Official: WinterFest 2017

RailRider

Ive visited both KI Winterfest and Dollywood's Smokey Mountain Christmas this year and found them both to be outstanding.  I wouldn't rate one above the other.  The entry into Kings Island just cannot be topped with the Royal Fountain, International Street and the Eiffel Tower Christmas Tree.  Its nice Dollywood has all their coasters going but the shows and food are over the top there.  Both are outstanding and its great to see Winterfest back at Kings Island.

• Like 4

Posting for the first time in months.

Out of my two visits this season to Winterfest, I must say I think the lights were well done, live entertainment was outstanding, and the overall feel and atmosphere of the park was next to none. That being said, I have some small qualms.

Winterfest does not have any real light show. Festival of Lights has their show on the lake with lights synchronized to music. I would like to see that at Winterfest. I thought "Winterfest Way" was supposed to be that, but it was really just a bunch of randomly flashing lights. 

Secondly, I hate the timing of the live entertainment. Most of the shows started at either :00 or :30, so I struggled figuring out what to go see - because once Charlie Brown's Christmas Spectacular was over, I didn't have enough time to get to the next show. I wish more of the shows would alternate (so, half at :15 and half at :30). Not entirely sure if I am speaking logically, I just know there is something I didn't like about it.

Other than that, Winterfest was great. I can't wait to see what they have in store for next year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jdawg1998 said:

Posting for the first time in months.

Out of my two visits this season to Winterfest, I must say I think the lights were well done, live entertainment was outstanding, and the overall feel and atmosphere of the park was next to none. That being said, I have some small qualms.

Winterfest does not have any real light show. Festival of Lights has their show on the lake with lights synchronized to music. I would like to see that at Winterfest. I thought "Winterfest Way" was supposed to be that, but it was really just a bunch of randomly flashing lights. 

Secondly, I hate the timing of the live entertainment. Most of the shows started at either :00 or :30, so I struggled figuring out what to go see - because once Charlie Brown's Christmas Spectacular was over, I didn't have enough time to get to the next show. I wish more of the shows would alternate (so, half at :15 and half at :30). Not entirely sure if I am speaking logically, I just know there is something I didn't like about it.

Other than that, Winterfest was great. I can't wait to see what they have in store for next year.

I can kind of agree with you on the show timing. While it's nice after a couple of visits to know which shows are at the :00 and :30 times, so I think if they added :15 would make it a little more confusing....

I have hustled from one end the park to the other to get to a show, but it's not necessary the best of interest for everyone to do that. 

The one thing I wish they would have done was list the times for shows like Holly Jolly Trolley and Blitzen's Brass Band (and general areas for those times you can see them). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoasterOhio said:

I took my 50th ride on mystic today!

why is it so low? Wasn’t a visitor. Employee instead. I’m still happy with getting 50!

In other news, the park installed Anti-rollbacks at the top of the brake run for mystic as valley prevention. 

Awesome! Glad to see them taking care of the ride.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2017 at 0:31 AM, mayaman2 said:

Well, your wish is being partially fulfilled. The week after Christmas, the park is opening an hour earlier than previously scheduled (at 4 o'clock).

Does this mean gates (and international street) open at 3 and parking open before that? We went a few weeks ago when there was a 5 o'clock open, but international street was open at 4pm.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kikid74 said:

Does this mean gates (and international street) open at 3 and parking open before that? We went a few weeks ago when there was a 5 o'clock open, but international street was open at 4pm.

No everything opens at 4. Turnstiles open at 4 and the full park is open.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Re: the show timings, I feel like most of the shows end early/start later than regular season shows do to compensate for the timing. For example, I was able to book it from Plight to Drummers one night with some time to spare. 

On a random note, does anyone on here know what the #homefortheholidays building that was advertised on KI's Twitter is/was supposed to be? I'm not sure where this is in the park at all.

• Like 1

I went again last night and had a fantastic time. Saw Cool Yule Christmas and Holly Jolly Trolley for the first time and enjoyed both. Cool Yule reminds me of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade performances while I really enjoyed the  hats worn by the HJT performers, what with their feathers and ribbon-things (as well as the music of course!). Also saw my usual favorites: Tinkers, Jingle Jazz, Drummers and Plight. 

Edit: Also got in night rides on Mystic, Zephyr, and a close-to-Closing ride on Boo Blasters.

Edit2: @Magenta Lizard, I paid attention to the light display by Planet Snoopy; it seems to be syncronized (maybe?) to Basshunter's version of Jingle Bells.

• Like 2

I've been very impressed with Winterfest and look forward to seeing what the park does in the future with the event.  All of the food from the cinnamon bread to The Beast Hot Chocolate to the little Christmas tree cookies have been outstanding.  I actually preferred KI's cinnamon bread to Dollywood's because I didn't feel it was as greasy.  One of the things I have enjoyed about Winterfest is just walking around and taking it all in.

As we think about the future of the park, I wonder what impact the success of Winterfest has in taking into account future development.  I think they should look into building more winter-proof buildings (another indoor show building and more indoor restaurant seating) which would come in handy during those cooler nights of Haunt as well as during Winterfest.  I would also like to see them add more flats that can be used year round.  I realize it is probably a stretch at this time but I would be thrilled if they announced that they were putting more flats in for next year.  One of the benefits of Winterfest has been the love that Zephyr and Scrambler and Dodgem have gotten from the crowds that they normally wouldn't.  Adding more flats would also help better disburse the crowds and wouldn't require a lot of extra workers to run them.

• Like 9

On 12/20/2017 at 8:01 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

Finally tried The Beast Hot Chocolate and it is the real deal.

We tried it Sat night, omg it was incredible. I haven't had chocolate in 2 months cause I found out I have diabetes but this drink I had to cheat, thankfully my husband drank most of it. 

• Like 3

We tried it Sat night, omg it was incredible. I haven't had chocolate in 2 months cause I found out I have diabetes but this drink I had to cheat, thankfully my husband drank most of it. 
I have type one diabetes, and the hot chocolate took me over 400! But for the one time it was worth it. And The Beast mug was my main goal.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It will be cold, but I'm looking forward to finally seeing Winterfest with snow on the ground. I hope to be there Saturday for Closing Day, but I may visit earlier in the week instead depending on my schedule.

I have yet to try The Beast hot chocolate, but the weather will be perfect for it this week.

• Like 1

I had been planning to go tonight and at least another weeknight and closing day, but it's supposed to be sooo cold now, I'm not sure. 

I’m in the same boat tonight. The more I think about it, the less thrilled I am to get in the car to drive 1:15 just to drink some hot chocolate, eat and catch a few shows all while freezing.
  • Like 1

MT will be a no go. Supposed to be 30-32 to run it. That’s above zero, not below. LOL

More than likely MT has given its last rides for the year as temps for the remaining days of WF will not reach the start up temp of 35. Then again, Cincinnati weather is crazy and changes very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3