Almost Ten Years Of Cedar Fair!

kingsislandfan1972

Edit: Can you believe its been 10 years since Cedar Fair bought Kings Island, (as well as other parks.)? What is your favorite addition to Kings Island rides, attractions, food, etch. I believe Cedar Fair has done a great job with Kings Island as well as the other Cedar Fair Parks. Also any future predictions for Cedar Fair parks, including Cedar Point as well.

• Like 2

My predictions

1. More trees and shade

2. Better quality food.

3. Cheaper prices

4. Larger courtesy cups

5. Souviner cup holders installed on all coasters

6. RMC everywhere.

7. A giga in every park

8. Expanded on ride photos

9. Trams in parking lots

10. Courtesy sunscreen and beverages.

11. Appropriate music for each themed area

12. Restrooms in X Base

Nah.

• Like 4

Umm, it isn't "almost" 10 years now. It has been 10 years- Cedar Fair obtained the ownership of the former Paramount parks on June 30th, 2006. It is September 21st, 2016 now so it has been more than 10 years.

As for what could come in the next 10 years? The only guesses I have at the moment are...

-More B&M Coasters will be built since they seem to be Cedar Fair's go-to company right now. Probably a Giga Coaster at Kings Island at some point in the future

-Probably more GCI's too, but depending on if RMC is doing Mean Streak and how that ends up if it does happen, they might get tossed into the mix in which case I could see Cedar Fair adding rides from both to some parks

-More dark rides such as the EA ones and Triotech rides

-If the 2017 Winterfest events (such as the one at KI) go over well, more of them will probably happen at more parks.

-More used flat rides from Europe, Japan, and maybe even the USA since that seems to be working well and can yield some rare old rides you can't get new anymore

-This next one is kinda sad but...more rides will probably be shut down due to age or other issues. It's inevitable.

IMO, first decade of Cedar Fair has been pretty good to the former Paramount parks as they have all gotten major new additions that they NEVER would have gotten under Paramount. (For example, Carowinds never would have gotten Fury 325) Hopefully decade #2 is even better.

• Like 1

Umm, it isn't "almost" 10 years now. It has been 10 years- Cedar Fair obtained the ownership of the former Paramount parks on June 30th, 2006. It is September 21st, 2016 now so it has been more than 10 years.

As for what could come in the next 10 years? The only guesses I have at the moment are...

-More B&M Coasters will be built since they seem to be Cedar Fair's go-to company right now. Probably a Giga Coaster at Kings Island at some point in the future

-Probably more GCI's too, but depending on if RMC is doing Mean Streak and how that ends up if it does happen, they might get tossed into the mix in which case I could see Cedar Fair adding rides from both to some parks

-More dark rides such as the EA ones and Triotech rides

-If the 2017 Winterfest events (such as the one at KI) go over well, more of them will probably happen at more parks.

-More used flat rides from Europe, Japan, and maybe even the USA since that seems to be working well and can yield some rare old rides you can't get new anymore

-This next one is kinda sad but...more rides will probably be shut down due to age or other issues. It's inevitable.

IMO, first decade of Cedar Fair has been pretty good to the former Paramount parks as they have all gotten major new additions that they NEVER would have gotten under Paramount. (For example, Carowinds never would have gotten Fury 325) Hopefully decade #2 is even better.

Yeah that was a mistake for some reason I thought it was the year 2015.

• Like 2

I kinda of feel that Cedar Fair has save the park.  If the last few years Paramount owned Kings Island I really feel like they just didn't care about the parks.  They cheaped out on new rides and the parks just seemed dirty to me.  Cedar Fair has done a great job at adding a mix of new rides (family, thrill and expanding the water park).  They have also brought in the season dinning pass which my family loves.  I can't wait to see what the next 10 years brings.

• Like 2

I think they CF needs to start improving the quality of the guest experience programs they already have such as the meal plans and Fast Lane before they do any more venturing of ideas.  They have a lot of good things in place, they just need to be tinkered a bit.   I also wish they would do more to keep each individual park more unique because, at least with the bigger parks IMO, they seem to be more and more alike, almost too much.  Removing things like the paddle boats at Cedar Point and removing the themed areas at Kings Island just kind of sucked the ambiance from those parks a bit (Kings Dominion being the exception, what they did for their 40th anniversary looks outstanding). 

• Like 3

Carowinds wouldn't have gotten Fury under Kinzel's Cedar Fair either. Ouimet is truly the best thing that has happened to the company.

• Like 2

Carowinds wouldn't have gotten Fury under Kinzel's Cedar Fair either. Ouimet is truly the best thing that has happened to the company.

Actually in Kinzel's biography book, he mentions that Fury was the last major coaster addition from his long term plans for the chain, so Fury was Kinzel's idea, and Ouimet could've shelved it if he wanted to, but he decided to carry it out anyway, which as we know turned out to be a great move for Carowinds.

Also I agree. Ouimet is the best thing to happen to Cedar Fair. He seems to have really turned the chain around since these past few years have been record years for it.

I believe that Firehawk is one of the best additions we have seen by Cedar Fair thus far. A quality ride with a rich history all rooted here in Ohio. Firehawk was Cedar Fair's initial investment in thrills at Kings Island, and was the charter for their commitment to making KI a world leader in entertainment. 

I believe that Firehawk is a pretty impressive coaster but it has too long of a wait for the ride to be worth it, especially when you're at a park like KI where you could easily get on another, arguably better, ride in half the time. Like what fightoffear1996 said, I think it would have made a bigger impact on a smaller park like Michigan's Adventure. 

But then again, I'm probably being too critical. 

• Like 1

Actually in Kinzel's biography book, he mentions that Fury was the last major coaster addition from his long term plans for the chain, so Fury was Kinzel's idea, and Ouimet could've shelved it if he wanted to, but he decided to carry it out anyway, which as we know turned out to be a great move for Carowinds.

Also I agree. Ouimet is the best thing to happen to Cedar Fair. He seems to have really turned the chain around since these past few years have been record years for it.

I'm still curious as to why so many people say that Ouimet turned the company around. What constitutes this statement?

Attendance?

Net income?

Going concern?

In park per capita?

Could we be so sure that any of these would not be where they are (or even better) with someone else?

• Like 1