Official: WinterFest 2017

RailRider

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

These LED bed lights are just part of the lighting package being installed for Winterfest (but these LED controlled lights can also be used for other events such as Haunt -making all red or orange, 4th July - red/white/blue, or even Pride night -all multicolor - if you look carefully, there are several new control boxes in addition to those left behind from Starlight a few years back).   The park is already undergoing the transformation for Winterfest, although the changes may not seem noticeable to most.   The median from the parking lot has had both electrical and speaker boxes installed, so look for ground displays as well as pole decorations leading up to the entrance.   As announced during Coasterstock in May, the crabapple trees just outside the gates were removed, and replaced with a circular stone bed (now containing flowers).  This will serve as the base for the 70 foot welcome LED tree (note light pole in the middle to support this 70 foot tree -very carefully designed and engineered specifically for Winterfest).   Once in the gates, note the concrete pads around the royal fountain.  These will server for the expanding ice rink, doubling the size of the rink from previous Winterfests.   Note the old lighting on the I-street buildings is being taking off and replaced by all LED lighting for Winterfest, which will also be tied into the controllers of the other LEDs through out the park, making one impressive light show.  Rumor is for summer of 2018 there will be a new pre-firework show with all these new LED controlled ground/building lights with the royal fountain lights (similar to IllumiNations at EPCOT).  Around the Eiffel Tower notice big concrete anchors which will hold the new LED light strings coming down from the top of the tower to form the 314 foot tree (and these strings are scheduled to go completely around the tower forming a full tree, which will then hold the record for the largest LED color changing tree in the world).  The tree tree topper for the tower tree is being a well kept secret.  Also note in preparation for the tree, all shrubs and trees have now been removed from around the tower, and several new large control panel boxes installed near the base of the tower to control the LED tree lights.   Just to the left of the Showcase outdoor theater, note another circular stone bed installed (where the big red/white/blue stars used to be for Snoopy Starlight).  This will likely be the location of another 70 foot LED tree light show similar to what Dollywood has or what was on Swan Lake with Holiday Illuminations for the 2005 Winterfest (Swan Lake was drained for Diamondback construction).   Notice concrete anchors along the path to Stunt Coaster to support various light display such as Candy Cane Lane.   And if you look closely in Tower gardens there are more concrete anchors for additional decorations.   It was also announced at Coasterstock that Coney Mall would be open with reindeer games, so look for additional Winterfest preparations in this area to occur over the summer - hopefully, they may be able to think of a way to bring back the Coney Mall lighted sign for Winterfest.   The same show line up that was featured at California Great America Winterfest this past season are expected to come to Kings Island, Home for the Holidays, It's Christmas Snoopy Ice Show, etc., and remains to be seen if the crowd popular King's Island Santa's Toy Factory from the former Winterfests will return, hopefully so.   Will there be coasters running for Winterfest?   It is rumored that the winter maintenance schedule is carefully being studied to see if at least Mystic Timbers might be able to operate depending upon the unpredictable Midwest winter weather, or at least run the indoor Flight of Fear.  Keep watching carefully around the park for more Winterfest preparations or upgrades (such as heat) that don't seem that obvious now, but are happening right before your eyes now in preparation for the grand return of Winterfest.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

The tree tree topper for the tower tree is being a well kept secret. 

Did you know the Eiffel Tower "Tree Topper" from the one and only Paramount's Kings Island Winterfest is still in use?  It's located on the exterior of the Entertrainment Junction building facing I-75.  

• Like 4

Several years ago, they actually switched out the lights on that to LED lights.  It was not LED when it was at Kings Island.

Winterfestguy, I believe that one of the show`s that California`s Great America had was very similar to the Santa`s Toy Story show that Kings Island had for both the first incarnation of Winterfest, and the second incarnation.  I believe that they called the show Tinker`s Toy Factory.  I would love for that show to return to Kings Island`s Winterfest.

I visited Winterfest back in 2005.  I didn`t find anything wrong with the actual event.  There could have been a few more entertainment options, sure.  But the parade was top notch.  The entertainment on the train was also very well done.  The big problem that I had with the 2005 version is they wanted to charge pass holders close to $25 a person for admission.  Not to mention you would have to pay for parking...

With this years incarnation of Winterfest free with Gold and Platinum pass holders that will be a big benefit for the event.  Not to mention, from all accounts I have heard of California`s Great America`s version of the event, Kings Island will have a hit on their hands that will continue for years to come.

Unlike with the 2005 version (where most of the decorations were rented), Kings Island is apparently upgrading a lot of the infrastructure to make this even successful for the long haul.

I am eagerly awaiting Winterfest this holiday season.

• Like 12

I heard the same thing at one point but can't provide a source.   A nice cold refreshing soda is not exactly what I am interested in when is 25F however.   

This past HITP SFSTL sold a $7-8 bottomless daily travel mug for hot chocolate that I thought was very reasonable and nearly everyone had one.   I imagine KI would have something similar.  

image.jpg

• Like 2

The beach has Beach Mountain tubing, but I think they have given up on a Holiday event... who knows. Maybe they will in have another holiday event in the future.

edit: just went to their site. (Beach Mountain) and apparently they have/had 100,000 Christmas lights on display during the season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The park is now holding auditions for WinterFest shows, including, and interestingly enough, a brass quartet and small vocal groups.  Sounds like there will be roving entertainment along with the ones at the fixed stages.  

The brass players better get paid well because playing outside in winter sucks. 

• Like 5