights. I did like the Paramount version for their light shows. It was something different to experience and very fun!

They will hopefully have a toy store that sells some traditional toys, I'm sure there will be something nice and unique to buy while there!

I'm going to have to find my winter scarf that I bought at the 2005 version that reads, "this is as merry as I get".... Tehehe!

• Like 4

Was at the announcement yesterday for this.

Just a thought, could Mystic Timbers have been engineered to run in this? It appears as if all the brake hardware is enclosed in the shed, so as not to have to deal with snow and ice and the like. The big issue with coasters in the cold is that they run so slowly they can't complete the circuit, but if I'm correct wooden coasters lose less kinetic energy than steel coasters due to steel wheels. I know Outlaw Run needs to reach 37 to open and closes when it hits 35 so that's kind of reasonable for the milder Decembers we've been having. And with Timbers being right next to the Rivertown station (confirmed to run during Winterfest) it would make sense to have it open.

• Like 2

Was at the announcement yesterday for this.

Just a thought, could Mystic Timbers have been engineered to run in this? It appears as if all the brake hardware is enclosed in the shed, so as not to have to deal with snow and ice and the like. The big issue with coasters in the cold is that they run so slowly they can't complete the circuit, but if I'm correct wooden coasters lose less kinetic energy than steel coasters due to steel wheels. I know Outlaw Run needs to reach 37 to open and closes when it hits 35 so that's kind of reasonable for the milder Decembers we've been having. And with Timbers being right next to the Rivertown station (confirmed to run during Winterfest) it would make sense to have it open.

Highly doubtful.  If any coasters runs I would think it would be Flight of Fear and that's very unlikely.

• Like 1

Coasters need maintenance, and a lot of them get stripped down to the bare frame in the offseason, Having them operate properly during the season is more important than having them run during this event. And, not to mention, other than with FoF, I'm not sure how safe it would be to ride around in freezing weather at 50+ mph with your face exposed.

As of the pass issues, adding Winterfest at all is a policy change. I am quite certain that they will sell 2018 season passes next year that can be used at Winterfest 2017.  

• Like 4

Coasters need maintenance, and a lot of them get stripped down to the bare frame in the offseason, Having them operate properly during the season is more important than having them run during this event. And, not to mention, other than with FoF, I'm not sure how safe it would be to ride around in freezing weather at 50+ mph with your face exposed.

As of the pass issues, adding Winterfest at all is a policy change. I am quite certain that they will sell 2018 season passes next year that can be used at Winterfest 2017.  

When FoF was constructed the park KI had 4 trains delivered. The park never did operate the 4th train since the coaster opened. If I'm not mistaken FoF typically operates with only 2 trains anymore, they could cycle two trains through maintenance during Winterfest and 2 trains during the regular season.

• Like 3

Dollywood has their coasters opened during their Christmas event.  Maybe they go to one train operations to allow for winter rehab.  The off season is much shorter there, too.  I guess it all depends on weather and how big of scale the park is going to have for Winterfest.  I'd rather they start small-ish and build up and make it a sustainable event for years to come.

Then again, they may be showcasing what the park can do for potential buyers...oh wait...

Only enthusiasts would claim any of this marketing is fraud.

2017 means 2017.  It's simple.  Come November 2017 (thanksgiving time) Winterfest will be in full swing. 

Does anyone really think that Winterfest 2017 starting winter 2017 actually means January 2017??

And why would Winterfest run past December 31st?

Next people will be complaining that Winterfest is a Christmas event and it should not start till after Thanksgiving.

• Like 8

When FoF was constructed the park KI had 4 trains delivered. The park never did operate the 4th train since the coaster opened. If I'm not mistaken FoF typically operates with only 2 trains anymore, they could cycle two trains through maintenance during Winterfest and 2 trains during the regular season.

Unless you want to ride with a train with shoulder harnesses there is not 4 trains ( not even sure if this one still exist)  They only have 3 trains with Lap Bars.

Even when the trains did have shoulder harnesses and there was 4 trains, it never ran with 4, and after a few seasons for some (un)known reason it went down to only having 3 trains, which i believe was Trains 1, 2, and 4.