Big Dipper ( Geauga Lake ) to get the Axe.

And, as has been said numerous times here by individual(s) quite knowledgeable in the facts of ride relocation/recreation, it CAN not and WILL not be the same ride, no matter where it would be installed in the US.  If that ride were built in any US park today, in compliance with current safety regulations, it would be as much the Big Dipper as Banshee is.  The things that made that ride good, buzz bars being one of them, would not exist on any recreation.  Had DK not been a jerk (My opinion, no one will ever change it so dont try), that ride could/would have been relocated in its existing form someplace like Valleyfair as Terp mentioned, or WoF where I wanted it.  As much as I Love the history of the ride, and wish the non-Dick move would have been made back when it could have, the unfortunate reality is that its better off being dismantled at this point.

Personally, I'm enjoying the post Kinzel era. Still installing great coasters, but also there is a better focus on family installations as well.

• Like 5

Here are a few pictures posted from Geauga Lake on Facebook (not affiliated with the actual Geauga Lake)

14642179_1084125548353006_12977150620538

Drone Footage from above...the station is still standing. 

14732166_1084040301694864_25426652567906

14702236_1084040121694882_25365611945073

I believe the Lift Hill was to the left of the picture.

14690967_1511678385525463_79129461385162

14606335_1511678468858788_74707071570264

From Tim Williams on a Facebook Group called geauga lake's funtimes https://www.facebook.com/groups/328339562737/?ref=br_tf&qsefr=1

• Like 7

@KIBeast.... I agree with you, and while Ouimet hasnt done what I was honestly expecting/hoping he was going to do (more Disney influences and employee training/guest relations improvement), words cannot describe how much more I like him than DK.  Of course, they could have made a sweep the new CEO, and I would like him/her more than DK.

On another note, those photos... while incredibly sad to me.... at least provide a finality and closure to the entire sad saga.

• Like 7

@KIBeast.... I agree with you, and while Ouimet hasnt done what I was honestly expecting/hoping he was going to do (more Disney influences and employee training/guest relations improvement), words cannot describe how much more I like him than DK.  Of course, they could have made a sweep the new CEO, and I would like him/her more than DK.

On another note, those photos... while incredibly sad to me.... at least provide a finality and closure to the entire sad saga.

very much agreed, Ouimet was an upgrade to DK. But I feel like his main concern has been shareholders. Always having record breaking attendance and profits, which is great. But yet coasters and rides that require TLC, i.e. Racers / Beast need paint and stain. Diamondback seats needing cleaned or replaced, animitronics needing replaced or repaired on BLSC. Water affects no longer working on The Beast or BLSC. Lights needing replaced all over. Food concession operations needing major overhaul. There are probably much more to add to this list. Granted Cedar Fair is not Disney, and I do not expect Disney like themeing, but at the very least have some pride in the parks.
  • Like 4

very much agreed, Ouimet was an upgrade to DK. But I feel like his main concern has been shareholders. Always having record breaking attendance and profits, which is great. But yet coasters and rides that require TLC, i.e. Racers / Beast need paint and stain. Diamondback seats needing cleaned or replaced, animitronics needing replaced or repaired on BLSC. Water affects no longer working on The Beast or BLSC. Lights needing replaced all over. Food concession operations needing major overhaul. There are probably much more to add to this list. Granted Cedar Fair is not Disney, and I do not expect Disney like themeing, but at the very least have some pride in the parks.

Doesn't some of that fall on the local General Manager though?  ie- light bulbs needing replaced all over the place.  "Holiday" lights from Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular (that hasn't happened in what... 4 seasons)... still wrapped around the trees.  I mean, really, couldn't they have designated a crew of teens to go rip those down a few years ago?

• Like 7