EPCOT is getting a coaster

"The last remaining Disney Park on Earth" without a roller coaster (Quote from the above article)? What an interesting thought, especially considering that the Disney Parks with a coaster usually have only 1 or 2 thrilling headliners (Everest, Space Mountain in Paris, Rock n Roller Coaster, California Screamin'...) along with Big Thunder, Space Mountain and the kids coasters (Barnstormer). Curious to see what kind of coaster this'll turn out to be...

Vekoma is testing a new style flyer.  There have been rumors it was for Disney but also rumors pointing towards other parks.  It's difficult to describe quickly.  But here is a website with pictures and video of what's being tested.  Plus here is a youtube video from the site.  Just watch the seats rotate at the top of the lift hill and as they return to the station.  Honestly it looks amazing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

People assume because old Vekoma Flyers are the way they are, the company hasn't improved on or wanted to improve on their own technology. I wouldn't be surprised if the reliability and capacity issues have been resolved after all this time. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

In researching a trip to Disney World Resorts, one of the biggest complaints I'm reading is the crowds, especially at MK. (There's complaints about overflowing garbage cans, but that goes hand in hand with crowds.)

Maybe DIS is  finding a way to siphon people to the other parks to alleviate that problem. People are not enjoying themselves at the park, and that means they will be less likely to return, and worse, tell five people that it's not worth it to go.

I, myself, went to MK in '76 in July. It was not crowded, not like the photos I'm seeing online. It was very easy for me to not be aware of the time and still see a grand parade, and had enough space around me to let even smaller kids in front of me. Already they stopped the Socal Annual Pass to thin the amount of people pouring through the gates.

My choice of parks will focus on Pixar, and the Guardians, not in that order. None of them are in MK.

Many of the attractions that man I married and I want to experience are outside the MK, so that's two people they fished out of the masses. 

All my life, I've been taught to 'take what you've got and do something with it." Seems like Disney's doing the same thing. They've got to deal with bigger and bigger crowds every year, and they have some rides that aren't making capacity. What else are they gonna do? They just can't build anywhere they want with that conservation of land gig that Disney put in.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 2:52 PM, silver2005 said:

The big problem I see with a launched flyer is that there is a ton of computer hardware where the seats fold up (at least on the Vekoma model), and you have them laying next to big, powerful magnets. 

I don't believe they use magnets, rather there are mechanical pins that slide through the reclined seats, locking them in place to the main vehicle chassis. There are several sensors on board the vehicle to confirm each pin (and there are many) is locked and ready to go. These sensors communicate with the main computer wirelessly. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tanna said:

In researching a trip to Disney World Resorts, one of the biggest complaints I'm reading is the crowds, especially at MK. (There's complaints about overflowing garbage cans, but that goes hand in hand with crowds.)

Maybe DIS is  finding a way to siphon people to the other parks to alleviate that problem. People are not enjoying themselves at the park, and that means they will be less likely to return, and worse, tell five people that it's not worth it to go.

I, myself, went to MK in '76 in July. It was not crowded, not like the photos I'm seeing online. It was very easy for me to not be aware of the time and still see a grand parade, and had enough space around me to let even smaller kids in front of me. Already they stopped the Socal Annual Pass to thin the amount of people pouring through the gates.

My choice of parks will focus on Pixar, and the Guardians, not in that order. None of them are in MK.

Many of the attractions that man I married and I want to experience are outside the MK, so that's two people they fished out of the masses. 

All my life, I've been taught to 'take what you've got and do something with it." Seems like Disney's doing the same thing. They've got to deal with bigger and bigger crowds every year, and they have some rides that aren't making capacity. What else are they gonna do? They just can't build anywhere they want with that conservation of land gig that Disney put in.

Disney has a plethora of land left to build on in Florida even with the covenants in place.  The MK is expanding in pockets (new theater in FL, Tron Coaster), plus they've opened up some of the backstage areas to alleviate the congestion.  The Hub enlargement did a lot to help as well.  The fact remains that of the parks, the MK has the least amount of construction, so folks are going to migrate there until the new attractions come online in the other parks.  Much like other parks, Disney can and will tear down and rebuild to conserve space when necessary.   It's been said numerous times here, but there really isn't a slow season anymore.  It's just various shades of busy.

The winter holidays (plus marathon) are the worst, followed by the peak summer season, then late spring and fall.  Even on a 'slow' day, waits for even the A-C rides can be 30 minutes in the standby line.  Also, the FP + system is constantly being tweaked to avoid congestion, so that's also a way Disney can spread the crowds out.  Ticket prices increase yearly, but unlike in CA, those going to the Florida parks are vacationers buying packages, whose prices aren't usually affected.  Another telling sign as to the type of park guest Disney is getting down there these days can be seen in the transformation of major sections of their hotels to DVC-branded areas.  They don't have enough 'new' stock to go around, so in order to combat the resellers, Disney is converting more and more hotel space to DVC.  It's a good problem to have if you're a stockholder.  The parks drive the profit, followed by the movie division.  If Disney can divest itself of ESPN, you'd really see profits soar.  All in all, the days of going down to Disney World and seeing sparse crowds on the formally slow days is long gone, with an uncertain return, if ever.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...