The Question of Rivertown

SonofBaconator

Agreed. There is actually a bit of room to expand in Rivertown if you go back behind the Crypt building. I would just extend the path you take to Beast/Slaughterhouse back further. Think a flat ride section would be great back there and could really expand stuff. Maybe some actually shops or faux building fronts to give it more theme and more of that town feel would be nice too.

Also the old Crpyt building is an obvious spot for expansion too. Either torn down for something new or the building used to house a new dark ride or roller coaster. I would just re-theme it to a mine instead of a tomb though to fit the area/theme of Rivertown more.

• Like 3

If only we had Ouimet at the time of the TR license drop. Maybe some attempts to retheme to match Rivertown would've happened. Probably wouldn't have saved the ride ultimately I guess.

The theme had nothing to do with the removal of the ride.  It was a maintenance nightmare, suffered frequent breakdowns and the capacity was reduced in order to help with maintenance.  There was nothing saving that ride.

• Like 1

From what I understand, it was a maintenance nightmare because of the nine-flip ride cycle it operated with following the license drop and complete de-theme. Those nine flips were seemingly necessary to make it worth riding without the TR theme to support it.

But had Ouimet been around then, there might have been an attempt to retheme it in a way that it could work without having to run a ride cycle that basically tore the ride apart, and so it might have survived a little longer.

• Like 6

You also may want to note that the offerings of HUSS Giant rides are much slimmer. They don't offer a Giant Top Spin anymore.  Many of you are correct, the ride tore itself up. The ride cycle wasn't really dependent on the theme. It could have ran the same cycle with or without the themeing elements. The cycle could be programmed really to do anything at any point. Paramount set up the TR:TR cycle including the themeing.....once it was turned into the Crypt under Cedar Fair, a row was removed, the themeing elements were changed as was the cycle. 

TR:TR/Crypt in the drive box had 2 control panels. One for the show elements and one for the ride operation.

• Like 2

Let's not forget this path below that is also apart of Rivertown. they can place a few things right there. Also, if they removed the old Crypt building, and added a path right there that could loop back to The Beast, you have another location for rides.

1975646c26d87587db2e00dddafd329a.png
photo via Google Maps

• Like 5

You also may want to note that the offerings of HUSS Giant rides are much slimmer. They don't offer a Giant Top Spin anymore.  Many of you are correct, the ride tore itself up. The ride cycle wasn't really dependent on the theme. It could have ran the same cycle with or without the themeing elements. The cycle could be programmed really to do anything at any point. Paramount set up the TR:TR cycle including the themeing.....once it was turned into the Crypt under Cedar Fair, a row was removed, the themeing elements were changed as was the cycle. 

TR:TR/Crypt in the drive box had 2 control panels. One for the show elements and one for the ride operation.

Not only that, the cycle was changed TWICE. 

For a brief moment it had a "true" top spin cycle akin to what you might see while playing Roller Coaster Tycoon. It was actually a lot of fun and intense. No one cared that you were in an empty box with nothing but flashing lights. 

I remember the day we reopened with the final cycle (the ferris wheel type one). We had everyone in the queue so pumped up, shouting to them on the microphone. That first load of guests got on and as the ride started homing back to position at the end, nothing and I mean nothing, but boo's. So many agitated people as they exited. 

When I first started working at the park, the Tomb Raider crew was always one of the last few to get up to the office at the end of the day due to a long line. By the time it was The Crypt, we usually had the ride spick and span, trash changed, and everything done by 9 PM. Never had much, if anyone, after 8:30 PM. Got to the bar a lot earlier most nights that summer. 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

If only we had Ouimet at the time of the TR license drop. Maybe some attempts to retheme to match Rivertown would've happened. Probably wouldn't have saved the ride ultimately I guess.

The theme had nothing to do with the removal of the ride. It was a maintenance nightmare, suffered frequent breakdowns and the capacity was reduced in order to help with maintenance. There was nothing saving that ride.

It did in a way. Theme changed. Ride cycle changed to "make up" for the lack of a theme.. less rows to "allow" less stress. That cycle tore it up more than usual. It was changed to the ferris wheel.. it then was removed afterwards.

-I wish I could've ridden the 8 cycle crypt though.. bet it was awesome~

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to see some good flats. A top spin, screaming swings, hell a Tilt-a-whirl.  A Paratrooper would be a bonus at this point.  Even a Round-up, aka Haleys Comet.

Flat installation is more rare than coasters at this point. 

The Mrs. would most likely accept a sur charge for a whip. 

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I've said this on another thread but I'd love to see a Pony Express type ride added to the park somewhere in Rivertown. The actual Pony Express ride itself doesn't take up that much space at Knott's and it would give people the sensation of riding a horse. Though this isn't likely, if they could install a coaster like Mystic Timbers in such a tight space I'd like to think they could do anything if done well. 

• Like 3