Custom Coasters International

Only running for eleven short years from 1991 to 2002, this company pumped 34 wooden coasters out of our own backyard. Individual designers broke off to form new companies that we know today as The Gravity Group, GCI, and S&S as a result of bankruptcy. CCI left behind great coasters like Legend, Raven, Boulder Dash, Ghostrider, and many others. Do you miss Custom Coasters International?

• Like 3

It was always rumored that Charlie Dinn... of which CCI was born (Dinn Corp became CCI when he retired)... had an original "Bat" car in storage at the facility.  I never got proof, but it was urban legend.  I remember driving by the old CCI headquarters wanting to walk in and see if the rumor was true... never had the guts though.  LOL

• Like 5

Love Cornball Express at Indiana Beach. Hoosier Hurricane really needs some track work. It would be a great ride again if they got that done.

I will agree that Hoosier Hurricane is in desperate need of retracking. Went in July and it was one of the roughest woodies I've ridden.

If I remember correctly, HH does not have 3 row cars like The Beast and Racer. Every seat is a wheel seat ride.

Did not get a chance to ride the other 2 CCI coasters at that park, Cornball Express and Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain.

Hope to make it back at some point to get those credits and re-rides on Steel Hawg, Tig'rr, and Hoosier Hurricane.

• Like 2

Love Cornball Express at Indiana Beach. Hoosier Hurricane really needs some track work. It would be a great ride again if they got that done.

I will agree that Hoosier Hurricane is in desperate need of retracking. Went in July and it was one of the roughest woodies I've ridden.

If I remember correctly, HH does not have 3 row cars like The Beast and Racer. Every seat is a wheel seat ride.

Did not get a chance to ride the other 2 CCI coasters at that park, Cornball Express and Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain.

Hope to make it back at some point to get those credits and re-rides on Steel Hawg, Tig'rr, and Hoosier Hurricane.

Correct, HH and Corbnball are both 2 row PTC's, but with buzz bars!

• Like 2

Hoosier Hurricane was my very first "large" roller coaster back in 1999- I remember riding it with my dad and loving it so much I rode it like 3 times in a row because there was also no wait. Hearing it has potentially become rough saddens me.

I have also been on Raven & Legend at Holiday World, much more recently (in 2010, 2011, and 2013) and I loved both of those- Legend is my current #2 roller coaster behind Beast, and Raven is #6 on my overall list. Granted I haven't even broken 20 coasters yet (having only been to KI, HW, and IB and IB was in '99) so there is still plenty of room for those to drop lower- I don't think they will ever fall too low though, I can't see THAT many coasters being better than Raven.

It's also kinda sad that CCI's get rough fairly easily- when I last rode it in 2013, Raven had a few potholes (nothing horrible but they were there), and I already stated I am saddened that Hoosier Hurricane has apparently not aged that well either. Ironically I never had any issues with Legend on any of my rides on it though, and it was the one that ended up getting a GCI overhaul this year. I want to get back and see how that has changed it (as well as ride Thunderbird of course).

To be honest though, at this point, I would say CCI is actually my favorite roller coaster company ATM of the ones I have ridden rides from (with B&M in 2nd place), though as I ride more coasters at more parks that may change (I have yet to ride a GCI, RMC, or Intamin ride yet- need to get on those...).

• Like 2

CCI is my favorite coaster company. I really think the way they designed their roller coasters will never be beat (in terms of fun when they're running well, anyway. Maintenance-wise... Not so much.)

I love how a lot of their banking is usually done during airtime, and banking is used sparingly. The laterals and airtime hit hard and suddenly. There really isn't anyone else from 1990 to now who comes to mind who uses a formula like that but still manages to keep things fresh. Their rides from the mid-90's tend to be their best at that, in my opinion. The 2000 & 2001 rides are still very good, but a lot of them seem to have drawn-out elements and a little less bite than their earlier rides. Granted, I haven't ridden all of them, either... And even then, one of their coasters from 2000 is my favorite wooden coaster (Boss.)

• Like 2

@McSalsa.... the best way I can describe HH in its current state is, I call it a "construction coaster" because it jackhammers at the bottom of the drops like you wouldnt believe.  Im talking Voyage in 2011 type jackhammering.

Yikes...as I said, I have not been on many coasters to date, but Voyage in 2011 is among those that I have, and that so far is the roughest roller coaster ride I have ever taken (I never got to ride infamously rough wooden rides such as Mean Streak or Son of Beast). If Hoosier Hurricane has gotten that bad, I hope it gets some major work done soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...