*If* Backlot Stunt Coaster was removed....

XSHADOWx

So quick question everyone. If... Backlot Stunt Coaster was removed.... What would you like to see replace it. I personally have always thought it was just an eyesore and not that great of a ride. It especially have a distaste for it as they took out the classic antique cars for it which gave that small plot of land something kinda nice to look at.

So if you had it your way what would you do with that section of land. Also how much space would you say is actually there?

I kinda wonder if you might be able to fit a small launch coaster their similar to a small Maverick or BlueFire.. Or like Manta at Seaworld San Diego.. But give it some trees and landscaping. Not giant csrgo containers.. Maybe even theme to like classic cars of the 50s

• Like 2

I just feel that amusement park operators aren't in the business of removing multi-million dollar roller coasters unless they have a compelling reason. 

If ever something drastic were to happen to the ride, I could see it being reskinned to fit into either Coney Mall (as a "Steeplechase" or classic cars as you suggested... the "shoot-out" scene could be a diner with flaming grills cooking up burgers hahah) or Rivertown (imagine if the fire scene were made into a saloon shootout and all the "near-misses" with police cars instead being near-misses with towering trees and wagons...) I don't know.

I don't foresee anything like that happening. 

I might also argue that Backlot is like a compact version of Maverick or Manta.

• Like 9

While I do agree that BLSC is a huge eyesore with half of the effects working and think the placement of the ride was a horrid choice. The lost the tiques and eagles for it makes me dislike it even more. KI is not going to remove a multi million ride with good reliability that has guest ridership. When the time comes for BLSC to be replaced I hope something is built that looks classy or really fits in well. This plot of land is in the center of the park and right now it looks like a concrete monstrosity with shipping containers.....blah

• Like 5

I mean the placement of the ride itself is the biggest upset to me. It's smack dab in the middle of the old antique cars real estate and leaves a lot of awkward, unused pieces of land.

As you can see from this snip (provided by Google Maps), the red is the area that BLSC currently occupies and the blue is the wasted, in my opinion, pieces of land. The green in the bottom right corner is just extra property that could be utilized for land that could connect a coaster to the main land where BLSC currently occupies or just an area for some flats.

3d_zpsci767suz.png

Like I said, its the placement that makes the ride distasteful to me. There's just a lot of land that was just wasted. I honestly don't see KI getting rid of BLSC anytime soon because that would be a huge waste of money. One can only hope that Mystic Timbers takes a huge chunk of its ridership away. 

I'd love to see it replaced with an Intamin Blitz or even a first of it's kind B&M launched coaster, if B&M becomes more comfortable with making launched rides.

• Like 5

Ok some of you are discussing this in the wrong manner.. I'm not saying they would.. or are... tearing it down.. I'm just giving a what if scenario. We don't need to go into details about why they wouldn't do this.. that's not what I was asking. For those who offered their thoughts instead of "They wouldn't do this RAWR..!!!.." thanks for the conversation. I'd like to hear more ideas

Also.. i'm not specifically new here.. just lost my old account and email address so had to make a new one.

Italian Job for me was ok.. it was a 'Meh' ride It might have been better back in the day. I just think this land could be used for something better and less of an eyesore so i was thinking.. what could we put there if we had the choice..

Ok some of you are discussing this in the wrong manner.. I'm not saying they would.. or are... tearing it down.. I'm just giving a what if scenario. We don't need to go into details about why they wouldn't do this.. that's not what I was asking. For those who offered their thoughts instead of "They wouldn't do this RAWR..!!!.." thanks for the conversation. I'd like to hear more ideas

Also.. i'm not specifically new here.. just lost my old account and email address so had to make a new one.

Italian Job for me was ok.. it was a 'Meh' ride It might have been better back in the day. I just think this land could be used for something better and less of an eyesore so i was thinking.. what could we put there if we had the choice..

We can have our own opinions and we are mature enough to understand scenarios when we see them so I don't think anyone's offended. I'm also old poster but chose to return with a new identity :ph34r:

• Like 2

What if season passes were discontinued?

What if Banshee was torn down and Son of Beast was rebuilt in its place?

What if Kings Island opened for the year in February?

What if The Beast were replaced with an animatronic dinosaur park?

Anything could happen; most things won't. I think we all understood what you meant: *if.* So *if* Backlot Stunt Coaster was removed, maybe it would be replaced by a slushie stand. A Chick-Fil-A. A roller coaster. An arcade. A dark ride. A garden. Antique cars. 

You asked, "So if you had it your way what would you do with that section of land?" Given the reality we have, my answer is that given my way (and it seems others here share the same preference), I'd have Backlot Stunt Coaster on that section of land. Rawr. 

• Like 2

I think if you remove a coaster, you should replace it with a coaster. So my vote would be for another coaster when it gets removed someday.

BLSC is a fun ride and should stay around for years to come, but I have to agree that it is one of the ugliest coasters ever built.

So a removed coaster shouldn't be replaced with a pendulum ride? Looking at you Kings Dominion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I like having a family launch coaster, I'd try to put something similar there still that is just better themed to the areas. Think a Steeplechase type would be cool. Having horses you ride would give a different experience and would fit into the classic Coney area as well as Rivertown a bit with the horse theme. Think the area around it, if it took up a similar footprint to BLSC, as well as the land next to DB's turnaround could be filled in with some classic flat rides, like teacups and Tilt-A-Whirls, and more trees. 

• Like 5

I think if you remove a coaster, you should replace it with a coaster. So my vote would be for another coaster when it gets removed someday.

BLSC is a fun ride and should stay around for years to come, but I have to agree that it is one of the ugliest coasters ever built.

So a removed coaster shouldn't be replaced with a pendulum ride? Looking at you Kings Dominion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why look that far, KI did it too with King Cobra to Delirium.

• Like 8

Exactly that!  This Kings park did the "downgrade" first, and as someone who has ridden Delirium at KD, I can and will say the Mondial version is a whole lot better.  Though not as tall, it spins and swings MUCH faster, and really has some great laterals.  I admit I was cheesed off when I head they were dropping Shockwave, and yes I would have liked to see it stay, but facts are facts.

In regards to BLSC, in this hypothetical case, if it were removed Id enjoy seeing them either A)build onto the existing enclosure and create a large and immersive dark ride or B)install a well landscaped (yeah yeah, I know, thats a pipe dream with CF) area with three classic flats like purdude said including a tilt-a-whirl, tea cups that can be independently spun by the rider, and one other.

• Like 2

I really really want to like Backlot but due to me being rather skinny, I just can't completely enjoy it. I love the launch and helix, but with very little padding in the seats, the rest of the ride is really uncomfortable since my spine is being nailed against a fiberglass seat. But I would never replace it in the near future, its a objectively really good coaster for families. 

• Like 2

Pretty simple, Chris, read the whole statement.  Any Whip they WOULD approve, would be so "litigation safe" it would be a shame to even call it a whip.  Much like, as I mentioned, KIs Dodge Ems.  I dont blame them one bit for playing that game, and I truly understand WHY they do, but its just a shame to have to build rides that are a shadow of the originals.  See what Im getting at?

• Like 1