Official: WinterFest 2017

RailRider

Yeah, I'm loving the crowds (I'm serious!). This means Winterfest has been a roaring success. I went tonight on a whim (was originally planning to do something else tonight, but that didn't happen) and had a blast. Did two (well, three) new things tonight: saw What the Dickens, listned to the piano player at Reds and saw The Mistletones. Dickens was hilarious, I enjoyed the piano player, and while the Mistletones were ok, I thought Jingle Jazz was better. I also got to see the animals at Nativity and got to hear some of that great music that the singers perform every so often. Also got in my usual favorites (Tinkers, Plight Before Christmas, and Drummers) as well as rode Zephyr and the Carousel. Finally, I really enjoyed talking to the people I met and saw along the way. 

• Like 8

I visited last night and I thought it was incredible! Posting pictures doesn't even come close to capturing how great it was. It's something you have to be there to experience. I got the hot chocolate in a Beast mug, and 3 kinds of fudge. Their holiday fudges are incredible that I couldn't just pick one. The park was a little on the crowded side but I managed to do almost everything I wanted to. I got 3 MT rides by using the single rider line. It was worth the 3.5 hour drive. I'll be making it a tradition to go to Winterfest every year.

• Like 8

Went again to Winterfest tonight (surprise, surprise!) and enjoyed riding Mystic Timbers, seeing Tinkers and Plight, and riding Dodgems and Zephyr (the latter of which I got a Zen ride on as it was the last cycle right before close). I also did something new tonight and saw Tana Matz perform as the Holly Holiday String-A-Long "show". It's not so much as show as it is Tana strumming her guitar, talking to the audience and singing. I enjoyed her Christmas covers and her voice reminds me of Dixie Chicks or Dolly Parton (she covered "Rock Candy Christmas" and said she's been a big fan of Dolly's). Also, I must add that it really didn't feel like you were at Kings Island anymore, but at a bar or a coffee house listening to an up-and-coming artist. I love that Winterfest truly has something for everyone, from Broadway style shows (Charlie Brown's Christmas Spectacular), to a dance party, to the variety of singing shows, from acapella to acoustic. They have really hit it out of the park this year with Winterfest; here's to many more.

I also got my picture with Scrooge and Mr. Tannenbaum (my two favorite characters) as well as hung out with @Magenta Lizard and @exscream team for a good portion of the night. :D

• Like 6

One of my favorite performers at Winterfest is Ebenezer Scrooge. I realized tonight that it would be a bit incongruous, though, to hear his beloved "humbug!" after Christmas. I wonder if when the park is open December 26-30th if we'll instead see "as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew." I have no doubt the actor is capable, but I don't know if it is in the plans.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

One of my favorite performers at Winterfest is Ebenezer Scrooge. I realized tonight that it would be a bit incongruous, though, to hear his beloved "humbug!" after Christmas. I wonder if when the park is open December 26-30th if we'll instead see "as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew." I have no doubt the actor is capable, but I don't know if it is in the plans.

I asked for a selfie (it was on FB).  I asked if we could make mean faces.  He said, "I know I can, but I can't be sure about you."

I love Scrooge.  Bah Humbug!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

This guy and Goble should never touch.  The universe and the space time continuum might implode. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

But from a business perspective, more rides equals more worked to have to pay to operate those rides, which means a lower profit margin.  Keep in mind, that the rides they have running during Winterfest still need to have their off season maintenance done to them.  So the park essentially has three and a half months to do their off season overhaul verses five and a half, or almost half the time.

• Like 4

I don't see a need for any more rides being open than already are, the ride lineup is already pretty good especially for those with younger kids. Plus this let's some of the rides that don't usually get a lot of love during the summer some time to shine (looking at you Zephyr).

• Like 10

^I agree completely! Last night, when I rode Scrambler, Dodgem, and Zephyr, I appreciated my rides on them much more as I did not have to worry about deciding which of the many rides to ride next in my limited time before closing. I declared Zephyr my favorite ride on this trip.

-BFF, who partook three times in Zephyr’s time to shine in an otherwise quiet Coney Mall/Elf Village.

• Like 7

I too, have enjoyed my Winterfest rides on Zephyr, as well as Mystic Timbers.

But one thing I'd like to change in the Elf Village... bring back Al! He could even be called Everest the Elf, but bring back the voice!

EDIT: To quote him, that high pitched voice needs to "Skidoo!"

• Like 1

I think it would be cool if they opened up the pathway from the end of Coney Mall to Rivertown as I think that would be a good area to put some lights up and walk through. Plus it would give them the opportunity to open up Shake Rattle & Roll, oh and of course 3 Point Challenge so we can have basketballs! B)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dtk1378 said:

I think it would be cool if they opened up the pathway from the end of Coney Mall to Rivertown as I think that would be a good area to put some lights up and walk through. Plus it would give them the opportunity to open up Shake Rattle & Roll, oh and of course 3 Point Challenge so we can have basketballs! B)

I totally agree.....well not about the basketballs...but I honestly find it a pain to go to Coney from Rivertown but having to pass through the I-Street area and/or WinterFest way. 

• Like 3

Have to agree to the “on par or better” than Dollywood. So much of the entertainment is “in the street” at ki that I think it adds to the energy. A few more flat rides open would push the energy level higher, but I understand why things even like Viking fury aren’t open from an ops standpoint as the line for skate check in would make getting to it crazy. There seems to be a more”high energy” vibe here whereas Dollywood is a bit more “laid back country” 

• Like 4