Stealing souvenir cups

kikid74

Has this happened to anyone else? We had 2 of the orange (free refill every visit) souvenir cups all season. This past Sunday was our final visit of the year. Two hours before close, we come back to our stroller from a ride, and one of the cups were missing. It was just sitting a cupholder, just recently filled with Powerade. 

This is our 4th year as KI passholders and have never had anything stolen. Just curious how bad it is for anyone else, and particularly with respect to souvenir cups. Seems like a weird (unsanitary?) thing to steal. 

• Like 1

I had one stolen at the Tower in 2014.  I stopped by Guest Services who gave me enough Snoopy Bux to get a new cup.  Since then, every cup I get is decorated with a Sharpie. 

On a related note:  I plan to buy my 2017 all season cup when I make my March visit to Carowinds.  This year, I bought the voucher last fall and couldn't use it until May when KI was open and I could make my first visit.  I so wish they would have an option to buy an all season drink option with out a cup--I would pay more for this option.

• Like 4

I have had cups stolen from me ever since 2000. It doesn't happen often, once or twice every few years, at varying theme parks. However, when people do steal from me, it usually just so happens to coincide a sickness, so I guess karma comes back to bite them. My #1 pet peeve to stop this? Leave cups in a place to which thieves won't look, sure they could still steal, but it would look VERY suspicious for someone to be rummaging through a stroller, without a child. My sure fire way of securing products are one of two, #1, leave your belongings with a trustworthy friend or family member. It keeps your stuff on person so that people won't be more inclined to steal. #2, put your very expensive belongings into a locker. It keeps cups, phones, etc all safe for you, the best deal being Banshee's lockers. ($2 for 2 hours, then a dollar then after). However, another way to safeguard your product is to mark it up with a  name or something. Make it noticeable to all patrons that this cup is your cup, and if someone were to steal it, someone would be able to see that said cup is missing (if you notify the authorities) and be able to apprehend the foe.

I had one stolen at the Tower in 2014.  I stopped by Guest Services who gave me enough Snoopy Bux to get a new cup.  Since then, every cup I get is decorated with a Sharpie. 

On a related note:  I plan to buy my 2017 all season cup when I make my March visit to Carowinds.  This year, I bought the voucher last fall and couldn't use it until May when KI was open and I could make my first visit.  I so wish they would have an option to buy an all season drink option with out a cup--I would pay more for this option.

Problem is with a Sharpie it doesnt really matter to who the person who stole it. Chances are you will never see them again.  This is very disapointing that this goes on.  I have pictures of the barcode on my just in-case the do get stolen.  

• Like 2

If I do stash my cup in the bushes or somewhere like that I take the lid off and stuff it in a cargo short pocket. Makes the cup less valuable. Another thing you can do is wrap it six or seven times around with duct tape, we do this with water bottles in scouts. Makes it easy to write your name on it, it looks kind of weird and undesirable, and you always have a supply of ever so handy duct tape! A scummy mcscumscum theif would likely go for an easier target like the half a dozen "take me, I'm free" cups I see sitting on top of the lockers frequently.

I have only had one stolen once at a waterpark. Didn't get to bent out of shape about it, becuase buying an extra one every couple of seasons is a lot cheaper than hassling with lockers constantly.

This is why they need to get their stuff together and barcode the drink cups to correlate to someones pass, and for those who dont have a pass, then give them a card/receipt at time of purchase with a bar code matching the one on the cup.  If a cup is brought to be refilled with a non-matching barcode or no barcode at all, no refill.  Lose the receipt, sorry, Charlie, no refill.  They arent that hard to keep track of if placed in a wallet.

• Like 3

If I do stash my cup in the bushes or somewhere like that I take the lid off and stuff it in a cargo short pocket. Makes the cup less valuable. Another thing you can do is wrap it six or seven times around with duct tape, we do this with water bottles in scouts. Makes it easy to write your name on it, it looks kind of weird and undesirable, and you always have a supply of ever so handy duct tape! A scummy mcscumscum theif would likely go for an easier target like the half a dozen "take me, I'm free" cups I see sitting on top of the lockers frequently.

I have only had one stolen once at a waterpark. Didn't get to bent out of shape about it, becuase buying an extra one every couple of seasons is a lot cheaper than hassling with lockers constantly.

I've done this at Carowinds this past year and that was the last time I've seen my cup since, though i won't blame the park or anyone but myself there, as i rode Fury 10 times in a row before returning to see my cup gone and i didn't want to pay the price for a locker, that being said it would be amazing if they copied Universal a bit and had free lockers! 

Actually, it would be even nicer to have them entirely on your pass and not even have a cup. Flash your pass get a paper cup, fill, enjoy, and then simply throw away.

Yes. That's what i think would work best. No loose articles... hey buy this loose article!

Only thing is the price for free refills would probably go up because you get a new cup every time you get a drink, despite not having to make the souviner cups...

Though many people enjoy the shareability that the bottle gives.

Beginning of the season, I think it was a free for all of theft of the all season cups being stolen all the time. News stories about the thefts at Kings Island and at other Cedar Fair parks also. People have suggested tying them to the season pass but that will not work well especially if you have multiple cups in a family and kid grabs the wrong cup and he cannot have any refills since it was tied to someone else's season pass. (Just like a dining plan) Taking a picture of the barcode is smart so if stolen then the park can deactivate the cup.

I've heard the cup is going to be red next year with Mystic Timbers/Winterfest , any one else heard this rumor ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Should we start a "What color is the cup going to be?" decoding thread. /s

I think the best solution would be to sell the cups for slightly above cost and have the refill pass tied to your physical pass to decouple the value from the cup. If the cup gets stolen you are only out $5 or so.

Of course this solution does not ehnahnce park revenue with locker rentals and $30 cups.

• Like 2

Write down the bar code number.  I believe guest relations may be able to deactivate it if it is stolen, at least preventing those who stole it form using it.

On a side note I had my Six Flags Season long drink cup stolen from Magic Mountain last month.  Six Flags does not use bar codes like Cedar Fair does.

• Like 1

I've made this comment before... But each cup should have a unique barcode which would be linked to your pass holder account. You wouldn't need to have your pass with you to refill... But if your cup was stolen you could go to guest services, they could look it up and deactivate it. Then you could buy a new cup for a nominal fee (i.e. the cost of the cup). Even better, when the Thief tries to use the deactivated cup alarms would go off and public shaming would commence.

• Like 1

Activating, deactivating, alarms, shaming, individual bar codes. Expensive, time consuming, labor intensive, CF IT Dept. not up to the task of getting it right. (Terp can speak to that) :)

KISS Keep it Simple Stupid. The Season Dinning Plan works (mostly). Just add the free refill option (just like FunPix is now) and let everyone fill up whatever they hell they want with their SP or Daily Wristband. Souviner cup, Nalgene bottle, paper cup, silicone cup, brassiere, manssiere, baseball cap whatever. Problem solved.

Problem is decreased locker sales and no repeat purchases = less revenue = not going to happen.

I am NOT saying in any way CF has or would ever do this but if they followed the 19th Rule of Aquisition they would hire people to steal cups.

• Like 2

If you are leaving your stuff out in the open while riding a ride, anything from that stroller could've been stolen. Kings Island is not responsible for personal belongings, especially if you leave them out in the open. If you don't want stuff stolen, get a locker.

Souvenir cups are going to become a hot item to steal now that they're season-long. Be careful. Be smart.

• Like 1

In terms of the theft problem, I think this issue is mostly related to strollers.  Planet Snoopy always has tons of strollers, many of which are left unattended for periods of time.  Many of those strollers now have bright orange cups sitting on them.  They are easy to spot, and easy to take.  A locker doesn't always make sense in this case, since people are not going to be putting a stroller into a locker.  The best advice might be to make sure to completely cover the cup(s) with something, but the risk is still there.

As for those who are riding lots of rides, the cost of lockers and/or preferred parking is one that you have to factor into the total cost of the cup.  For me, it greatly reduces the savings of buying the cup, not to mention having to lug it around.  

• Like 1

I actually usually fill my cup with water.  I can't drink pop hardly any more.  Every once in a while I might get an urge to drink a Mountain Dew.  Anyway the hole bar code thing may not even work since they dont scan them 3/4 of the time at the restraunts.  At least in my experience.  I think the best way is to put it on the season pass.  Scan the pass; get a paper cup, get your drink.

• Like 4

A cup costs around 5 cents. So if you drink 100 drinks that's about 5$ for the whole season. Let's double the price just in case. So it's now $35 or so dollars?

Costco has 20 ounce cups at 5cents each of you get a pack of 600

$5 dollars for the whole season is probably more than what they pay for the reusable cup. Plus the park would probably have to pay more for garbage removal.