Kings Island Has A New GM!

rcwizard13

According to CP Food Blog, Greg Scheid has been promoted to Regional Vice President of Cedar Fair. Mike Koontz has been promoted to Vice President and General Manager of Kings Island. He has previously worked for Paramount's Kings Island from 1999 to 2006 and returned to some role in 2011.

Again, this is from CP Food Blog. I have not found any other confirmation.

http://cpfoodblog.com/worlds-of-fun-kings-island-executive-changes/

Edit: After taking a look a look at LinkedIn, Mike's and Greg's profile both list their reported new positions.

• Like 18

According to CP Food Blog, Greg Scheid has been promoted to Regional Vice President of Cedar Fair. Mike Koontz has been promoted to Vice President and General Manager of Kings Island. He has previously worked for Paramount's Kings Island from 1999 to 2006 and returned to some role in 2011.

Again, this is from CP Food Blog. I have not found any other confirmation.

http://cpfoodblog.com/worlds-of-fun-kings-island-executive-changes/

This is correct and Tony Carovillano is now GM for World of Fun. Tony has been at Kings Island for over 27+ years and will be missed with his KI experience as Director of Park Operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Congratulations are in order to Tony.  I worked for him for many years and he is one of the hardest working individuals I've ever met.  Him and I didn't always see eye to eye, but I look for WoF to turn a new foot with him at the helm.  He expects a lot of his employees and he will do well there.

• Like 4

Oh wow...I wish Greg the best of luck. While there were some hiccups, overall I'd say he did a great job as Kings Island GM based on my visits from 2009-2016. Mike Koontz has big shoes to fill.

Tony Carovillano also did a heck of a job- on nearly all of my visits to KI in said time frame, most coasters had great ride crews that were getting trains out fast and safely (minus maybe Firehawk- but flying coasters supposedly have terrible capacity anyway so it's really not the ride ops fault). Whoever replaces him also has big shoes to fill.

• Like 6

^ Have to remember he is the Director of Park Operations, not Ride Operations. He oversaw everything in the park, from food, Park Services, Admissions, and Rides. 

For Ride Crews you should be thanking the Ride supervisors, as well as Area Supervisors. But none the less, everyone did a great job everywhere this year.

• Like 6

^ Have to remember he is the Director of Park Operations, not Ride Operations. He oversaw everything in the park, from food, Park Services, Admissions, and Rides. 

For Ride Crews you should be thanking the Ride supervisors, as well as Area Supervisors. But none the less, everyone did a great job everywhere this year.

Oh- thanks for filling me on that. I'd still say he did a pretty good job though. Rarely have I had an issue with any of those things at the park.

• Like 3

I hope food service will be a major focus with the new administration.  I've had great experiences and dismal experiences at KI this year, yet at KD and Cwinds, no issues.  The only issues I had at CP was the waitress in one place trying to charge me .25 for my all season refill and the "side salad" at a different location.  It was some lettuce leaves, two sliced tomates and  a sliced onion.  Basically hamburger toppings.  ;)

• Like 3

I've heard rumor that he will still be in park, but will be traveling more. Just "word on the street."

That would make good sense though, in theory.

I mean, consider the amount of "power" people already in Sandusky, which would lend to having a closer corporate eye and approval closer to some of the other parks in the region.

• Like 4

The director of operations is not over food services. Mark Boyer is the VP of Food at Kings Island and has been since August (or so) of last year.
  • Like 4

He has big shoes to fill that's for sure!  It's going to be strange not seeing Greg at the park.  I hope Mike keeps going with the things people like and want, and even add things we didn't know we wanted till they showed us, like with Mystic Timbers (I think).  I wonder what this new chapter in KI history will bring us, I'm ready for it!!!  :)

• Like 4

He has big shoes to fill that's for sure! It's going to be strange not seeing Greg at the park. I hope Mike keeps going with the things people like and want, and even add things we didn't know we wanted till they showed us, like with Mystic Timbers (I think). I wonder what this new chapter in KI history will bring us, I'm ready for it!!! :)

You'll still seen Mr Scheid around, I imagine. He will be working out of Kings Island.
  • Like 7