What are Kings Islands Plans after Mystic Timbers?

louisvillecards1

^ I absolutely hate wet soggy feet as well and thus generally avoid water rides until the end of the day.

The situations park goers encounter and very similar to hikers and backpackers just more contrived, so it helps to look at the latest trends in that community. Having done that, this off season I will be looking for a well designed pair of trail runners that offer good drainage. Those combined with wool socks, one should have no problems splashing around the park all day in relative comfort.

• Like 2

I could really see Racer getting some track work done. I'd love to see RMC install Topper Track to make a smoother, more comfortable ride. They can keep the existing wood structure and just replace the current track with Topper Track. This would keep it categorized as a wooden coaster and not a hybrid. Topper track reduces maintenance costs and improves a wooden coaster's integrity. And no, I don't want Racer to get the Colossus treatment. No inversions, just change the type of track.

I seriously recommend going to RMC's website and read how their track works and what services they provide.

http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/topper-track.php

This video I found online best represents what I think KI should do for Racer (subsittute the IBox Track for Topper Track and change the purple color of course.) I actually messaged the guy who made this coaster and applauded him for his concept. 

• Like 4

Agree with some of the others that a Mac Twist 'n' Splash would be a great addition to Planet Snoopy eventually. It's one that could be very popular with families and be very easy to theme to Peanuts.

A Splash Battle would be great addition to Rivertown but not often a fan of getting completely soaked in the dry park, but at least be close to White Water Canyon so could get it all in at once at the start or end of the day.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Not exactly a ride idea. But I would love to see them bring back the campgrounds. The great wolf lodge is too fancy for me, and I remember camping every summer next door to kings island. and hearing the sounds of the warnings of the rides starting had me pumped.

I am hoping I can remake those memories with my toddlers who love Kings Island.

• Like 6

Yes, I believe that the Columbus Zoo replaced their dinosaurs with pirates.

I highly recommend checking out the Columbus Zoo if you have not.  The zoo is amazing and their water park is pretty nice too!  Don't forget that they also have the Sea Dragon wooden coaster.  I have checked out their water park and zoo. It haven't had a chance to ride the Sea Dragon yet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Yes, I believe that the Columbus Zoo replaced their dinosaurs with pirates.

I highly recommend checking out the Columbus Zoo if you have not.  The zoo is amazing and their water park is pretty nice too!  Don't forget that they also have the Sea Dragon wooden coaster.  I have checked out their water park and zoo. It haven't had a chance to ride the Sea Dragon yet.

They have a nice collection of rides. I highly recommend their gliders, a great set! 

• Like 1

This is what i think Kings Island will do for the next five years AFTER Mystic Timbers:
2018: Snoopy Expansion, take out the petting zoo and level it and replace it with some great thrilling family/kiddie rides for the area. Construction starts back in Dino's area (check out 2019) and Vortex closes in August of this year, and begins to be dismantled.

2019: A Giga goes in place of Dino's breaking Fury 325's height, speed and length while using the back area behind Firehawk and FOF. If the coaster does not travel completely behind FOF and Firehawk i think that it will turn around near the two rides, make it's way back and use some of Vortex's old location. Also, Congo Falls is scrapped during the offseason for future expansion.

2020: Waterpark expansion with new slides back along the pathway that the lazy river goes where guests cannot walk on now, only associates can. Possibilities could be something like dorsal fin at Carowinds, or some speed slides that are TALLER than Tropical Plunge, just like the old ones where Rendezvous Run is now.

2021: Overall park improvements, Action Zone is rethemed and a couple refurbished flat rides go in Congo Fall's place.

2022: Lets start fresh over again and go back into Rivertown. I think a small expansion near Diamondback where the Tropical Smoothies stand is or along the grass near Backlot Stunt Coaster, we will see some more new flats installed and a TrioTech dark ride in Crypt's Building. OR on the other hand if they are looking to add a new coaster AGAIN, remove the Crypt building and place a Maverick 2.0 in its spot, running near Diamondback and have it built by B&M, Mack or Chance (personally I would like to see a bigger size model of Lightning Run come to the park.

I do think that we will see a Giga in Dino's spot and it breaks Fury's existing records, flat rides come to the park since Cedar Fair looks to be doing this now, I would like to see the Flight Commander pad used possibly for a Gerstlauer Sky Roller.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drummermattk said:

This is what i think Kings Island will do for the next five years AFTER Mystic Timbers:
2018: Snoopy Expansion, take out the petting zoo and level it and replace it with some great thrilling family/kiddie rides for the area. Construction starts back in Dino's area (check out 2019) and Vortex closes in August of this year, and begins to be dismantled.

2019: A Giga goes in place of Dino's breaking Fury 325's height, speed and length while using the back area behind Firehawk and FOF. If the coaster does not travel completely behind FOF and Firehawk i think that it will turn around near the two rides, make it's way back and use some of Vortex's old location. Also, Congo Falls is scrapped during the offseason for future expansion.

Woah woah woah hold on...

1. Why would they refurbish Vortex's sign for its 30th anniversary if it was just going to be dismantled a year later like you predicted? Last time I checked Cedar Fair hasn't gotten rid of any of their Arrow loopers and there's no rumors circulating that they will. Even though Vortex is older and rougher than some KI coasters, it can still hold it's own against the newer coasters that are being built today.
  2. The area that houses the petting zoo won't go. It's too useful as a stage, a possible haunt location, or as a current home for some petting zoo animals.
  3. Demolishing Dinosaurs Alive would bring excitement to most but that doesn't mean its going to happen over the next two years. Why do people even want it replaced by a giga? There's plenty of land to add a mega-sized coaster without taking out another attraction. This isn't Cedar Point. Out of the 700+ acres the park currently owns, if you combine the main park with the water park, only 397 acres have been developed. Also it seems like they've made Field of Screams a permanent haunt location as they're trying to establish more long lasting haunt attractions that don't require much setting up or tearing down so that's a no-go on removing the dinos. 
  4. Even if Dinosaurs Alive was demolished in favor of a giga it would be a poor choice of location. The land that Dinosaurs Alive currently sits on is extremely rugged which would make it extremely difficult to lay footers down as opposed to just picking a different site for the coaster all together. 
  5. Cedar Fair hasn't removed any of their water rides, with the exception of Shoot the Rapids, so why would they scrap Congo Falls?
  • Like 2

So since Greg Scheid teased the 2017 and 2018 additions at Tropical Plunge's announcement, it seems like something decently sized will hit the park next year. Seeing as how the addition of Mystic Timbers was (somewhat) uncharacteristically close to the addition of Banshee, I'm not betting on another big coaster--especially not a giga. I love Fury 325 and would die happy if there was something like it within a two-hour drive of my house, but I don't think that's reasonable to expect. Especially the year RIGHT after a coaster was added--this isn't Story and Burke's Six Flags, this is Ouimet's Cedar Fair.

Remember that in 2015, Ouimet envisioned putting a Triotech dark ride at each Cedar Fair park "eventually" as part of the Amusement Dark project. In that particular article, he mentioned that no new dark rides would show up in 2016--the next one after Knott's Voyage to the Iron Reef would arrive in 2017 at the earliest. It's 2017, and there aren't any Cedar Fair dark rides opening this year... Which makes me wonder if 2018 will be the next time we see one. And, if so, I wonder if KI will be next. The "empty box" quote at the end of that article is still very interesting to me--that seems awfully specific, even though that seems extremely early to be hinting about a 2018 addition. (The article is from April 2015.) Like, I actually can't think of any other "empty boxes" at any other Cedar Fair parks I've been to besides our old Crypt building?

But I also then think about Carowinds removing their log flume and wonder if they're actually next for a dark ride, assuming their Plants vs. Zombies ride isn't their Amusement Dark ride. (I wouldn't think so? Not if they're staying with the "world beneath our parks" theme mentioned in that particle. The Plants vs. Zombies ride definitely isn't that.) And if that's the case, I'm not sure what KI's possible 2018 addition(s) might be. Maybe some of those European/Asian flat rides that Cedar Fair had been looking for? I think most or all of the European ones have been spoken for at this point, but I don't ever remember hearing anything about what CF found in Asia. Maybe it could be that?

• Like 3

In my opinion, Kings Island could definitely use some classic flat rides.  A Music Express ride at Kings Island would be awesome.  There are a couple spots in Coney Mall that could fit a flat ride nicely.  Also, there is the old site of the Salt Water Circus, behind the Eiffel Tower and International Showplace that could use a flat ride.  That path is literally a connection, with nothing going on, besides the Paradise Island food stand that is sometimes open.

• Like 7

We really need some flats, especially in Rivertown. CoastersRZ is right when it comes to the section of land by Paradise Island, the area screams flat ride. 

In all honesty I'd love to see a Cedar Point style midway hit Kings Island. I know we have Coney Mall but it would be nice if there could be an attraction within every 50-100 feet or so. The paths behind the Eiffel Tower surrounding Backlot Stunt Coaster are extremely bare. There's plenty of room to do something.

• Like 4

Always thought it woudl be great to get a small selection of classic flats in that area, like a Tilt-a-Whirl. would be a great addition for International Showcase alongside the Carousel. Think an Enterprise would be a great addition on Flight Commanders old pad, coudl probably get an awesome lighting package like SR&R.

Would love to see some flats added in general. Be nice to get something added into Rivertown since they dont' have any flats. An Enterprise themed to a saw coudl work well there, or a Top Scan. A good Eurofighter built in or around Crypt's building themed to a mine woudl be great too (if they keep the building). Hope they at least keep teh cave for a good queue themed around a mine.

As far as ortex goes, a refurb of the sign makes it unliekly to be removed soon but it is just a sign. And could be used for a new ride utilizing the same name and/or location. Persoanlly woudl hate to see it go as it still holds up well and plenty of other areas for expansion anyway.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2016 at 5:52 PM, tuxedoman52 said:

Welcome to KIC!

I don't see anything huge for a little bit, but I'd like to see some more flat rides along with maybe a kids coaster. Judging by the OPEN land available (which there isn't a lot of), I'm assuming we'd see a removal BEFORE a huge coaster.

I'm pretty sure Kings Island has around 300 acres of undeveloped land to work with. I'm not sure  how much the park wants to expand the undeveloped land. I think it's around 350 acres right now . So there is plenty of room to develop a more land for future attractions without removing something. I also realize it will become more difficult to expand the park towards the Little Miami River due to the change in terrain levels.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BuckeyeBond said:

I'm pretty sure Kings Island has around 300 acres of undeveloped land to work with. I'm not sure  how much the park wants to expand the undeveloped land. I think it's around 350 acres right now . So there is plenty of room to develop a more land for future attractions without removing something. I also realize it will become more difficult to expand the park towards the Little Miami River due to the change in terrain levels.

Oh for sure! Kings Island owns a bunch more land. The question is, are they really going to use it? I can see adding a roller coaster that goes back through that area and uses the land, but expanding the park much more is pretty improbable to me.

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

Much of those remaining acres are not really suitable for future expansion, keep that in mind.

I don't understand this comment. Land can be changed. It just costs money. Who would have thought of MT being in its location?

• Like 8