Wildwater Kingdom to close for good Sept. 5th

Are there any other water parks in the Cleveland burbs or is that it?

Pioneer Waterland outside Chardon, OH. They have 5 slides and a lazy river.
Well at least they have something. I have only been to Zoombezi once this year but not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to reguraly drive to a" full service" park. In my kids perspective a waterpark is just as big a thrill as the dry.
  • Like 1

I think the funnel slide would be popular relocated at a new park. Those slides at KI and KD are among guests' favorites and always have long lines. Surprisingly, though, Knott's is removing theirs in favor of a more tame looking slide.

So that's two Cedar Fair funnel slides without homes now. For reasons stated above, I personally think they would fit right on in at Cedar Point Shores, Carolina Harbor, or any park that doesn't have one; well, any except Knott's, I guess.

• Like 4

I think it is safe to say, that Cedar Fair will never do that to KI.  The park makes them a lot of money.  WildWater Kingdom suffered from a lack of investment.  And I think part of it was that they wanted people to visit Cedar Point from Cleveland and stay in hotel rooms.  Competition was just too close.  

Now I wonder if they will ever be able to do anything with the land to get some money from it. 

• Like 3

What a sad and tragic ending for a historical amusement park...... 

Even if I was not old enough to really remember the events, I will ALWAYS hold Dick Kinzel and the Old Cedar Fair accountable for essentially killing off this park, Six Flags is not out of blame here as they built the park entirely too quickly for them and employees to handle, however Cedar Fair put the final nail in the coffin when this park could have just been downsized. 

What a shame to see so much history and at one point the worlds largest amusement park is now reduced to an abandoned razed and overgrown mess.... with an abandoned rollercoaster sitting there, never to operate again.... its tragic.

• Like 2

As I see it, this now creates a bit more motivation for CF to become more reasonable and fluid in its requirements/restrictions on the sale and future development of the land.  With SC permanently closed, the parcel of land is now generating zero income, and is officially nothing but a tax and insurance liability.  The issue, of course, is the feasibility of any possible redevelopment in today's continued financial and economic climate.

• Like 4

Those facts played into my thoughts as well, when considering the possibilities.  My initial thought was the ability for a developer to now come in and build all around the lake, but said economic and governmental/local restrictions  could certainly make that an undertaking that would not be financially beneficial.

• Like 1

To be honest, I personally think it was time.... 

The annual attendance probably didn't help the property either. 

I get that some people are upset, but I've been cracking up at posts I've seen like "I've written and sent Cedar Fair a strongly worded letter about this terrible decision and I will never step foot on property to any Cedar Fair parks..." 

• Like 2

It was time because a business can only survive so long without needing further investment. It's been 10 years since anything was invested in the park, and even that was only a fraction of the investment they had planned. That community is not growing, so these "new" businesses are only going to be pulling from a very small local community, when in the past they had an extra million people come through every summer.