KIC Off Season 2017 Poll Series Week II: Kings Island Food 2016

BB1

What I found interesting this year was the fact that I had mixed reviews on the food offerings and food service this year. Some places would be expedient, while others not so much. I will say that the addition of a modern funnel cake shop was something that was a success in bringing a new feel to a classic icon of amusement parks. Not to mention the season long Souvenir cups that were a bit pricy, but effectively saved me hundreds of dollars. Therefore, what is your 2016 food review for Kings Island?

The only service issues I had were at the Snoopy area ice cream and grill locations. I felt like a problem they wanted to go away.

Ate at Reds once and the waiter was phenomenal. Food quality seems about on par with my experiences at SF. I loved park food when I was kid, not sure if it was really any better back then or just nostalgia.

The Coney Potato Works seemed that have the best chicken strips in both Ohio parks and the burrito bowl place near it was decent and had better meat than SFSTL.

SC seemed to have a very efficient food service the 2 times we ate there.

Out of the times that I've visited the park, the first few featured heavy lines with a lack of man power behind the counters. 

The quality of the food was not terrible. 

I enjoy the food at Reds, but think the experience takes too long. To wait 40 + minutes for a majority of salads at the table is quite insane. 

I did try out the Gluten Free Chicken Fingers at Coney Potato Works and they honestly were the best chicken fingers I've had at the park. 

My biggest pain with the food department at KI is the location of the self-serve soda machines in restaurants. Some of them are too close to the cash registers and the line of food. It is a pain having others jump next to you to get their refills when you're trying to balance your tray, food and get payment out. 

• Like 1

They really need a minimum of 3 more self serve beverage stations. Near entrance, Action Zone, X-base/Vortex. Unless I just haven't found them yet. Something down near beast would be good as well.

For The Beast, the train station has Freestyles, which are rarely open. Vortex has a Freestyle in the restaurant, but you would have to wait in the line. So ultimately yes I agree that we need more self serve stations around the park, preferably Freestyles.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the outrage over the food.  If the line is long, skip it.  Don't want to wait a long time at Reds HOF?  Don't.  Bring a bottle for water and don't drink pop all day (thus avoiding waits).  Pack some high protein snack in your pockets (peanuts, beef jerky, energy bar).  And I guess I don't expect a lot when it comes to fast food / deep fried stuff.  But I suppose if I spent the $$$ on a plan, I'd understand the annoyances.  Just my 2 cents.

I don't understand the outrage over the food.  If the line is long, skip it.  Don't want to wait a long time at Reds HOF?  Don't.  Bring a bottle for water and don't drink pop all day (thus avoiding waits).  Pack some high protein snack in your pockets (peanuts, beef jerky, energy bar).  And I guess I don't expect a lot when it comes to fast food / deep fried stuff.  But I suppose if I spent the $$$ on a plan, I'd understand the annoyances.  Just my 2 cents.

Are you suggesting to the members of this forum that they violate Kings Island policy and bring food into the park?

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/plan-a-visit/frequently-asked-questions

• Like 1

Overall, I would say it was pretty good.  My only not so good food experience was with Potato Works in Rivertown.  The chicken was ok, but the fries gave me a heck of an upset stomach.  Hanks was good, when you could catch it open.  Chick-Fil-A lived up to its usual good standard.  I love Skyline, but my body reminds me that it and coasters are not a good mix.

A couple of things I wish they would fix / I find annoying

1)  People in line who wait until they get up to the line to look at the menu and then try to decide what they want.  Most of the places have only limited selection and are on the menus above.

2)  Food line ques that block the traffic lanes.  They need some temporary que markers that they can place out on busy days / night

We got the meal plan and used it 87 times, so I would say that we got our monies worth.  About the only time that we did not use it was closed nights or when we were so busy riding that we forgot about it.

I agree that more drink stands would be good.  Having people jump in line to get them is annoying

• Like 1

Good grief, I guess I am not suggesting that, apologies.  However, I personally do bring an energy bar in my pocket, or a small bag of peanuts.  I'm not smuggling a 4 course meal or anything.

Bad service + overpriced + long waits + lack of nutritional options to keep me going for a full day = yeah, I don't feel like much of a criminal for bringing in something small like that.  

• Like 2