What are Kings Islands Plans after Mystic Timbers?

louisvillecards1

Given the fact that Banshee was a 24 Million dollar investment, and that Mystic Timbers came 3 (or 4 however you look at it) Years later. I can probably guess that next year might be a relaxed season for KI There probably won't be much for 2018. As for 2019, there might be a new flat ride or two. Maybe an update to the snoopy area, especially rides more towards the Eiffel Tower. 

I don't think we can see our next new roller coaster until 2021. or 2022. (The 50th anniversary)

• Like 3

I am crossing my fingers for a new dark ride. I think it would also make sense to redo Boo Blasters with Triotrch. Something Peanuts related. Then for Halloween you could overlay it with the great pumpkin and then for Winterfest it could be changed for that season as well

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

It seems like I have heard about a possible upgrade to International Street in the coming years. There has been talk about an upgrade to the Royal Fountain with new LED lighting. If you look at the fountains at Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland, they have already been upgraded. When they prepare the fountains for WinterFest next year, the lights and nozzles will have to be removed temporarily in order to accommodate the ice rink. So maybe when they have to put it all back together for the 2018 season, they would install new LED lights and spray patterns.

• Like 9

As far as the International Street Fountain upgrades that has been talked about since Matt Ouimet came into the picture for Cedar Fair. 

I remember talking with Don (I think it was him) about upgrading the fountain and was told we basically have that option but we have to see where to put the capital, would it be better to repave the parking lot, add pavers to ___, etc. or upgrade the fountains that still work well.

• Like 5

I really like the fountain upgrade idea as well.  I was just in Pigeon Forge and went to the Island.  they have a fountain show that runs with lights and music at a regular interval after dark.  I think it would be cool to upgrade the royal fountains to do some type of night time show as well.  They could run it before the fireworks or maybe even sync the fireworks and fountains together in one show.

• Like 3

After MT I could see track work being done on The Racer. The perception will be that it is rougher than before even though the ride experience will be the same. The common rider will be comparing it to MT. Plus, thinking back The Racer is about the only ride that has not had some sort of major work done to it (visually) since CF took over. Even some of the flat rides in CM have gotten painted and LED packages.

• Like 6

I think we could still see some decent additions next year despite getting a coaster this year. You can't really compare it fully to Banshee. That cost them $24m and MT should be a fraction of that. Probably no more than $10, if that much even. And following Banshee we got a family flat and a kids flat added to PS.

I'm really hoping for a couple new flats throughout the park, or around the Eiffel Tower for 2018, or maybe a big one with a revamp to X-Base that sees a food stand and restrooms added to flesh out that area.

Then in 2019 hopefully getting a new dark ride. Still love to see them do something else besides just the Boo Blasters ride so that we have two but an upgrade to it would be appreciated to. I felt a traditional one would be good there but I do like goettablitz idea of being a Triotech screen based one to be able to make updates for the seasons since we will have Winterfest now too. Still think Peanuts dark ride would be best, could be a general theme, then have a Great Pumpkin and Christmas overlays for the holiday as stated. 

Don't see us getting our next coaster until at least 2020, but maybe not until 2021 and think a giga could be the likely addition at that time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see Banshee as being a fair gauge of future plans, since that was almost, at least to me, a way to make up for the SOB fiasco.  Like they finally removed it and, having so much relatively free land post-SOB, they had to get a sure fire, A+ coaster to replace it and make the general public forget about SOB. 

That being said, I'd expect to see a lot of minor improvements to make the casual visitor more happy, and maybe a kids ride or two.  Planet Snoopy is a cash cow for them, and always crazy busy...so why not expand that?

• Like 2

I don't see Banshee as being a fair gauge of future plans, since that was almost, at least to me, a way to make up for the SOB fiasco.  Like they finally removed it and, having so much relatively free land post-SOB, they had to get a sure fire, A+ coaster to replace it and make the general public forget about SOB. 

That being said, I'd expect to see a lot of minor improvements to make the casual visitor more happy, and maybe a kids ride or two.  Planet Snoopy is a cash cow for them, and always crazy busy...so why not expand that?

Was it really the parks intent to make the GP forget about SOB with the big memorial to the ride at the entrance of Banshee.

• Like 8

I personally think that they could use several new attractions that can be enjoyed by multiple generations.  Ie, rides that grandparents can take their small grand children on.  KI used to have more of these types of rides, with the Skyride, and the Antique Cars, but they have slowly disappeared.

• Like 8

Henry Dorley Zoo in Omaha installed one in 2009 though it is bench type.

image_10.jpeg

I an curious, can a skyride still be installed with todays codes and safty standards?

I guess it depends upon the state but I thought there weren't really many codes or safety standards other than what the park owners determine them to be. *Verruckt*
  • Like 6

The problem with Ferris Wheels is that they are not very good with capacity.  Think about it, you are loading one to a handful of cars at a time (see Cedar Point`s Ferris Wheel).  

At Coney, our 12 seat Eli Bridge wheel, can take 7-8 minutes to completely load, if you have very experienced operators.  Throw in the two minute ride cycle time, and you are looking at a ten minute total cycle, for 6 cycles an hour.  You are then looking at an hourly capacity of around 150 people, which is not a lot.  That is three cycles worth of people on Delirium.

• Like 7

A Ferris Wheel is nice to look at especially with an LED package, but I have no problems with KI not having one. Like CoastersRZ stated they are not good with capacity and KI has several good viewing rides. DT, WS, and ET. It is not like I would be upset if KI got one, just not a ride I would frequent often. 

• Like 3

Lots of things I would like to see and there are a lot of great ideas thrown around on this forum. One I haven't seen mentioned is a Mack Twist N Splash. SFSTL installed one in 2014 and it is a lot of fun. Decent capacity at 54 per cycle (6 per boat/cup, 9 cups), no restraints and with the water cannons lined on the perimeter offers fun similar to the WWC cannons for willing bystanders. Those could probably could be made coin op as well to increase per caps. wink wink). You get wet but it is not a drenching soak like WWC and the slow spinning nature of it makes it difficult to gang up on any one person. I wouldn't imagine it is all that expensive either.

• Like 2