Golden Ticket Awards 2016

^^ Those "of the year" awards are marked "Publisher's Choice" in the publication, so they're not trying to hide that fact.

They aren't new, though; they've previously used it to recognize other parks/companies that get snubbed by voters.

Perhaps an interesting result of Cedar Point focusing investments in the past decade on "spectacular", crowd-pleasing coasters & resort improvements that might not garner as many votes from coaster enthusiasts.

• Like 1

^^ I'm not sure if its because it was a new experience to my wife and I or not but we thought Intimidator was a slightly more fun experience than Diamondback. Again it might have been because it was a new experience for us but we both thought the same thing. DB to us loses steam after the trim brakes after the hammerhead turn where Intimidator is solid until just before the final helix.

Edit: Every ride is unique because people experience them different ways. They was and probably still is a rather large contingent that like Intimidator over Fury 325 in the Carolina area. IMO its absurd to even put those two rides in the same category but that's why roller coasters are so much fun. They deliver unique experiences to each individual that rides them.

• Like 1

^^ Those "of the year" awards are marked "Publisher's Choice" in the publication, so they're not trying to hide that fact.

They aren't new, though; they've previously used it to recognize other parks/companies that get snubbed by voters.

Perhaps an interesting result of Cedar Point focusing investments in the past decade on "spectacular", crowd-pleasing coasters & resort improvements that might not garner as many votes from coaster enthusiasts.

I didn't say they were trying to hide it.  I said they made one up for them.  It was a participation award.  Just think - the king of Golden Tickets didn't even get a single one. As I've expressed in the past, I don't put much stock in these awards, but it does show that adding coaster after coaster that you don't need doesn't improve your park at all.  

Just out of curiosity, is there any similar type of poll/awards that's more accurate to what guests want and are clamoring for more of or are all these type of things rigged in some way based off the green stuff?  Its kind of disheartening to not have something more 'honest' (for lack of a better word) available to see what's really going on. 

• Like 2

Back in the day, Paramount Parks had an online feedback system that guests could fill out their thoughts on the park (I forget the exact URL that they used, but it was something like parkfeedback).  Parks use surveys and their own analytics to track what guests are doing and spending their money on.  Why do you think that they offer a discount on food with your Gold or Platinum pass?  They likely are using that to track how much you spend when you visit so that they know how to allocate everything from staffing to capital dollars.

• Like 3

I was disappointed to see that Great Adventure's Holiday In The Park didn't even make it in the top 5 for Best Christmas Event. 7 coasters running in a cold weather region as well as flat rides, an amazing fiber optic Christmas tree show, the park covered in lights and some good traditional shows. It really exceeded my expectations but I guess the voters didn't feel that way.

• Like 2