KIC Off Season 2017 Poll Series Week I: 2016 Review

BB1

Okay could i first start off with, where did the year go? It feels like just yesterday I came back to Kings Island, rode The Beast again, and now last night's final Beast ride took me out of the season yet again. However, this year was probably one of the better years at Kings Island. We have a solid coaster line up, we actually got a waterpark expansion that I thought was the best expansion in awhile, we had some moderately great food this year, I really can't complain. Kings Island showed the pass holders some of the benefits of having a Gold/Platinum Pass with their ERT nights and a monthly ERT change up throughout the season. Then, to top it all off, we had the announcement of Mystic Timbers, Winterfest, a rumored new restaurant for the waterpark, which of course led to Haunt with our new Field of Screams attraction. I don't know about you but this just screams success in my book. I had fun, my family had fun, my friends had fun, it was a great year. Sadly however all great years must come to a close, hence why the Off Season Poll Series exists (It's a way to keep us out of the doldrums and for me to count down until the end of the off season.) . But to start us off this year, let's reflect on last year and share some of your thoughts about the 2016 season, some of your perks, some of the detractors of the year, maybe a favorite memory?

• Like 4

I would agree with you. I felt like this year was one of the best in a while, and I really have no complaints/negative moments from this year. I also thought Haunt was busier this year than the last couple of years (which I am glad to see for their business) . I went up a total of 40 times this year, and every single time I enjoyed the visit.

I had four favorite moments that I can think about right now (not in any particular order). The first would be experiencing the body slide on Tropical Plunge for the first time. My heart was beating pretty fast (especially stepping onto the slanted clear floor), because that was it my first time ever doing one of those slides. Afterwards, I was so glad I got to experience it. My second favorite memory would be going to the Mystic Timbers announcement. It was my first time ever going to a major announcement for a park (can't wait for Mystic Timbers). Another favorite moment from this year was going to the Kings Island Central meetup for Haunt. It was really fun meeting new people, riding rides (especially the late night ride on The Beast), and going through mazes. Finally, the last memory I can think of right now would be one that just happen...closing day. I don't know why but closing day seems to be one of the most enjoyable days of the year. I always go with my family as a type of tradition the last couple years, and it is a great way to close the season.

This was a very fun and enjoyable year, and I have a feeling next year is going to be a great year as well.

• Like 1

I visited twice this year (which is normal for me, 3x a year is my current best and that was from 2014) and both visits were pretty good- the first was back in early June during the Banshee Brew Festival (which I didn't partake in since I don't drink beer or wine) and then a few weeks ago for Haunt. I did have a few firsts this year- I got to try Flight of Fear with the MCBR off, which was pretty intense, saw my first show at KI (Blood Drums- it was epic) and ate my first food from a food truck. The only real downsides I noticed to 2016 was the slow food service towards the start of the year (seemed fixed by Haunt though) and the over-doing of the fog during Haunt (though that seems to be the case every year so it's not a 2016 thing). The rides were running great, and the ride crews did a great job usually. 2017 also looks promising since they are adding a new modern wooden coaster (something I have wanted ever since Son of Beast came crashing down) and bringing back Winterfest, something I have yet to try.

In short: I loved 2016 and hope 2017 is even better- which it should be as long as they even match 2016's performance since Mystic Timbers and Winterfest should be pluses.

• Like 1

2016 was an interesting year for me at the park. I worked at the park for a good portion of the season, and got to be a guest quite a few times as well. Recent highlights would have to be doing all of the Haunt mazes in one season (something I've never done before!), going through my first Skeleton Key room (thanks Sam for the invite!) and the fantastic Closing Day that occurred yesterday... from Blood Drums in the rain to my last few rides of the season, it was a great way to end KI's 2016 season! Also, Tropical Plunge was a much needed addition to the waterpark and it makes it feel more complete! :) I'm so much looking forward to riding Mystic Timbers in 2017; the views I've seen so far make it look amazing-and it's not even done yet!

EDIT: I also forgot about attending the announcement for Mystic Timbers; that was pretty cool!

• Like 3

My 2016 season was a hiatus from Kings Island, but I did manage to add 2 new parks that I've visited, Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom.  Before that, I haven't been to many small parks or parks that weren't part of a chain.  I was impressed in one way or another by both, but I'd have to say KK surprised me the most given their situation.  Holiday World lived up to expectations, both the dry park and Splashin' Safari.  The hiatus turned out to be a great decision as I felt a renewed energy when I came back for the Mystic Timbers announcement, plus the Haunt meet up was fun.  

Now armed with a 2017 CF Platinum Pass, I'll definitely be going to KI a bit in 2017 in addition to trips to Sandusky, Muskegon and Pittsburgh for a few parks (CP, MIA and Kennywood).  

• Like 3

I was happy to get to the park, even if It was just for 2 visits. it was definitely still memorable because I got to see the joy on the faces of my kids as they rode and experienced the park for their first visits. A few years ago if you had told me that the only coasters I would ride all year were Great Pumpkin a few times and Banshee one time, I would have thought it was not a good year. But my gosh are those kids' smiles amazing. My year was memorable because my kids' year was memorable.

• Like 4

Best season I have EVER had.....

19 visits to Kings Island this year, my most ever... and fairly good considering I live 30 minutes away and dont have a car of my own! :)

Never would have I thought Kings Island would gift me with such a great season with everybody....

And I finally got to visit Holiday World with Thoe124 and Ohiocolts on June 8th... one of the highlights of my summer!

It was not just the park itself, which was great this year..... it was not just say the announcement day or anyone visit.... though some visits were more memorable than others... it was everything else about it. 

Those memorable visits included October 7th, Closing Day, August 11th, August 16th, July 28th, June 13th, May 21st, May 7th, April 29th Opening Day....

I finally was able to really hangout all day with the great people on this website, which never happened before this year... I got to know some of the fine people on this website... :) and it was great to see what others think of this world. :) I literally think I only went without Ohiocolts at KI only 3 times this year!

The biggest highlight for me was meeting BeastForever on July 28th and spending the whole day with him on August 11th and 3 and a half hours with him on October 7th and 9th. We immediately clicked right at meeting each other, and since then have become such great friends..... never would have I thought I would have a best friend from this website, who also happens to be a rollercoaster enthuiasts, and is somebody who understands and knows who I am and accepts me for all of my flaws.... and we are already planning for next season! While we only were at KI 3 times together and Strickers Grove 1 time, they were all so freaking memorable, Thank you my brother for being  a person that has always been there for me in the little time we have known each other and I am so glad we have a mutual understanding of each other. Thank you for being the best brother from another mother somebody could ask for! :) After 17 years, I finally found a best friend and that alone made my last few months so fantastic despite some bumps in the road. :)

Thats not to diminish everyone else however. :) Jcgoble03, Thoe124, Ohiocolts, Magenta Lizard, IBEW_Sparky, The Interpreter, Malem, MDMC01, Electricsun, IndyGuy4KI, aandjgoods, Beastie1980, Violakat, 2012Jarrett, Dare-To-Fly, JubJester, Thrill_Biscuit, The No Chickens, WailsLikeABanshee.... everybody I met and forgot to mention.... Thank you!

I went from not fitting on Diamodback, Racer to being able to fit on them again by the end of the season! :)

All of this...

My best season ever!!!! :D

Thank you all, Thank you KIC..... 

I CANNOT WAIT FOR 2017!!

• Like 6