Official: WinterFest 2017

RailRider

Dollywood starts hanging Christmas lights in August...

It will make for a weird juxtaposition with Christmas stuff up at the park and the Haunt stuff still up.  If the setup for Winterfest 2005 is any indication of set up for this Winterfest, we will likely see the Royal fountain drained before the end of the regular season in October to prepare for the ice rink.

• Like 4

A few early mornings ago, I noticed some blue lights along some trees near the entrance for Slingshot, and possibly near Festhaus and the KI Theater. If these have been in place for a while, and I just haven't noticed, please let me know. Anyway, could these be for WinterFest?

Screenshot 2017-09-29 at 6.36.10 AM.png

• Like 1

I think this was around 10 years ago in Omaha my wife's radio station was in Christmas music battle with a competitor and the first station to go Christmas music usually got an advantage in ratings and ad buys.  Each year they tried to get the jump on each other and it got insane.   I think she started mid October one year.     :blink:

Regarding that protester.  I really hope that is a good photoshop job but you never know.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ian Tags said:

A few early mornings ago, I noticed some blue lights along some trees near the entrance for Slingshot, and possibly near Festhaus and the KI Theater. If these have been in place for a while, and I just haven't noticed, please let me know. Anyway, could these be for WinterFest?

Screenshot 2017-09-29 at 6.36.10 AM.png

It's likely from the new lights placed for Winterfest.

• Like 2

This is going to be a major, major challenge for food services.   SFSTL had huge problems with this as the evenings progressed and the temps fell.  

My hope is they don't way underestimate demand for the refills and have to few stations and long lines.  It takes time to heat large quantities of water.  

This will be a hit, every kid will have one and if they can't get them filled in a timely manner everyone will not be having the Best Day Ever.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

It was speculated that a souvenir mug for hot chocolate would be coming, and it has now been added to the website. Very exciting!

IMG_6114.PNG

I am pretty sure we will not see exiting refill cup plans work with this. (Just something to keep in mind.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

This is going to be a major, major challenge for food services.   SFSTL had huge problems with this as the evenings progressed and the temps fell.  

My hope is they don't way underestimate demand for the refills and have to few stations and long lines.  It takes time to heat large quantities of water.  

This will be a hit, every kid will have one and if they can't get them filled in a timely manner everyone will not be having the Best Day Ever.  

When I worked Food at KI '89 - '93, including Winterfest in 1990, we had hot chocolate machines that had a hot water line directly into them.  All you had to do was push the button and it mixes the hot water and chocolate powder, similar to the hot chocolate/cappuccino machines you can find in gas stations.  No waiting for batches of water to heat up.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar setup this time around.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

It hadn't even occurred to me that people might think they would link with current drink plans. It was pretty clear to me it is a separate purchase, at a very reasonable price IMHO. 

I can see someone in guest services wondering why their drink plan does not include the Hot Chocolate. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

It hadn't even occurred to me that people might think they would link with current drink plans. It was pretty clear to me it is a separate purchase, at a very reasonable price IMHO. 

I predict at any given moment during operation hours the dregs of our society will be lined up at least 20 deep at Guest Services to complain that they can't get a free thin paper cup and free scalding hot refills to hand to their children because they paid $30 back in June.  

I also predict First Aid will be deluged by mobs of children complaining of a "fuzzy" tongue.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1