Official: WinterFest 2017

RailRider

On 10/18/2017 at 2:52 PM, XGatorHead 8904 said:

Walking by those lights in the dark on Friday night, I thought they were Easter eggs and was confused.  It took me a minute to realize they were actually Christmas lights.

We jokingly thought they could do Easterfest because we both thought they looked like Easter eggs at first. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Target says customers want it to cool the "Christmas creep"

Target said Monday that its customers want the retail giant to stop the "Christmas creep" — when stores introduce Christmas-themed merchandise long before the holiday's regular shopping season. As a result, Target said it will lay off the Christmas promotions until later this year and focus on better recognizing Thanksgiving.

Flashback: The same thing happened this summer when stores began releasing a slew of fall-focused pumpkin-flavored products in July and August. The New York Times called it "Christmas creep, but orange."

https://www.axios.com/target-says-customers-want-it-to-cool-the-christmas-creep-2500345527.html

• Like 5

4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Target says customers want it to cool the "Christmas creep"

Target said Monday that its customers want the retail giant to stop the "Christmas creep" — when stores introduce Christmas-themed merchandise long before the holiday's regular shopping season. As a result, Target said it will lay off the Christmas promotions until later this year and focus on better recognizing Thanksgiving.

Flashback: The same thing happened this summer when stores began releasing a slew of fall-focused pumpkin-flavored products in July and August. The New York Times called it "Christmas creep, but orange."

https://www.axios.com/target-says-customers-want-it-to-cool-the-christmas-creep-2500345527.html

THANK YOU TARGET!!!!! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not even exaggerating when I say that them doing that will cause me to go out of my way to shop there more.

I want to like Christmas, but I can't stand that the advertising starts earlier and earlier. Combine that with people mauling each other to buy gifts, and I'm out. I get more excited about New Years'.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

A Target by where I work already has lights out. It doesn't bother me too much: I think there's a practicality in purchasing a lot of Christmas stuff before Christmas. 

My brother in law's mom is a manager at our local Target and she told us that because where the seasonal section is in the store if they don't put lights there (that have already arrived) the section would set empty as they don't receive enough other seasonal product to stock those shelves during this time frame. If they left the shelves empty...there wouldn't be $$ coming in for that area because folks have already been buying the lights. 

• Like 2

All of my shopping is done and wrapped already. Of course it’s always a surprise to see what’s wrapped because we normally forget. However I stay in budget and am stress free. So bring on the Christmas lights, I’ve started shopping for Christmas this year, the day after Christmas last year. 

With Winterfest I think I am most looking forward to getting to put ice skates on, walking onto the ice and falling on my backside. While I love hockey, I am very uncoordinated. If nothing breaks I will be happy. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, jdf21972 said:

11ae7e6837d99772dc2e29e4d6b0a670.jpg

Thanks to Lance Heal for the photo. The newest member to star at Winterfest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOOO!!!! Now if only we could have these running the parking lot during the normal season too :) I'm assuming there will only be one though :( 

3 minutes ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

That looks like the Holly Jolly Trolley. Last night when leaving work I saw a truck delivering what looked like the wooden pallets that will be used to support ice rink on the Royal Fountain. 

I saw that too as we were leaving. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

I'm so excited for Winterfest! Looked at the site and saw that Action Zone will indeed be open and also, a sledding hill? Wonder where this will be located?

Link: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/winterfest/attractions/action-ice-zone

Slide down Congo Falls? Not practical, but that was the first thing that popped in my head. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The only things I could think of are A) They make an artificial sledding hill on the Invertigo midway (and have it run towards Chicken Shack) or b- have a slolam area where you sled down The Bat's exit and end in the tunnel (but then again, that might be dangerous!). Also, they could possibly open up some of the hillside under The Bat, but this may be a safety concern also. Time will tell, I guess...

EDIT: Just tweeted at KI, so we may get a response! 

• Like 4

The sledding hill is located in Action Zone, but I have no idea where in Action Zone. We shall find out in three weeks and three days (as it is November 1st! Happy November!). :D

I may find out sooner since I work during WinterFest and will have a training day in the coming week or two, but even if I do find out, my lips are sealed. :)

• Like 4

It's nice to see that they'll have most of the park open for Winterfest, even if most of the rides aren't running. Also, interesting location for the sledding- wonder how that'll work? Also, I wonder if sledding cost extra (which they could easily do as Skyflier's booth is nearby)?

• Like 2

We were checking out the tree as we left on Sunday. For those not at the park this past weekend, this is outside the park entrance, right before security as you walk in. I was trying to figure out why it would need plugs (white things on the inside of the tree) as i couldn't see any lights. Then thinking maybe the bulbs light up. Nope! I'm pretty sure it's a fiber optic tree. This is going to be one large tree and (I think) a great way to welcome people into the park. I'm excited to see it all lit up at night! 

20171029_180645.jpg

20171029_180727.jpg

• Like 10