Knott's Berry Farm closes an attraction

1. What genius made this program?

2. Why did KBF green light this?

VR and AI programs are fields and technology covered and implemented in real psychology and their use can have real psychological effects, especially in this case.  I'm pretty sure a park chain like Cedar Fair has a few people with psych degrees (majors or minors) or have at least taken psych classes to be knowledgeable enough to know this isn't a good idea.  

• Like 1

Psychotic patients on the loose in mental institutions have been the narrative for haunted houses for a very long time, from Universal to Cedar Point.

Haunted houses at these events are literally crafted to prey on sensitivities, fears, discomforts, and outrageous scenarios. Yes, a mental institution does record higher on the public's offense-o-meter and that's probably fair, but there's something inherently offense and uncomfortable about most of the exaggerated, gory, death-filled houses these parks put together. Hospitals haunted by dead patients, Louisiana swamps riddled with voodoo, the elite killing the homeless in The Purge, jungles filled with bloodthirsty natives, old west towns where mystical Native Americans and zombie cowboys battle... Each is, in its own right, hurtful to a community. 

I am shocked that Knott's created the attraction, but NOT because I find it in poor taste or an assault on my sensibilities. (Not that this gives me an extra vote, but as a licensed special education teacher as well as a family member and friend of individuals with disabilities, it doesn't offend me. I couldn't imagine being in Mr. Thomas' shoes.) I'm shocked that they created the attraction because they'd have to be ignorant to have missed the push back those Universal and Cedar Point haunts have earned in the very recent past. 

In any case, it's a slipp'ry slope from here. The last few years, we've seen a handful of attractions, haunted houses, and shows close at Halloween events due to their "controversial" nature. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? I couldn't say... I don't go to the "boo-fests." Never will. Which isn't to say I don't spend hours watching walkthrough videos of the gorgeous environments Universal and Knott's build in their parks. Seriously, they're an entire sub-genre of themed entertainment design that boggles the mind... and they're temporary! Or, they should be... ;)
  • Like 7

I wouldn't say there's no reason for an institution/person to write a letter or even boycott something they don't like. I just find it ridiculous that Cedar Fair and other companies keep giving in.

As bkroz said, haunted houses are meant to play on things that make people feel uncomfortable. I feel sick thinking about what that father had to go through with his son, but that's not a reason to take something at a Halloween horror event and make it personal. I have a mentally disabled cousin living in a home for it and yet the thought of this house doesn't bother me at all. It's fictional, not a documentary.

Unfortunately, with the society we live in today people are destined to complain about everything. However, what would be left of society if everything that was complained about was shut down? These companies need to quit giving in.

• Like 2

After working in a mental health hospital many years ago, I can say that what is probably portrayed in this attraction is probably about as accurate as Urgent Scream is to a real hospital.  It was rather distasteful that the original name contained the CA code for the 72 hour court hold, I can see that as a point for mental health advocates.

• Like 1

I never saw this attraction as a "bad thing" when i saw it, i guess it is offensive to some people but that's no reason for this institution to go after Cedar Fair and write letters for them to close Fear VR. 

Welcome to America. Everything must be perfect and non-offending to everyone, and everything. Even a little ant.