We are looking for a new moderator.

As many of you have pointed out, moderation has been a little underwhelming the past few months.  The main moderators on these forums simply don't have time to watch the boards as we once did.  This was a disservice to you, and we do apologize for that.

However, the time has come to appoint a new moderator.  

What we are looking for is someone who:

Has been with the forums for at least two years

Has been in constant good standing with the forums and moderation team

Consistently serves as an example when it comes to content, topics, and spirited debate.

Please note that this is a volunteer, thankless job.  In order to do this you must simply have a love for the park and this community.  It comes with no benefits inside or outside of the park - you simply get the satisfaction of knowing that you are an important part of KIC and make a lot of people happy.

Is this you?  Is this someone you want to nominate?  In the thread below, tell us why you would be the best option for a new moderator and within the next few weeks we will select one to join our team.

Thanks!

• Like 23

If he'd be interested, I'd like to nominate malem.

Very level-headed, active enough, and doesn't spar with people around here (not publicly, anyway.) I don't mean this as a jab at the current moderation/admin team: the guy has been a de facto event organizer/face for KIC for some time now. I think he's proven that he can handle these things well.

He seems like a pretty natural fit to me.

• Like 24

Definitely agree with TombRaiderFTW that 'malem' would be a great candidate, if he so desired.

I am also interested, as I spend enough time on this site to know the ins, outs, ups, downs, and definitely wrongs from rights.

I would be honored to be able to help out a site that I spend so much time on and have become so closely tied into for daily updates and conversations.

As well as the fact that it would be great to help continue to keep this site in good standings as it is now!

• Like 14

I nominate malem as well.(if he is interested of course!) He is very level headed, fair, knows the ins and outs of this forum, keeps most things VERY cordial even in difficult topics, debates, etc, very involved with the KIC Community as a whole as he plans a lot of the meet ups, Holiday Party, etc. I think he would be a good guy to help moderate these forums. :)

I personally would like to thank every moderator inactive or active for helping this website be how it is today. Despite the less moderation than usual in recent months you guys recently have really upped your game and I believe some new moderators will help this site with "Self-moderation, but moderators come in when there is a problem" that is/has been policy but not as enforceable as once was due to circumstances of some of the mods who are busy with other things. 

• Like 16

I think all of us have forgiven you for that TB. Everyone makes mistakes, nobody is perfect. The KIC Community is great because of your hilarious and wacky photoshops. Still chuckling at that "Don Statue"..... to this day! And the Baby Mystic Timbers, its all great! :)

I am probably too young and too ill equipped to be moderator in my opinion but if nominated I would gladly help out.

• Like 9

While I've been with the forums for about Four years and counting as of the time of writing this, I would say I've been kind of up and down with a good standing. I have been working to improve this quality of mine that I have, trying to even it out, give myself a good standing with the forum and the community, as well as the park. As well as when it comes to serving an example for Content, and topics (As I do not get into many debates unless they deal with the park.) I attempt to do my best to do so. 

Obviously I have had issues in the past with not agreeing with the TOS, I have come to learn the TOS and accepted it as apart of the way of life on this forum. I manage to come on often, despite a busy schedule. Attempting to help out the community, specific members, as well as helping out issues that have been occurring. (I have not done this much, but I do attempt when the moment becomes right.)

I am volunteering myself for the position, knowing that the job will have no real qualifications (that pertain to the real world) other than being an example for the Kings Island park, as well as the KIC site. 

Thanks!
-CoasterOhio

I also volunteer malem to be apart of the team.

• Like 5

I'd be up for volunteering if needed. I've been here for quite some time and have seen a lot....new coasters, new rides, a waterpark expansion, the transition from Nickels to Ouimet, the fall of the Son, and the return of Winterfest to name a few. During the most recent "Decoding" thread, I saw quite a bit in the way of TOS violations, fighting, and hostility towards one another. On numerous occasions I've had to point out the TOS to several posters. This isn't the KIC that I joined in 2008. I'd like to see it go back to what it was in the past.* I've formed many lifelong friendships, thanks to KIC. I'd like to see that the site is around for years to come, with a long standing relationship with the park. Thank you Dane, Ronny, Ryan, and gang for providing a forum for our favorite park!

*When I say this the phrase "U Mad Bro?" doesn't come to mind.

:D

• Like 8

Wow, thanks for all the kind words!

This community has come to mean a lot to me over the years. It's been a roller coaster ride at times, but I've loved getting to know other huge fans of the park & being a part of one of the more civilized coaster communities out there.

With respect to the moderator position, I'm humbled to be nominated by so many. As I've communicated privately over the past few months, I'm definitely interested in playing more of a leadership role here, whether that's with permissions or not.

One of my favorite things about this site is that we embrace free expression. People have different thoughts, opinions & beliefs - and we respect each other all the same. To this end, our tradition of largely self-moderation has mostly served us well over the years. Nevertheless, moderator action is sometimes needed to correct a small problem before it becomes a big problem, so I'm very glad that we're aiming to become more consistent in this regard.

I've always had something of a passion for helping people & getting online communities to work together, and I've worked professionally in customer support and with managing open source volunteer contributors. If the KIC community and staff would like me to help with moderating, I'd be willing to discuss such a role.

I'd also like to second nominations for TheBEASTunchained, silver2005 (if he has time), Hoeter, and Oldiesmann - all of whom I know and would trust to do a good job.

• Like 26

I don't know what all is entailed in a moderating role, so this may be out of the scope of what you're looking for entirely, but I should add that in addition to everything that's already been said, malem has technical knowledge that could be useful in helping to run this site as well. Just as a recent example (and I hope he won't mind my sharing this), we were recently discussing the idea of capturing stills from the Mystic Timbers webcam similar to what I had set up for Banshee a few years ago, and the script that he had written and showed to me was far more robust than what I had thrown together when I did the Banshee captures. I don't know if the role of moderator would allow for any influence on the technical side of things, but he certainly has those skills too. For that reason as well as what's already been said, I think malem would be a good choice.

I have also met Hoeter and Oldiesmann a few times and can vouch for both of them, at least as far as a character reference. I can't vouch for whether or not they have previous experience in moderating forums or any similar thing, but they are both people of great character who I think would do well in such a position.

Now, to bring up someone else. Given that he's already posted in this thread and not nominated himself, he probably isn't interested in the job, but let me give a recommendation of TombRaiderFTW. We've never met in person (that I'm aware of) but he has always been someone whose posts I enjoy reading and who seems to always have something productive to contribute to the conversation. He's one of the members who I remember as being very active when I joined the site back in 2010, and there are depressingly few active posters left who I remember from that time.

• Like 11

There are some... okay, there is one on here who I'd nominate in a heartbeat, but the sheer, troll-bending power of his amazingly smart (often wise) responses creates an almost intrinsic "force field" around KIC, which seems to send ne'er-do-wells whimpering off into Internet oblivion with their proverbial tails between their legs! I speak of His Terpness, whom I honorarily nominate, with much respect!

• Like 11

If you make me the new moderator, I promise that I will build a fire wall big enough to keep the Six Flags fans out.  We all know that they come to Cedar Fair parks illegally, and the only reason they come is because of the well maintained rides, not to mention to get away from that weird bald guy.   

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

^^ Ha! :lol: I'd vote for you. Good one.

Now, to bring up someone else. Given that he's already posted in this thread and not nominated himself, he probably isn't interested in the job, but let me give a recommendation of TombRaiderFTW. We've never met in person (that I'm aware of) but he has always been someone whose posts I enjoy reading and who seems to always have something productive to contribute to the conversation. He's one of the members who I remember as being very active when I joined the site back in 2010, and there are depressingly few active posters left who I remember from that time.

Wow, thank you for the kind words! I enjoy your posts, too.

However, I have to politely turn down the nomination, for three reasons:

1. I think I impulsively post too much to be a good representative of the mod team. I have stopped myself in the middle of typing posts on here a surprisingly large number of times. Sometimes, less-than-wise posts get through.

2. I don't make a good policeman. It's hard for me to make those kinds of judgement calls. I've moderated elsewhere before, and I don't think I did particularly well.

3. I don't particularly enjoy moderating, so making me one would be the quickest way to get me to stop posting. It wouldn't be out of spite--it'd be out of avoiding the responsibilities. (Then again, depending on Boddah's opinion of me, maybe that would be a reason for them to make me a mod...? ;) )

So yeah, I don't think I'd be a great fit. (In fact, I think you would do pretty well at the mod position yourself!) But thanks for the compliment!

• Like 7

If you make me the new moderator, I promise that I will build a fire wall big enough to keep the Six Flags fans out.  We all know that they come to Cedar Fair parks illegally, and the only reason they come is because of the well maintained rides, not to mention to get away from that weird bald guy.   

Don't forget, you're going to make Six Flags pay for it!

In all seriousness, another +1 for malem.  He does a good job at reading/covering all the threads, not necessarily the ones that are just interesting to him.  As a moderator, you want somebody who views the whole site, not just a fraction of it.

• Like 11

Whoever is chosen, I hope you have an amazing journey doing what Dane, Ryan, and past mod members Bill, Ronny, and I did to create the best park forum on the Net! It is an amazing experience and so much more than just 'Moderating' a forum.

This is worth quoting, because these guys really have created something marvelous here. This is why I'm confident that whoever is given the privilege will have been chosen with great care and consideration. KIC is the ONLY site I've stayed with for almost 12 years, and there have been many other sites that simply fell apart, disappeared, or simply became too unappealing. This is a gem, and it seems to have great momentum to continue to be so.

• Like 10

1. I think I impulsively post too much to be a good representative of the mod team. I have stopped myself in the middle of typing posts on here a surprisingly large number of times. Sometimes, less-than-wise posts get through.

I think we've all stopped ourselves from posting things, and pretty much everyone has let something less-than-wise slip through. The edit button's there for a reason. :)

Moderating may not be something you're interested in or would enjoy, but (for what it's worth) I do think you'd do a great job. You being hard on yourself makes me think so even more.

• Like 7

I would like to nominate myself, I've been with the forum for only about 2 and a half years, its got to be the best forum about a park i've seen, I think what qualifies me is i'm on all the time, at least once every few hours, the only benefit i need is the satisfaction of myself knowing i have the opportunity to work with an amazing forum. I hate trolls so if i see them they are gone, but you will have to explain how to mod the forum properly (3 strike warnings or any of that for example) anyway can't wait to see who the new mod is! 

• Like 2

Love the foresight in needing some additional help with the forums, especially with the growth the site has seen lately.  There have been some great nominations and volunteers so far.

Allow me to add one more, myself.  I would be more than honored to help guide KIC and its forums, one of the most knowledgeable and friendly communities around.  I have been a member of KIC, PKIC and other prior versions for over 11 years.  I have been a long standing member who has stayed in good standing, provided lots of content, and participated in numerous events and forum games (KIC Survivor etc.)  I also really enjoy the color red.  I remember the days when the forums were much smaller and more closely knit, but the growth has been amazing and I think with some additional focus the community can become like family again.  

So happy to see so many volunteers willing to step up and make KIC the best it can be.  

• Like 13

I would be happy to help out in any way possible as I have in the past. I am able to check on things as I am on a computer most of the day with KIC up most of the time. I have been very involved with KIC for many years helping with our community as much as possible. I try to be involved with as many KIC meetups and get to know as many people as possible from the site. I try very hard to contribute positively in the KIC community.

• Like 11

• Dane locked this topic