Soak City closed 8/19... Virus?

chuck norris

Soak is closed on what should have been the last weekday operating day of the season.

https://m.facebook.com/visitkingsisland/?tsid=0.33347357576712966&source=typeahead

Rumor has it that it is related to a regional outbreak of the crypto virus... Many public pools in Columbus are closing tomorrow to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See this prior thread: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/32298-zoombezi-bay-19-visitors-sick-test-positive-for-crypto/

There are more than 200 cases now reported in the Columbus area, and it's no longer tied to one specific pool. Columbus-area pools will be closed tomorrow for super chlorination. If this is why Soak City is closed, it's good that they're being proactive about it. Much better to disappoint some guests than for any to get sick.

Those who are sick need to stay out of swimming facilities. From the Dispatch article:

An infected person can spread the disease long after diarrhea subsides and should avoid swimming for at least two weeks.
  • Like 2

This is the first I'd heard of this virus. I do not know if it's the case in which they have to shock (super chrolonate) their pools.

Also, don't forget that the weather report was rather grim for today (looked much worse than it was) and with the presumed low attendance closing SC would be a great cost cutting measure.

• Like 1

Or it could have been closed to allow the parking lot to be used for the tennis tournament. Lot was full today for the tourney...their normal parking (golf course) was a little wet lol

Or it was a staffing issue...

Or it was the crypto threat.....

Or any combination of above or other.....

• Like 2

"Do not pee or poop in the water." For those who thought this was acceptable. Sigh.

You would be surprised. The last time I went there. And I do mean the Last Time, the second to last kicker was watching a girl pull off her Bandaid, and letting the puss of a sore wash off in the low ebb of the tidal pool.

• Like 1

If the virus thing is why they closed then they shocked the pools and it takes several hours for them to get down to an acceptable level. If you bring the pH up to a shock level it has a very good chance of killing any virus that may be in the pool. The chlorine would evaporate down to abnormal level within several hours and the park can safely continue with their normal chlorine / acid / alkaline system.

• Like 2

Can the thread title be changed from "tomorrow" to August 19th?

Done.

I realize they had tennis tourney overflow parking there... but that parking was there Thursday and it didn't necessitate the closing of the water park.  There was still plenty of parking.  I'm glad it's open now... and I appreciate KI being proactive about cleaning up (I hope it was proactive), but I refuse to believe that KI would have agreed to allow tennis parking at the expense of the last weekday operating day of Kings Island... so I have to believe it was related to fact that MANY other places in the greater region closed their waterparks (aka Columbus) and KI attracts guests from that particular region (many of whom might have come to Soak City had they been open).