Cedar Point Shores Water Park

Been gone a while and searching by hand / using search didn't show anything. Is this already being discussed in its own thread somewhere?

Cedar Point's Soak City is becoming Cedar Point Shores Water Park, complete with a few new slide complexes. 

PPheader.jpg

https://www.cedarpoint.com/what-s-new/cedar-point-shores-water-park

The name doesn't quite roll off the tongue (even just making it Cedar Shores would be an improvement in my mind). Would make more sense if it were wrapped into Cedar Point and included with admission. Could that be the end game? Either way, a great idea, and the concept art looks fantastic.

In any case, it's funny to see Cedar Fair's new dedication to creating unique, personalized water park identities for its parks (Cedar Point Shores, Carolina Harbor) literally just a few years after sweeping through and identically naming so many of them Soak City. I'm all for it. I'd love to see ours rebranded as Royal Shores or Queens Harbor or something. Seems unlikely given the newness of Soak City, but still. The more the parks in the chain are empowered to reflect their own stories, atmospheres, auras, etc., the better. In my mind, Soak City is the Flight Deck of water park names. Fine for Knott's where it originated, but splashed thoughtlessly across properties since then. 

LLheader.jpg

All images via Cedar Point's website.

• Like 13

There has been some discussion in the CP thread, but considering it is its own gate it sort of makes sense to have its own thread I suppose.

Mystic Timbers doesn't quite roll of the tongue either so we have Mr. T. :) There are high resolution architectural drawings that were revealed at the announcement and have been posted elsewhere that show the new layout. Two separate parks and gates remain. The CP gate is now back by the Magnum photo booth which is gone and maybe a new one. Bickering continues on if the tunnel is staying.

It's only one new slide tower and then kiddie splash pads/play/slide areas. I suppose one could call them complexes.

While welcome my personal take on it is likened to adding a lane on a beltway interstate. By the time it is completed it is already obsolete and outdated. What they are doing adds very little to capacity and with dropping the new Breakers tower where they are the only place to expand is into the RV/cabin park.

• Like 4

I'm hoping the Resort Gate at Cedar Point gets an upgrade as a result of the Soak City/CP Shores conversion. The Marina Gate saw an upgrade this year with Valravn, the Main Entrance in 2013 when Gatekeeper was built. The Beach gate, I'm not sure when it was redone. Thinking a few years back when Lakeside Pavilion was redone? Right now, the Resort Gate is the weakest of the four in my opinion. 

Just looking at the waterpark going up the lift on Magnum, you can see how much smaller it is compared to our waterpark. With Challenge Golf and Challenge Park on the way out and the possibility of Ripcord going into the main park, that frees up a little bit of space for CP to work with.

• Like 3

I'm hoping the Resort Gate at Cedar Point gets an upgrade as a result of the Soak City/CP Shores conversion. The Marina Gate saw an upgrade this year with Valravn, the Main Entrance in 2013 when Gatekeeper was built. The Beach gate, I'm not sure when it was redone. Thinking a few years back when Lakeside Pavilion was redone? Right now, the Resort Gate is the weakest of the four in my opinion.

Just looking at the waterpark going up the lift on Magnum, you can see how much smaller it is compared to our waterpark. With Challenge Golf and Challenge Park on the way out and the possibility of Ripcord going into the main park, that frees up a little bit of space for CP to work with.

The resort gate is getting redone. I can't find it anymore, but I saw a picture of a large blueprint for the new park posted on a wall somewhere within the park. In it you can clearly see the entrance gate is being moved in past the tunnel under the road and closer to Magnum. It is this same blueprint that revealed Challenge Golf and Ripcord were being moved/removed.

From the what's new 2017 page.

More New Upgrades

"Cedar Point Shores will receive a completely new entrance gate, a new poolside bar, new family changing/showering areas, more lounge chairs, additional shade, improved landscaping and unobstructed views of Lake Erie."

I really don't understand this last part. All the new stuff is on the other side of SC so what is changing to offer unobstructed views of Lake Erie? The only things that obstruct the view are trees and Magnum.

This is a bit better image of the blueprint.

http://rollercoasterfreak.com/shores.jpg

• Like 1

The tunnel will be gone.

That's sad. I like tunnels. Always watch the tunnel shows on History/Discover Channel.

If it has standing water issues probably cheaper to get rid of it that fix them. It also makes sense to remove it from the standpoint that it would no longer be under as much controlled access as in the park.

Going off on a tangent here, but in the 2nd concept picture, it shows Mean Streak still around in the background (I see MS's first fan turns, its not Gemini).  

Mistake or not?  :ph34r:

I suspect the concept art was done before MS announcement. Also removing it would would be an indication of their plans. We don't know if it will be removed or when.

#saveMeanStreak

Again /jk

• Like 1

Are any of the three new slide attractions mentioned likely to be used items brought up from Wildwater Kingdom after its close? I'm pretty sure Point Plummet is going to be new but I'm not familiar enough with the stuff at the old Geauga Lake to know about the other two?

I believe that they will all be new. There is really only the new Point Plummet slide tower. Two of the other slides mentioned are off that tower as well. Looks to be about the same as Tropical Plunge from Kings Island and Blackbeard's Revenge at Carolina Harbor, just with an extra drop pod slide in place of the third tube slide. The only other new attraction is a splash pad so I'm assuming that is all new as well.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them expand it more soon with some other stuff, primarily one of the tornado funnel slides. CF has removed the one from Knott's and is closing Wildwater Kingdom so that leaves two of them open to be either relocated or sold, would make sense to move them to one of their parks without one. Be a nice addition for the new CPS.

Bkroz, I agree with you on the naming. Don't think CPS is bad but Cedar Shores does sound a lot nicer. Be great to see ours get renamed and maybe some light theming. Think Queen's Harbor sounds great and could be a nice tie into the name Kings Island.

• Like 1

^ Where would they put a Tornado without removing something?

I know the one at KISC has a lift for the rafts, how about the other two? The one at SFSTL does not have a lift. Those rafts are a real pain to lug up the tower assuming they are the same cloverleaf design. We haven't been on the one at KI.

Jason McClure via the Plain Dealer: no plans to relocate GL WildWater Kingdom rides/equipment to CP Shores. http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2016/08/cedar_points_jason_mcclure_tal_1.html

A few more interesting tidbits in that article as well, including the obligatory request for comment from Dennis Speigel.

To meet demand, Cedar Point is increasing its hotel inventory by about 15 percent, adding rooms to two of its four hotels.

That would be ~225 new rooms, at least a $13M investment.

RipCord, a high-thrill, swing-type ride, is the only Challenge Park attraction that will return in 2017, though the park is still trying to figure out where to relocate it.

[McClure] added, "The only thing I can tell you right now is that we won't disappoint you with what we do [at the Mean Streak location]."

• Like 2

^ Where would they put a Tornado without removing something?

I know the one at KISC has a lift for the rafts, how about the other two? The one at SFSTL does not have a lift. Those rafts are a real pain to lug up the tower assuming they are the same cloverleaf design. We haven't been on the one at KI.

Not sure what all they are moving and exact spots of new things but a single Tornado slide isn't a huge footprint. But if they are removing or relocation all of Challenge Park I feel like there would still be some left over room in that spave given we are only getting a small kids play area and a water slide tower added for next year. If they really wanted as well could extend into the parking lot some too.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I don't get it, is everyone going to line up across the street every morning to get in the park. Looks like many accidents waiting to happen. When we get up at the hotel and head in that gate the line would sometimes be backed up to the Soak City parking lot, and now there is a street between the sidewalk and the entrance. Still need the tunnel in my opinion.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Airtimeluvr said:

I don't get it, is everyone going to line up across the street every morning to get in the park. Looks like many accidents waiting to happen. When we get up at the hotel and head in that gate the line would sometimes be backed up to the Soak City parking lot, and now there is a street between the sidewalk and the entrance. Still need the tunnel in my opinion.

They more than likely will have the gate-system like at Kings Island's Railroad crossing for White Water Canyon. Or maybe a typical cross guard that will stop traffic. (With a security guard in place.)

Or if you've ever go into Soak City Entrance at Kings Island? Possibly have it like that. Speed bumps that will make cars slow down (That are bolted to the ground.) But in this case, they may be permanent. 

1 hour ago, Airtimeluvr said:

It more than likely is going to be like the Marina Entrance as King Ding Dong has said. There are a ton of people crossing Perimeter Road and there haven't been many accidents if any at all there. I've observed that traffic moves much quicker at that part of the road than back by this area pictured. 

• Like 1