Theme Park closures for Hurricane Matthew

Many Orlando area theme parks are closing this evening and all day tomorrow due to Hurricane Matthew. This includes Universal, Disney, Sea World, and Legoland.  WDW is also moving guests from their campgrounds and certain other accomodations (like Saratoga Springs Treehouse) are being moved to safer resort rooms. Current projections have wind estimates for Orlando in the 85-130 MPH range! 

The storm is also projected to go back out to sea and could potentially double back for another landfall in Florida next week. 

• Like 3

^ The fear that the rides or entire park would close would likely keep me from making a trip to a park during any tropical system.

If the wind & lightning conditions somehow permitted safe operation, if the park was open, and if I was already there, I'd go. Riding coasters during a torrential rain sounds like fun.

• Like 3

I tried to do a waterpark (Wet 'n Wild Orlando) during Tropical Storm Isaac back in 2012. It didn't work out because they closed after one hour for low attendance (even though we were just getting rain, no thunder or lightning or wind). I then did BGT (which was hit much harder) the next day after Isaac passed, and the park was dead after being closed for the storm the previous day (the day I attempted the waterpark).

So doing a park during the storm isn't a good idea. Doing one immediately after the storm, however, can be awesome.

• Like 1