Kings Island Locker Tips

BB1

Every time I go to Kings Island, I always get asked from my friends "Where should I put my stuff? Which locker is the best deal?" I know that I couldn't be the only one getting these questions, also, people even on this forum could have the same questions. So, I thought that I would take this time to share some of my Locker experiences to help you guys.

So before I start, let me run down which attractions need a locker:

• Banshee
  • Firehawk

Now, the rest of the attractions have boxes for you to put stuff in, but I would suggest to use a locker instead.

So, let's say that you go to Kings Island, you have a bag filled with expensive camera/phone/computer equipment and you don't want to loose it, where should you set it? If you are looking for a cheap rate, I would suggest to go to the Banshee lockers located infront of Banshee. You have to buy 2 hours at first for $2, however every hour after is $1. So, you could essentially get 5 hours worth of ride time for Banshee, or going and riding other attractions without your belongings for $5.00 . If you are looking to charge while riding rides, you could go to the Soak City lockers, located next to the smoking area. Now I do not know the price but I do know that I usually bring my portable battery pack so that I can keep a charge. Feel free to post your own tips, as I know that everyone has different methods of getting lockers at Kings Island.

My locker is also known as the trunk of my car. I don't bring in anything that does not fit in my zippered pockets, unless I am not intending to ride rides at that time. For example, if I were to bring my camera bag with me to the park, it would stay in my trunk until I'm ready to completely switch from strictly riding mode to strictly photography mode. LIkewise, if I'm going to the waterpark, my swim stuff stays in my trunk when I'm not actually in, or on my way to/from, the waterpark.

Speaking of which, arrive early and park as close to the Soak City gate as you can. Not only do you gain the benefit of shorter lines early in the day (the masses don't migrate to the waterpark until early to mid-afternoon), but you can use your car as a free giant locker rather than paying $15 for a small locker that's less secure (due to the risk of someone spying on you as you enter your passcode). All you really need to bring into the waterpark is your swimsuit and a spare car key; leave everything else in the car. You can go back out for your money/credit card later when it's meal time. Men can take the spare key and thread it onto the drawstring of your trunks before tying it; women will have a tougher time, but might be able to find a place on their swimsuit to thread it on (or give it to a male friend, if you have one with you and trust him with it).

If your key is one of those that has the lock/unlock/trunk/etc. buttons built directly into it, rather than on a separate fob, buy a cheap "beach safe" plastic waterproof container ($5 to $8, depending on where you get it; I get mine at Dick's Sporting Goods, but they are also available at the gift shops in Soak City) and stick it in there. That can then go into the side pocket of a man's swim trunks, attached to the loop inside the pocket with a small carabiner. Women, though, may have to hold it in their hand on a slide, but should be able to wear it around their neck the rest of the time.

All this locker and cup talk has me pondering the design of a secure backpack that one could secure to any iron fence or post in the park with a bicycle cable and padlock.

...and thereby cause the area to be evacuated and the police and bomb squad called. Sadly, that is a likely result of leaving a bag unattended like that in today's world. :(

• Like 2

It would also be much more obvious to everyone, defeating the purpose of such a horrible act. To the untrained eye, an ordinary backpack looks much more innocent. Need I point out that the Boston Marathon bombers a few years ago used backpacks to hide the bombs? Those were unfortunately quite effective.

Do you go with anyone else? If you are going with a group of people and one of them is not riding something you are you could have them hold on to it for you. Atleast, that's what I usually do. Much better than lockers. And as jcgoble3 said, don't bring a backpack as you may look like a threat.

• Like 1

Man, oh man... if they had biometrics ala Universal, and that they were networked so they were available on around the park throughout the day - then I might buy the all-day locker deal.

Oh, and not to pick nits, but I'm pretty sure the Boston Marathon used pressure cooker IEDs. Backpacks would surely be noticed if locked to a fence, and probably result in a Worst Day Ever.