Peanuts or something else?

MaestroJr

Hello forum members, a question I have thought of a lot lately is what will replace Boo Blasters specifically in the same building in a few years. I just want to know if people on here would either like to see a new Peanuts dark ride or something different? I know there have been forums like this before but I just want to know your opinions on the Boo Blasters replacement and not mention the new ride that may be in the Crypt building, just what will replace Boo Blasters, Peanuts or not? MaestroJr

• Like 2

Most definitely a return of Phantom Theater, maybe with some new effects added. The park has kinda-sorta been bringing back defunct things (The Bat, the vine tunnel, the Flying Eagles, and now Winterfest) and I hope the next one in line is Phantom Theater. One thing I would NOT like to see a Triotech ride! If Phantom Theater is brought back, I hope it's without video screens. 

• Like 7

I'd be so happy to go back to Phantom Theater. The blaster bit is fun, but I'd rather have better animations and less distractions. I spend more time trying to shoot the target with a gun that hasn't been sighted in 15 years than looking around. I loved trying to see what details I never noticed on the old ride. Even if it isn't a full revert, but going back to something spooky instead of black light distractions.

• Like 3

In all honesty, I'd be happy with anything that isn't Boo Blasters.  Preferably though, I'd really like a classic dark ride that utilizes animatronic figures instead of cardboard cutouts or video screens.  Of course I'd love to have Phantom Theater back in some form, but I'm just not all that optimistic about that happening.  Although dark rides are a lot cheaper than a coaster, they still represent some sort of investment on the park's part.  They'd have to be REALLY sure that Phantom Theater could/would draw a crowd to the park before they'd think about putting it back it.  A ride like Phantom Theater (or any dark ride that uses animatronic figures) requires a lot of maintenance.  If the park decided to go this route, I'd hope they'd really put the effort into keeping the ride, and all the figures, running properly.  Judging by how well Boo Blasters works, I'm not sure they'd be up to the task. 

My biggest fear though, is that after Boo Blasters, Kings Island will decide that they're done with dark rides in that building and just remove it altogether.  "But what will they do with all that space," you might ask.  Well, that's easy.  They'd just leave it sit empty all season long and use it for a few weeks during Haunt.  I pray that's never the case, but I do have my concerns.  I really hope they uphold the tradition of a dark ride in that space and that we see something really interesting move in over the next 2-3 years.

We can only hope that KI will have pity on Boo Blasters and put the poor thing out of it's misery!

• Like 8

At this point I'd rather see either Boo blasters be converted to a tritotech dark ride or the entire Boo blaster building removed for more flats or a kiddie coaster. The park is horrendous when it comes to maintaining animatronics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If they were to do a "cheap and cheerful" renovation of the ride, as-is, the Peanuts gang seems a natural choice. They would readily lend themselves to the type of two-dimensional cut-out targets that currently make up the ride.

However, of course I would prefer a return to the full animatronics and original-to-KI intellectual property of Phantom Theater. I still think fondly of those characters after all these years. I had gone to Disney World not long before the introduction of Phantom Theater, so when I first saw it, it felt like a bit of Orlando Magic was brought to my little neck of the woods. It felt important. It was very sad to see that promise fade.

• Like 6

EDIT: Never mind. In retrospect, I was beating a dead horse.

I was actually able to read your original post in my e-mail.  It was a great post and very informative.  Even if it was "beating a dead horse," I think there would be some who would've liked to have read it anyway.

• Like 3

I think something along the lines of one of Universal Studios style of dark ride would be cool (transformers, spiderman, etc) or a hybrid ride like Disneys 7 dwarfs mine cart or Universals the Mummy would be pretty sweet, though i am sure they are all to expensive for Cedar Fair it would be nice.  Peanut themed would be cool or even a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown ride??

• Like 2

I deally I would love a return of Phantom Theatre. But barring that I think a Peanuts dark ride would be great. The entrance to the attraction is pretty much inside Planet Snoopy and that building has always had family friendly attractions to some degree. Think Peanuts would be great addition and would hep to really cement the kids area as being the best. Not many, if any, kids areas at regional parks can boast multiple coasters, log flume, and dark ride in additions to all of the other attractions they have. Plus they could do a decent mix of animatronics and props alongside 2-d stuff if done well. The Peanuts characters do lend themselves well to 2-D cutouts. Though would prefer 3-D models and animatronics more. Plus they are simplistic in design so wouldn't have to be super detailed.

As far as Triotech at the park goes I also hope they stay out of that building, but I' be fine with them being added elsewhere in the park, but would like to keep one classic style dark ride with actual scenery and props/animatronics

EDIT: Never mind. In retrospect, I was beating a dead horse.

I was actually able to read your original post in my e-mail. It was a great post and very informative. Even if it was "beating a dead horse," I think there would be some who would've liked to have read it anyway.

Thanks, but it did involve me making a big deal out of a point that's been contested here before. I didn't want to be a troll, so it went away. Thanks, though!

• Like 1

The thing is, most Cedar Fair parks have a BBOBH ride, so that would cost a lot of money. And I can't see CF renovating any BBOBH rides unless they stop becoming popular in the next 5 years. Personally, I think that a Peanuts ride would probably be a better fit for the area. And Don Helbig has said that nothing will probably happen to the crypt anytime soon.

If the day does come when they need to change the Boo Blasters on Boo Hill theme, it may come as either a Peanuts themed Enchanted Voyage like ride, or maybe, the least likely possibility though, a reboot of the Phantom Theater.

Did Hanna Barbera own the theme music to the Enchanted Voyage, like the tune/melody? I've always wondered if they did or not.

Bring the boats back and give the theming to Peanuts. It would be perfect to the current theming. Get rid of the clown maze. You could do the different seasonal Peanuts specials. Would be awesome. Or just do a Great Pumpkin dark ride. I'd be beside myself.

I couldn't imagine a bigger treat than Vince Guaraldi's Great Pumpkin soundtrack while riding through a Great Pumpkin dark ride. I'd die. I love them both so much.

• Like 5

I'd be so happy to go back to Phantom Theater. The blaster bit is fun, but I'd rather have better animations and less distractions. I spend more time trying to shoot the target with a gun that hasn't been sighted in 15 years than looking around. I loved trying to see what details I never noticed on the old ride. Even if it isn't a full revert, but going back to something spooky instead of black light distractions.

You do know that you can ride without picking up the gun, right? ;)

• Like 1

Bring the boats back and give the theming to Peanuts. It would be perfect to the current theming. Get rid of the clown maze. You could do the different seasonal Peanuts specials. Would be awesome. Or just do a Great Pumpkin dark ride. I'd be beside myself.

I couldn't imagine a bigger treat than Vince Guaraldi's Great Pumpkin soundtrack while riding through a Great Pumpkin dark ride. I'd die. I love them both so much.

Could do something similar to the Smurf's Enchanted Voyage where it went through the different seasons but have one that went through the different holidays and capture iconic scenes from the different Peanuts specials. This would allow them to show Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin as well as Charlie Brown's tree and them standing around it caroling. If had to pick one I'd go with Great Pumpkin as well for a dark ride.

• Like 3

Is Peanuts really that popular?  I like them well enough but I don't see a ton of kids really into them at all.  Even with Disney owning darn near every children license nowadays, I can't see the Snoopy theme lasting more than a few years IMO.

Is Peanuts really that popular?  I like them well enough but I don't see a ton of kids really into them at all.  Even with Disney owning darn near every children license nowadays, I can't see the Snoopy theme lasting more than a few years IMO.

I sorta feel the same way.  I wasn't that thrilled when I heard the kids area was going to be re-themed "Peanuts" back in 2009/10 whenever it was.  Personally, I preferred the Nicktoons.  If I had it my way though, it would have never been changed from Hanna-Barbera.  However, neither of those scenarios are realistic because things change and other things become popular.  But when I heard "Peanuts" were taking their place, I was slightly confused.  I asked myself the same question, "Are kids really into them at all?"  It just seemed like kind of an outdated property.  I understand that Cedar Fair owns the rights to them, so that's why they're used in all of their parks.  That makes perfect sense.  It's cheap for them, and they don't have to go around negotiating licensing deals.  To be honest, I don't really see them going anywhere anytime soon.  Unless Cedar Fair somehow loses the rights to the Peanuts characters, they would have no reason to change the theming.  To me, the Peanuts characters aren't all that exciting.  They're ok, but mostly because I grew up with them and there is a slight bit of nostalgia associated with them.  If not for that though, I wouldn't care about them at all.  However, the kids area isn't for me, so I don't worry about it too much.  I just wonder though, do kids really have that much of an attachment to the actual characters or do they just think the rides are fun?

It's gotta be more about the rides.

When it was Hannah barbera land still.. i may have known some of the characters.. but that's just cause of reruns and though I knew them, I wasnt excited to have a ride themed to that character. It was about the rides. Beastie was fun, and had nothing to do with the area's theme.. if i didnt know the character, I didnt really think about it. I just associated that cartoon with that ride, if i DID know the character, it was just coicidence that I was riding them- THEIR ride.

When I was a kid in the 80's, sure I knew Flintstones and Scooby Doo characters from TV, but Jabberjaw? Winnie Witch? Baba Louie? Mostly knew them only from Kings Island. And I loved them anyway for that. That's why I think it would be wonderful for KI to develop and promote their own characters.

It wasn't until they added the Smurfs that it finally felt like "my generation's" characters were being represented.

Because kids have had such short lives, and new stuff is coming out all the time, it is always going to be hard to nail down the properties they feel represent them. A couple years later, children's things can often feel already dated. Peanuts have at least some recognition among children, going on 50 years now, and that isn't anything to sneeze at.

• Like 5

The building definitely worked better with the Scooby theming, which people of all ages could enjoy. (And with a storyline that made sense to the ride.) The removal of the Scooby gang definitely took my interest out of the ride, and as the years go by, it seems like Boo Blasters is getting worse. Now the guns barely work so most of the time I'm just sitting there.

• Like 3

Boo Blasters is better at other parks as the blasters work much more fluently. I would love a Great Pumpkin ride in the current Boo Blasters building in the next couple of years as I think it could be better with the area, and could still incorporate the blasters and haunted theme in some way. That would be the best fit I think and probably the most likely although I like Boo Blasters fine though. Although Boo Blasters needs lots of maintenance and I think a change of scenery would be nice, but I am fine with Boo Blasters and love riding it in the meantime.