What are Kings Islands Plans after Mystic Timbers?

louisvillecards1

9 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Who said it has anything to do with PTC requirements? It is my understanding that CF made the decision to run them forward not PTC changing polices.

I remember reading somewhere that CF has to follow the ride manufacturers requirements that the trains run forward.  It was some sort of state law if I'm remembering correctly. I think what the state law meant was all amusement parks have to follow the requirements of the manufacturer & they say the trains should be running forwards. Now this may be way off or it could be spot on. I'm not sure. But I really thing I remember reading this not to long ago.  Nevermind my statement, I actually just seen where Don posted on hear saying it was the parks decision.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonKIPR said:

The details behind the switch are it was a management decision. Running both sides forward again was a return to how the ride operated from its opening in 1972 through spring 1982, which is where nostalgia came into play.  Something old was new again for our guests. 

This is an official statement from the park.....why are we still debating it?  The fact is Racer has both sides facing forward and until the park decides to change it, it will stay that way. 

• Like 8

I know we have Mystic Timbers, so obviously we wouldn't be getting one of these any time soon, but Cedar Point and Kings Dominion both get RMCs now too? No Fair! Just saw the leaked photo of the RMC truck next to Hurler. Now with RMCs at the closest parks in either direction, we're definitely not getting one of those especially since none of our woodies need retrofit. And Mean Streak is totally stealing SOB's thunder with these 200+ rumors and probable inversions. Bummer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

And Mean Streak is totally stealing SOB's thunder with these 200+ rumors and probable inversions. Bummer.

I don't think there's much thunder to steal from SOB.

Even if there was, unlike RMC's other model, the new Mean Streak will be classified without argument as a steel coaster, not wooden.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, rcwizard13 said:

Even if there was, unlike RMC's other model, the new Mean Streak will be classified without argument as a steel coaster, not wooden.

So hybrid? 

RMC, apart from building their own ground up coasters, is mainly used to rehab rides that have potential. Though Son of Bacona, I mean Son of Beast could have used the RMC treatment, I think the best thing was just letting it fall to the ground. The only time I want to see RMC come to KI is to install some topper track on Racer or The Beast (personal preference.) 

As much as I love RMC, they are not needed at KI as much as they are needed at KD

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

As much as I love RMC, they are not needed at KI as much as they are needed at KD

Yeah we don't need any retrofits. While I think a ground-up RMC would have been a nice addition this year, I'll take a classic airtime woodie any time. Even if the name is embarrassing.

• Like 2

An RMC at KI would reallu stand out. Nowadays we seem to get rides that are comfortable, but exciting. We dont have those extreme rides like Maverick or I305 that CP and KD already have that can compliment the sometimes painfully forceful RMC airtime.

Not saying this is "why we shouldn't have an RMC right now" that reason is called Mystic Timbers

59 minutes ago, rcwizard13 said:

Haha I know SOB was hard to ride, especially at the end there, but the idea was so epic, and in its first year or two I thought it was really REALLY fun. Seems like now that CF owns it, they're getting back at KI for trying to compete with them back in the day and taking the wooden(ish) hyper looper for their own. I know it's I-box so it'll be a hybrid, but still. They're like "here you guys can have a B&M invert - everyone else had one in 1997."

This is all light-hearted by the way. Banshee is fun. And Mystic Timbers was a really cool choice (we shall see about the shed). It was really unpredicatable and unique and fits well with KI's overall appeal and should be a blast if it's as quick and full of airtime as it seems like it will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

they're getting back at KI for trying to compete with them back in the day and taking the wooden(ish) hyper looper for their own. 

It was no competition, in the early 2000s Cedar Point dominated as they cranked out 3 coasters in 4 years that well exceeded the 200, 300, and even 400ft mark. I honestly don't think the addition of Son of Beast really affected Cedar Point all that much. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Haha I know SOB was hard to ride, especially at the end there, but the idea was so epic, and in its first year or two I thought it was really REALLY fun. Seems like now that CF owns it, they're getting back at KI for trying to compete with them back in the day and taking the wooden(ish) hyper looper for their own. I know it's I-box so it'll be a hybrid, but still. They're like "here you guys can have a B&M invert - everyone else had one in 1997."

This is all light-hearted by the way. Banshee is fun. And Mystic Timbers was a really cool choice (we shall see about the shed). It was really unpredicatable and unique and fits well with KI's overall appeal and should be a blast if it's as quick and full of airtime as it seems like it will be.

CF tried numerous times and spent a considerable amount of money to save SoB.  SoB is also one of the greatest failures in roller coaster history.  CF has also made great additions to KI since the purchase.

Given everything, I cannot fathom how CF "is getting back at KI".  If KI would add another looping wood coaster so close to the SoB failure, the non-enthusiast will get the new coaster confused with SoB, hence why SoB was probably not considered for a RMC treatment, that is if RMC would even take the project on.  There were numerous rumblings that roller coaster companies wanted nothing to do with SoB given the reputation it had. 

• Like 5

On 3/7/2017 at 8:49 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Who said it has anything to do with PTC requirements? It is my understanding that CF made the decision to run them forward not PTC changing polices.

I actually contacted PTC the other day on their requirements. This is their response

Screenshot_2017-03-08-21-39-18.png

Edited by SonofBaconator
EDIT: I received this email from PTC before KI Public Relations officials made an official statement on the ride. I didn't mean to question park or not believe them, I just received the email before a statement was made and thought I'd share!
  • Like 3

On SOB- If anything, CF was gritting their teeth on SOB due to the kind of maintenance it needed to operate and it immediately blew up in their face right after purchasing the Paramount Parks.  

Also, CP opened Millennium Force the same year SOB opened, I think we know who got the better deal there. ;)

• Like 2

I am glad to have had the opportunity to experience a coaster that likely wont exist again for another 10 years (200ft real woodie) with a vertical loop of actual wooden track. Intamin is the only current probable candidate for creating a reliably smooth, though unreliably operating ride.

If SOB had gone to CP I wouldnt have had the chance to ride it as it was originally intended

• Like 2

On 3/8/2017 at 9:45 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I actually contacted PTC the other day. This is their response

Screenshot_2017-03-08-21-39-18.png

Keep in mind in regard to The Racer, "Always" means 1982 through 2007, when one side ran backwards.  Also, there is a big difference between recommend and required. You answered the ultimate question that KI was not required to run them forward or they would have never put one side backwards in the first place, and had nothing to do with PTC "requirements."  This was a park decision as Don has stated several times in this thread. I think we can put this debate to bed now.

Back on topic, X-Base was the first place CF made an addition to the park with Firehawk. It has been 10 years now and they have hit improvements in every other section of the park since. I think it is time to revisit X-Base where they started when they took over the park. I am not sure what they would add back there, but to me it logically makes sense for them to add something back there next.

• Like 9

Thanks Indy, but when a major coaster company emails you back you have to show it off a little^_^

I agree that X-Base needs something. I understand that those maintenance buildings are essential but they take away a lot of potential for any type of plausible expansion. To be honest, I rarely visit that area of the park that much anymore unless its a very slow day. I don't know what the exact ridership was over the years for Flight of Fear or Firehawk but I assume that they've only gone down significantly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Thanks Indy, but when a major coaster company emails you back you have to show it off a little^_^

I agree that X-Base needs something. I understand that those maintenance buildings are essential but they take away a lot of potential for any type of plausible expansion. To be honest, I rarely visit that area of the park that much anymore unless its a very slow day. I don't know what the exact ridership was over the years for Flight of Fear or Firehawk but I assume that they've only gone down significantly.

I'd like to see a new Skyroller, I think that would fit X-Base and or Coney Mall very well!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I know this isn't an exciting addition, but the parking lot does need some new paving. After the makeover and re-naming that Cedar Point's water park received, it makes me wonder if all of their properties will receive the same re-naming as it seems they like to be uniform across the chain. I also could see some of WWK's stuff coming here, although some of it is slated to be re-located to Michigan's Adventure.

It would also be nice too see people pick up after themselfs in the parking lot.  There are plently of trash cans in the parking lot but yet 3/4 of the people can't seem to find them.  I noticed at Disney World they had no trash cans in the parking lot but yet there wasn't a piece of trash on the ground.

• Like 4

Looking at the past history of our dark ride building, with the exception of Scooby, it tends to get a retheme about every 10 years.  If things continue on a similar timeline, that means we could see a retheme of Boo Blasters in the next 2-3 years.  I, for one, would love to see this happen.  I'd almost like to see the removal of the laser guns and for the ride to transition back to just a normal dark ride with no interactive component.  And even though I'm not 100% thrilled with the Peanuts theme, I still think a Peanuts themed dark ride (with actual animatronics and NOT cardboard cutouts) would be an fun addition to Planet Snoopy. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, westcoaster said:

I like a nice peanuts themed dark ride. Also see an interactive dark ride, possibly a 3rd dark ride phantom theatre 2 over in Oktoberfest area..

The Phantom Theater 2: Maestro's Revenge.  The phantoms, especially Maestro, are angry that they were evicted from Nickelodeon Central/Planet Snoopy, so they've decided to haunt a different area of the park.  It will be the guests/riders job to chase the revenge-seeking phantoms out of the park for good.  Who will win, the guests or the phantoms?  This could be a really exciting interactive ride with a mixture of 3D screens and practical effects.  Of course this is a HUGE stretch and it's likely we'll never see anything resembling this inside the park.  However, it's fun to think up attractions like this!

• Like 2