New Kentucky Theme Park?

At the old Guntown Mountain:

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/news/new-guntown-mountain-owners-have-big-plans/article_a011b532-4237-11e6-a787-cb38f4fb3549.html

I'm sure Beech Bend and Kentucky Kingdom will be thrilled!

Looking at the business 'plan' and article, I'm floored.

This can go one of two ways....

Ghost Town Village(In The Sky)

Or

Wet 'n Wild Emerald Pointe(Water Country North Carolina, Aqua Gardens, Emerald Pointe)

Emerald Pointe has had a wooden coaster(never installed), a water coaster, a Halloween Haunt maze, batting cages, Skycoaster, Ziplines and more that have been removed. It really was more like a FFC when it opened in the 80s than a water park.

• Like 2

Not because they want things,  but because they want to start a business and are in the process of doing it,  which would make their lives better and other's. 

They are working with a development firm already and from what Mr. Froggett said  "have already bought 26 acres, the actual Guntown Mountain site, and our partners and their investors have secured all the other properties around the mountain,” David Froggett said. “They are getting that together to … develop it into all these things we have on our list of hopefuls, I guess you would say.”The Froggetts are hoping to have some type of event on the site this fall.

It looks like they are beyond the wanting stage to me..

A lot of people want things like you said, that doesn't make it right.

• Like 2

I read the article, and while I wish them the best, it does absolutely nothing for me.  I tolerate water parks when Im with people who like them (Notable exception being Wildebeest and Mammoth as I could ride those all day if shorter lines allowed), and every single other thing on the list is something I prefer to do with few to no other people around.  Rock climbing and ATV riding?  Yes.  Rock climbing and ATV riding with a hundred other people on the same rock or trail/track?  Ummmm, NO!

• Like 5

It'll be interesting to see how well this works if they actually manage to open the park. The problem is that Cave City is kind of in the middle of nowhere. The nearest big cities are Elizabethtown and Bowling Green, each of which is about 40 miles away. The trick will be convincing people to drive from one of those towns to go there rather than Kentucky Kingdom (close to Elizabethtown) or Beech Bend (in Bowling Green). That area seems to rely mostly on tourists, particularly those visiting Mammoth Cave, and I'm not sure how well an amusement park can do in that area on tourist dollars alone, especially with all the other "tourist trap" places in the region (lots of private caves, a dinosaur park, etc.).

• Like 1

The development company has zero experience in the amusement industry and the owners also have zero experience (but also had no experience in radio before buying a small station). Running this type of attraction is far far different than programming a small radio station with a listening radius of 20 miles.  It will be interesting to see who their investment partners are.  $50 million seems like a kingly sum to spend on a project like this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to pitch my two cents, location, location, location. If I were to choose a spot in Kentucky to place a new amusement park, I would probably choose Lexington. Bustling city, always have new coming students to UK (Of whom sure are in debt, however one could simply make a student discount.), has a diverse population, and most importantly, land in the outskirts. Now of course, amusement parks have popped up, and went out as history has played out, however I would consider the Lexington-Georgetown distribution more promising than anything else. This would grant some distance to Kings Island, Beech Bend, and Kentucky KIngdom, however engrossing the Kentucky public into a more central location than the latter. Even though investments would be heavy, it would be interesting to see just how much a park could creare in Lexington in profits, especially if there were to be Kentuckian discounts, something that would be a perk for Kentucky visitors.